Post by Lost to the Void »

Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Amøbe
Moderate
Re: Who's on Instagram?

Post by Amøbe »

I can't seem to find my handle, when I'm on the phone, but my name is Rasmus Riegels, and I go by illumirasmus on there :)

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

The_G wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 12:13 am
Happy to follow any of you jerks. Mine is: instagram.com/musicbytheg
So for some reason I couldn't go directly to Instagram through this URL, but are you the synthwave musician I just added? :)

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

Amøbe wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 7:12 pm
The_G wrote:
So for some reason I couldn't go directly to Instagram through this URL, but are you the synthwave musician I just added? :)
Yup! Just followed you back

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 5:03 pm
I think I`m already linked up with some of you.

https://www.instagram.com/voidloss/
https://www.instagram.com/blackmonolithstudio/
Just followed you.

This is a new world for me LOL

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

The_G wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 10:09 pm
Amøbe wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 7:12 pm
The_G wrote:
Yup! Just followed you back
<3

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Lost to the Void wrote:

Wheres are the pics of the

TUBE GEAR

are you even a MASTERING ENGINEER

wheres are the TUBE GEAR pictures, pictures of

REAL HARDWARE ANALOG GEAR-GEAR with TUBEY TUBES, real BRIGHT SHINING TUBES

where are the pics of the BOUTIQUE STEPPED HIGH-END PASSIVE ANALOG MASTER EQUALIZERS

I DONT SEE ANY SONTECS

TRANSFORMERS'

TRANSFOOOOOORMERS

mervv
Jan : )

Post by mervv »

I'm @maybe_noise

Going to follow you all!

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

dubdub wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 10:44 pm
Lost to the Void wrote:

TUBE GEAR

where are the pics of the BOUTIQUE STEPPED HIGH-END PASSIVE ANALOG MASTER EQUALIZERS

I DONT SEE ANY SONTECS

TRANSFORMERS'

TRANSFOOOOOORMERS
Urgh I could rant for ages about tubes and mastering and how twats that use that as some kind of marketing are just adding to the confusion and misunderstanding of mastering. Colouration is not what mastering engineers should be doing unless specifically requested. A chain of all valve gear for mastering (and it seems to be the guys who don't really do any mastering that go down that promotion route) is not something I would want when sending my music to an engineer. It's doesn't say "minimal harm" or clean path to me. It says "I'm desperate for work, and valves are da best, that's what I have seen on innnernets, valves makes master better".

My main "tone" thing is my old valvestate reel to reel.
Which I have used precisely once in the last 12 months in the mastering room. And that was for blues band who wanted a super vintage Mississippi Delta blues era tone to the vinyl. I'm considering selling it now as it's just too unwieldy and innacurate/unpredictable for where I am at in mastering now. I'm back on the Bob Katz methodology. Absolute precision and control over everything including distortion and colouration.

I've seen a few guys show up in my feed on that VALVES on VALVES tip. Never seen any evidence of their mastering work.

I'm not a gear fetishist, even for my music when I do a making music video its emphasis is on the music, not the kit. I'm a doer, not a collector.

Sorry. Rant over. I'm resigned to the fetishization of production gear and synths. People placing more emphasis on studio gear photos than actually making music. All gear no engineer. "Look at my eurorack cable tangle,it makes music Betta"..... *Cue 90's kickdrum and blipabloop*
But in mastering it angers me. It cheapens the process. Hype has no place.
New Shit

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 2:29 pm
dubdub wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:

TUBE GEAR

I DONT SEE ANY SONTECS

TRANSFORMERS'

TRANSFOOOOOORMERS
Urgh I could rant for ages about tubes and mastering and how twats that use that as some kind of marketing are just adding to the confusion and misunderstanding of mastering. Colouration is not what mastering engineers should be doing unless specifically requested. A chain of all valve gear for mastering (and it seems to be the guys who don't really do any mastering that go down that promotion route) is not something I would want when sending my music to an engineer. It's doesn't say "minimal harm" or clean path to me. It says "I'm desperate for work, and valves are da best, that's what I have seen on innnernets, valves makes master better".

Which I have used precisely once in the last 12 months in the mastering room. And that was for blues band who wanted a super vintage Mississippi Delta blues era tone to the vinyl. I'm considering selling it now as it's just too unwieldy and innacurate/unpredictable for where I am at in mastering now. I'm back on the Bob Katz methodology. Absolute precision and control over everything including distortion and colouration.

I've seen a few guys show up in my feed on that VALVES on VALVES tip. Never seen any evidence of their mastering work.

I'm not a gear fetishist, even for my music when I do a making music video its emphasis is on the music, not the kit. I'm a doer, not a collector.

