It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:49 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Ableton mono signals
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:50 pm 
Gnasher

Hi,
as far as I know there is no way of having a mono signal in ableton. Stereo signals can be monoized using utility or something similar but it is still two audiostreams just having identical data. Now what happens if a mono plugin is placed in the signal path? Is one of the two streams just cut while the other is running through the plugin or is one of the channels processed and the other one remains untouched or are the two channels mixed togehter?
If it is just one channel going into the plugin and the other one is cut. Which channel will go in and which wont? What happens when the audio is leaving the plugin? Will there be one channel muted or will the monosignal be split onto both channels? I am asking as there are mono versions of plugins and for sounds that go mono anyway (which in my case is lots - will get panned later of course) it probably would be way more cpu intense to have all of those processed in stereo.
Thanks for helping

Jens

Post subject: Re: Ableton mono signals
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:43 pm 
pregnant

Dont get caught up on the actual signal visuals. Something can still be mono even if theres 2 bars on the channel level.

I arrange in FL studio and theres always a 2 sided channel level, but when i collapse a sound into mono, its 100% a mono signal now, regardless of what my eyes are seeing.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:04 am 
Gnasher

Cool. Thanks for the answer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:00 am 
unsure

You can test yourself by hard panning two channels left/right, grouping them and putting a mono on the group submix. What do you hear?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:18 am 
Interact. Don't Spam.

When you make a signal mono, you're effectively summing the left and right together. So neither signals are getting removed, if it were you would be losing information. Although be careful when you have wide sounds and would like to make them mono, you will possibly run into phasing problems. You might be thinking of the left signal being the mono signal usually in hardware. I usually use mono versions of EQ's or Compressors if I am treating a mono signal such as sub frequencies and bass drums. Sometimes you may want to make a sample that has some space on it, mono, so you throw on a mono vst or a utility. In regards to CPU usage, if you're sending a mono signal into a stereo vst, the vst is not processing any stereo signals so there wouldn't really be much difference in CPU usage.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:49 pm 
Interchangeable

Finesse wrote:
When you make a signal mono, you're effectively summing the left and right together.

Unless you use something like ableton Utility stereo control. Then, if you are setting it to mono by pulling down the stereo to zero percent you ARE losing information because you are just turning down the sides and not engaging mono summing.

So you have to be careful how you do things. The advantage of the mid side method is that you are always going to be phase coherent.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:46 am 
Pig

I find using the mono tool but selecting only the left or right is a far better result