Dark Lab / Studio Thread

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
arc
^^ Has a Drumcode Tattoo
Dark Lab / Studio Thread

Post by arc »

Post pictures of your lab / studio!

Here's mine:

and here's a screenshot of my computer...

I know this isn't much of a "studio" since I don't have any hardware or anything, but I sure can squeeze some nice sounds out of that setup, that's for sure.

Now post yours. :]

AMorant
rescued
Re: Dark Lab / Studio Thread

Post by AMorant »

arc
^^ Has a Drumcode Tattoo

Post by arc »

Very nice Andrei! (Nice to see you here also! Longtime fan...)

AMorant
rescued

Post by AMorant »

Thanks man! great forum

ARiFF
snıuǝƃ ǝsɹǝʌǝɹ

Post by ARiFF »

arc wrote:
I know this isn't much of a "studio" since I don't have any hardware or anything, but I sure can squeeze some nice sounds out of that setup, that's for sure.

I'll post something this afternoon. I disagree with your statement though : it's not because you don't have any hardware that you cant call it a studio setup. Looks like a nice homestudio to me ;)

arc
^^ Has a Drumcode Tattoo

Post by arc »

ARiFF wrote:I disagree with your statement though : it's not because you don't have any hardware that you cant call it a studio setup. Looks like a nice homestudio to me ;)
I'm just imagining what kind of studios some of the more established artists on the forum are using compared to mine. But yeah, there is actually quite a bit of money invested in my setup. It's crazy how much money you can throw into this stuff over the years.

Opuswerk
beast

Post by Opuswerk »

Love those threads... :mrgreen:

Mine looks a bit like that. Albeit it's in the living room. It's basically just a big table filled with cables and stuff :D
Need to find a proper camera for a better shot though.
out on DEMENT3DXXX.
http://www.opuswerk.com

ARiFF
snıuǝƃ ǝsɹǝʌǝɹ

Post by ARiFF »

Opuswerk wrote: Mine looks a bit like that. Albeit it's in the living room. It's basically just a big table filled with cables and stuff :D
mmmm that looks tasty to play around with, a lot of knobs and wires... Makes me feel like im a rocket scientist sometimes haha :D

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

ARiFF wrote:
arc wrote:

I'll post something this afternoon. I disagree with your statement though : it's not because you don't have any hardware that you cant call it a studio setup. Looks like a nice homestudio to me ;)
absolutely !
in the end the music you come out with is all that counts !

I for one have way too much gear I can properly justify,
but I've decided a long time ago that nothing makes me happier than good quality audio stuff (and working with audio in all kinds of ways),
so as long as I'm using the gear I have and it makes me happy, I stopped caring about how much money I invested into it.

many people come home and watch television every single night of their lives, is that so much better ? :lol:
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

StandardModel
skaghead

Post by StandardModel »

Opuswerk wrote:Love those threads... :mrgreen:

Mine looks a bit like that. Albeit it's in the living room. It's basically just a big table filled with cables and stuff :D
wow changed a bit!
looking forward to Feb!

Opuswerk
beast

Post by Opuswerk »

There should hopefully be some stuff that got fixed too ;) Mostly thinking about the SDE-3000 delay, and maybe maybe the naughty MKS70. Else it'll be an AnalogFour :)
out on DEMENT3DXXX.

arc
^^ Has a Drumcode Tattoo

Post by arc »

Very nice setup Opuswerk. Looks like it would be a blast to jam on all that gear.

That's one thing about software that you miss out on, jamming your gear like an instrument. Of course you can have controllers and whatnot to do it, but it's just not as intuitive as dedicated gear. The knobs on most synths feel really nice, unlike most MIDI controllers. I can't stand endless knobs and velocity curves. The knobs on my Arturia keyboard send out jumpy values, so there's always little spikes and drops in my recorded automation, which I usually have to go back and edit manually. (Arturia's keyboards are a waste BTW, my Axiom 49 before this was way better.)

Software forces you to approach music production like a programmer. You are building music rather than playing it, if that makes any sense. Which works for me since I have a programming background and I enjoy building things in a technical manner, but I wish software had better controllers than what's currently on the market so I could jam every now and then without all the hassle.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

arc wrote:Very nice setup Opuswerk. Looks like it would be a blast to jam on all that gear.

That's one thing about software that you miss out on, jamming your gear like an instrument. Of course you can have controllers and whatnot to do it, but it's just not as intuitive as dedicated gear. The knobs on most synths feel really nice, unlike most MIDI controllers. I can't stand endless knobs and velocity curves. The knobs on my Arturia keyboard send out jumpy values, so there's always little spikes and drops in my recorded automation, which I usually have to go back and edit manually. (Arturia's keyboards are a waste BTW, my Axiom 49 before this was way better.)

Software forces you to approach music production like a programmer. You are building music rather than playing it, if that makes any sense. Which works for me since I have a programming background and I enjoy building things in a technical manner, but I wish software had better controllers than what's currently on the market so I could jam every now and then without all the hassle.
All depends on the setup, how YOU decide to work it, and of course, the quality of your controllers, if you spend more on high end controllers, you get nicer nobs and faders.
Personally I find no difference to using hardware/software none of it is the same as actually playing an instrument (I play guitar, keyboard and drums), so it is never really like playing music. Dance music is sequenced, it is all pushing buttons and twiddling nobs, regardless of setup.
IF you are approaching your music as a programmer with software, then the problem is yours, not the tools.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

arc
^^ Has a Drumcode Tattoo

Post by arc »

Lost to the Void wrote:All depends on the setup, how YOU decide to work it, and of course, the quality of your controllers, if you spend more on high end controllers, you get nicer nobs and faders.
Personally I find no difference to using hardware/software none of it is the same as actually playing an instrument (I play guitar, keyboard and drums), so it is never really like playing music. Dance music is sequenced, it is all pushing buttons and twiddling nobs, regardless of setup.
IF you are approaching your music as a programmer with software, then the problem is yours, not the tools.
I see your point.

morbid
Suspect Handshake

Post by morbid »

Opuswerk wrote:Love those threads... :mrgreen:

Is that the Kick Lancet or the other one? - If its the kick how do you find it?

Also how are you using the Bitstream? What is it controlling?

rktic
Utter Cunt

Post by rktic »

My shrine

arc
^^ Has a Drumcode Tattoo

Post by arc »

Wow. That's a beautiful setup you got there.

Patriek
Mititei

Post by Patriek »

God lol, i should take a picture of my setup. It's hilerious :D i will try to sort it tomorrow.
Don't try for perfect, it's never enough
https://hearthis.at/patriek/
http://www.soundcloud.com/patriek

Opuswerk
beast

Post by Opuswerk »

Hey morbid, this is the MonoLancet. I tried the Kick Lancet and didn't like it so much.

About the Bitstream, i was using it for 4 Decks djsets with Traktor, but i now switched back to 12", so i programmed it to control any VST, or my in "repair since to long" mks70, as i don't have a PG800 and they are too darn expensive. I haven't gotten round to using all its functions, but all i can say is that it really is a great controller. :)
out on DEMENT3DXXX.

mjudge
Pig

Post by mjudge »

rktic wrote:My shrine

I like how you have your vinyl within reach -- practical and inspirational.