Sorry. Rant over. I'm resigned to the fetishization of production gear and synths. People placing more emphasis on studio gear photos than actually making music. All gear no engineer. "Look at my eurorack cable tangle,it makes music Betta"..... *Cue 90's kickdrum and blipabloop*
Do you get clients that are like yo bro what analogz do you have or do most not care at all?

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

dubdub wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 7:40 pm
Lost to the Void wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 2:29 pm
dubdub wrote:

TUBE GEAR

I DONT SEE ANY SONTECS

TRANSFORMERS'

TRANSFOOOOOORMERS

Do you get clients that are like yo bro what analogz do you have or do most not care at all?

Almost never.
Weirdly I've had the reverse more. Super audio obsessives who request me to use as clean a path as possible.
My policy is I master everything as I would for vinyl unless requested otherwise, as I like that sound, as do most people outside of the millenial generation.. And often people have asked for the full range that digital offers instead.

The majority of my work comes from recommendations. It's why I spend zero money on advertising. It's pointless. It's a reputation based business.
It takes time to build a client base.
It takes time to get good.
But doing good work is what is getting me clients.

I've sort of given up talking to clients about gear. Sometimes it can be depressing. I have regulars and I'll update some kit, which to me has given me this huge breakthrough and has allowed me to make by huge improvements. And I'll tell the clients about the new thing and how it allowed me to do whatever. And then they'll say something like "Sounds great, but we didn't have any issues with the stuff before this"...
And I'm there thinking hmmm maybe I didn't need to spend that 3 grand....

Like recently I've got a new bit of gear. In this case software.
There isn't a hardware equivalent. .... But it has genuinely changed the game for me quite drastically. It is allowing me to do very precise work in an area that is always troublesome in a specific situation.
There is a new trend just kicking off with labels, they are pushing the vinyl medium to it's limit and doing 6 track rather than 4 track EP's. Which is a fucking nightmare from a mastering perspective. And I've really had to sweat hard to manage all the compromises and problems you have to deal with to get it to work. Labels are happy enough where they are coming back to me to do it again, and more labels are seeing this and coming to me....against my advice I might add, I still don't think people should be doing it, but if they are then I want to make sure it's done right.....
Aaaaanway this new device is giving me way more control and letting me compromise much less, for what I think are results that border on miracle.... And to the clients it's just "cheers mate, great job"..... They seem unaware of the level of improvement....Aware but unaware, if that makes sense.

I suppose it's like that in any skilled craft.....
New Shit

kronk
refusenik

Post by kronk »

what do you mean..... some sort of eq-ing to counteract inner groove distortion?

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Extremely precisely and firmly controlled dynamics in key areas with little noticeable effect to transients and way less noticeable change than you would logically expect in medium to long transients and "punch".
It means the cut is way more controlled in the lows without them sounding pinned to the wall, and the top end isn't overly rounded out or dulled in the way that Accel limiting would have to be to keep the final level competitive.
So you get more efficiency out of the terrain. Less compromise on final level.

Multiband dynamic EQ kinda.
New Shit

orchard
quasi-public

Post by orchard »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 8:31 pm
And to the clients it's just "cheers mate, great job"..... They seem unaware of the level of improvement....Aware but unaware, if that makes sense.

My favourite quote ever.... Play from 2.09 (can't get to autoplay from there :oops: )
(applies to my job too)

youtu.be/_nwvCGLmFEA

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

orchard wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 10:10 pm
Lost to the Void wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 8:31 pm
And to the clients it's just "cheers mate, great job"..... They seem unaware of the level of improvement....Aware but unaware, if that makes sense.

My favourite quote ever.... Play from 2.09 (can't get to autoplay from there :oops: )
(applies to my job too)

youtu.be/_nwvCGLmFEA
Great quote.
New Shit

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 9:57 pm
Extremely precisely and firmly controlled dynamics in key areas with little noticeable effect to transients and way less noticeable change than you would logically expect in medium to long transients and "punch".
It means the cut is way more controlled in the lows without them sounding pinned to the wall, and the top end isn't overly rounded out or dulled in the way that Accel limiting would have to be to keep the final level competitive.

DMG Multiplicity?

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Well, it's a combination of tools, but booting out standard multiband (which I have always found disappointing, settled on Fabfilter MB but that was still meh, now booted though, I am Fabfilter free now) from the chain and replacing with Denise Audio Dragon Fire has really allowed me to get exactly what I need from the chain.

Denise Audio in general are really breaking new ground. Great company.
New Shit

subvers^v
hunger marcher

Post by subvers^v »

dubdub wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 4:45 pm
Lost to the Void wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 9:57 pm

DMG Multiplicity?
I bet it's Landr! :D
All this smoke and mirrors...
Landr makes da bass go wuuuuuumm da mostest, like diz WUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUMMMMM...in 3d colour shapes.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Landr lol
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB