What video games are you folks playing?

General Chat // Music Discussion
Lag
athlete
Re: What video games are you folks playing?

Post by Lag »

This year I mostly played Vermintide 2 (which does a great job of capturing the Warhammer feel), DoW2 (ditto), and am now playing Doom and enjoying the soundtrack and the brainless gameplay as well. Highly recommended.
You have to systematically create confusion, it sets creativity free. Everything that is contradictory creates life.

Masari
sad bastard

Post by Masari »

Mattias wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:13 pm
Couldn't keep my hands away from Sekiro Shadows Die Twice. Definitely feels comfortable being a From Software player but with some twists. So far enjoying it.
So, did u start Sekiro or detroit maybe ?
I almost finished my first run on Bloodborne ! What a game...

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

Masari wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 12:36 pm
Mattias wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:13 pm
Couldn't keep my hands away from Sekiro Shadows Die Twice. Definitely feels comfortable being a From Software player but with some twists. So far enjoying it.
So, did u start Sekiro or detroit maybe ?
I almost finished my first run on Bloodborne ! What a game...
Playing Sekiro yeah. It's difficult for sure. Feels and sounds very From Software. So far not quite as good as BB or DS though.

Happy hunting-
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

Skullrattler
quasi-public

Post by Skullrattler »

I have an unhealthy relationship with the Souls games. I sold my copy of DS3 a few months ago to make me stop playing, but ended missing it and buying it again.... but I only play online co-op. If anyone is still playing on PS4 and fancies some jolly co-op, drop me a line.

From Software's game design is in the "extreme tryhard" category as far as I'm concerned and their games are only fun if I can get to play them wih other players. Playing solo for me misses the point of video games, which is to have fun and relax. The forced PvP (Invasions) I could do without, as From's idea of "balance" is really a bunch of autistic savants trolling everyone else.

Sekiro sounds like extreme mega tryhard in true Japanese fashion!

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

Skullrattler wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 1:24 pm
I have an unhealthy relationship with the Souls games. I sold my copy of DS3 a few months ago to make me stop playing, but ended missing it and buying it again.... but I only play online co-op. If anyone is still playing on PS4 and fancies some jolly co-op, drop me a line.

From Software's game design is in the "extreme tryhard" category as far as I'm concerned and their games are only fun if I can get to play them wih other players. Playing solo for me misses the point of video games, which is to have fun and relax. The forced PvP (Invasions) I could do without, as From's idea of "balance" is really a bunch of autistic savants trolling everyone else.

Sekiro sounds like extreme mega tryhard in true Japanese fashion!
As someone who always do solo play in DS & BB It's interesting to hear this. I know there are many like you co-op to overcome struggles in their games, do you co-op through everything or mainly bosses? Reason why I like solo play in these games are the feeling of isolation and the nerve wracking you get by never knowing what's up around the corner.

Contention / 005

Skullrattler
quasi-public

Post by Skullrattler »

I don' t have the patience for the game's many shitty encounters and I tend to play barbarian/brute style rather than sneaking around so I like to deal with all that slithering backstabby vermin and overpowered humanoid enemies with overwhelming force and a good team! None of that cowardly business of luring enemies away from their gank squad to take them out one by one. Just charge in with my faithful companions and destroy! :) I don't think you can do that solo in the later areas of the game...you are forced to bait them into your own trap, and/or sneak around as facing groups of enemies solo has a very high probability of fail. Even with 2 people helping some groups are very hard to take on without breaking them up because they can hit you through each other's bodies and the damage stacks up...

The "tough but fair" reputation that these games have acquired is totally undeserved and misplaced IMO and I do beleive they are (sort of) balanced for co-op play.
And yeah I always do bosses with a team because I ain't got time for the lack of bonfires (ie checkpoints if anyone's curious) outside boss rooms...
Also I just enjoy playing co-op with random people more than on my own, especially since there is no chat box and you only have gestures and a few preset phrases to communicate with so you don't have to deal with idiots shouting or posting 14-year old boy comments. The large amount of weapons and armor makes every co-op session different. It's fun and makes it more exciting when I do occasionally go for a solo mission.

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

Skullrattler wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 6:44 pm
I don' t have the patience for the game's many shitty encounters and I tend to play barbarian/brute style rather than sneaking around so I like to deal with all that slithering backstabby vermin and overpowered humanoid enemies with overwhelming force and a good team! None of that cowardly business of luring enemies away from their gank squad to take them out one by one. Just charge in with my faithful companions and destroy! :) I don't think you can do that solo in the later areas of the game...you are forced to bait them into your own trap, and/or sneak around as facing groups of enemies solo has a very high probability of fail. Even with 2 people helping some groups are very hard to take on without breaking them up because they can hit you through each other's bodies and the damage stacks up...

The "tough but fair" reputation that these games have acquired is totally undeserved and misplaced IMO and I do beleive they are (sort of) balanced for co-op play.
And yeah I always do bosses with a team because I ain't got time for the lack of bonfires (ie checkpoints if anyone's curious) outside boss rooms...
Also I just enjoy playing co-op with random people more than on my own, especially since there is no chat box and you only have gestures and a few preset phrases to communicate with so you don't have to deal with idiots shouting or posting 14-year old boy comments. The large amount of weapons and armor makes every co-op session different. It's fun and makes it more exciting when I do occasionally go for a solo mission.
I thought so. For me, I tend to play brute style too, although a bit mixed (axe / light armor etc) and instead of brute full-charge approach you can have while playing co-op playing I really enjoy the tactical play of these games. I really think that's how they are supposed to be. Many start playing DS and assume it got this action approach to combat while it's more careful, tactical and cunning with a ton of needed patience.

I thought DS sucked when I tried it first time because I didn't get it, must be the same for everyone haha,

The gestures are brilliant.

I assume Sekiro won't be for you. No co-op. Just punishment. Haha.

Contention / 005

Skullrattler
quasi-public

Post by Skullrattler »

The first time I played Dark Souls I wanted to do bad things to the developers. Still do occasionally. The brilliant (and also annoying) thing about Souls games is that they are really vague and oblique so they can be intepreted in various ways. I tend to see them as trolling games and a parody of fantasy RPGs in general.
Souls online is a unique experience... If Capcom would make a Dragon's Dogma 2 with similar 2-4 player online co-op I would be a happy camper. Their game engine is more precise and less annoying than the one in the Souls games.

simon_marklar
Pig

Post by simon_marklar »

My pc died so it's been switch gaming for me.

- the world ends with you.
Played it on DS, this remix version is fun but the DS had a better combat system. The music awesome

- tetris 99
99 player battle royale tetris. It's insane

- katamari damacy reroll
One of the craziest games ever. It's so Japanese it hurts
ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Playing Dark Future - Red States at the moment.

It`s a lot of fun recapturing the old tabletop game in digital form.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

simon_marklar wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 8:09 am

Played it on DS, this remix version is fun but the DS had a better combat system. The music awesome

- tetris 99

- katamari damacy reroll
My girlfriend has a switch. Do you know if there are any good science fiction/cyberpunk themed games for that?

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

Soon done with Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice. The final boss is a motherfucker. From Software really notched it up this time.

Contention / 005

simon_marklar
Pig

Post by simon_marklar »

Amøbe wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 10:50 am
simon_marklar wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 8:09 am

- tetris 99

- katamari damacy reroll
My girlfriend has a switch. Do you know if there are any good science fiction/cyberpunk themed games for that?
As far as i've seen, not really. There's a few mech oriented games but they are so-so. Daemon X Machina has a demo and is pretty fun, might be one to watch.

and i assume that you have heard of it, but if not, Cyberpunk 2077 (probably on everything but the switch) is one to look out for:

youtu.be/UjxS9ciNlII
ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪

timc3
Back Bling

Post by timc3 »

Summer time, and it's always light outside so I am hanging up the controllers for a while.

P0607r0n
Metric Martyr

Post by P0607r0n »

timc3 wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 2:10 pm
Summer time, and it's always light outside so I am hanging up the controllers for a while.
Are you crazy? You might get tanned because of that. Bleh.
I usually play lot of games in the summer. I’m not compatible with the temperatures above 25c.

Got myself PS4 finally, just finished RDR2 (wonderful game)
And not grinding my teeth on DS3, so might drop you a message SkullRattler. :D

JARHEAD
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by JARHEAD »

RE Playing all the GTA series from Vice city up

marley
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by marley »

marley
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by marley »

Talking of PS1 Doom....none of your 'adaptive' music nonsense here. The only game I've ever played where I've left the music 'ON' at all times.
Big up Aubrey Hodges for making this album available.
You wont find this on Axis...https://aubreyhodges.bandcamp.com/track ... s-extended
Good times. Good times....

Monreal
You only live once

Post by Monreal »

Anybody here playing the Octopath Traveler game?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/9215 ... _TRAVELER/

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Am on Yakuza 0 at the moment.
Story heavy Yakuza action rpg.
Suitably bonkers but fun so far.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.