When life gets in the way of music

General Chat // Music Discussion
The_G
Artificial Hazard
When life gets in the way of music

Post by The_G »

So I just had a frustrating setback in my work life, which I'm struggling to get over. This makes me want to pour myself into music, but I'm finding that it's also sapping my creative energy. I can't seem to channel my frustration into something creative, which in turn might also help me feel less frustrated.

What do you guys do when you're in this kind of situation, regardless of why it's happening? Could be work stuff, family or personal life, depression or anxiety that isn't related to any specific events, etc.

WOLF!
Grand
Re: When life gets in the way of music

Post by WOLF! »

If you like sports that can be a very good thing to clear the mind and sleep well.
If you have kids don't forged the person you made them with. Go out without those little f*ckers and enjoy that relaxing time :D.
Book a holiday and use that as a goal to reach. Everybody needs off time; even machines need maintenance!

SHIDZO
pregnant

Post by SHIDZO »

Yep, sport :) And maybe treat yourself to a little something. Maybe go out and dance for some creative input. There is a similar thread with some decent replies http://subsekt.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3845 Hope that helps

msl
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Post by msl »

I had 2 years of making lemonade. Not much to be done, just deal with it, get through it. Only getting back to a routine and some productivity now. Try and enjoy the small things.
www.bernadettetrax.bandcamp.com
www.soundcloud.com/michaellovatt

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.” Dune

RWise
durchfall

Post by RWise »

If making music isnt working as the escape then dont force it. Thatll only stress you out more. Like the others have said, go play some sports, go out in nature for a walk, go see a movie at the cinema, go for a meal or drink with someone.. Just any pleasurable activity to calm your mind down.

Then when you feel ready, get back to the studio and try make something.
Dont take life so seriously :mrgreen:

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Drink Tequila, get in to a fight with a bouncer, come home with no shoes.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

RWise wrote:If making music isnt working as the escape then dont force it. Thatll only stress you out more. Like the others have said, go play some sports, go out in nature for a walk, go see a movie at the cinema, go for a meal or drink with someone.. Just any pleasurable activity to calm your mind down.

Then when you feel ready, get back to the studio and try make something.
Probably the way to go. I have so little music time as is, that I want it to be as productive as possible. I guess if it's not happening, need to clear my head and then hunker down again.

Prophän
Back Bling

Post by Prophän »

I always found sport to be a good way to escape life's problems, this or smoking weed :lol: but i'd still go for the first option since it's far healthier

intrusav
Rolf Harris

Post by intrusav »

Smoke weed while sporting, maybe, perhaps?
Or just get drunk, fall on yer face, break your cheekbone, get three nights dans le hopsital and...no, wait. That didn't work for me. Forget it!

It's strange actually. Used to have an hour commute and spent it tricking about with Ableton. Moved to get the commute down to 30 mins and now I bring my laptop but barely take it out. Just noticed today cos was on the train for an hour earlier and yes, I stuck the buds in and that journey flew ..

msl
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Post by msl »

Yes sport and exercise is the best thing to do, tire the body and the mind thinks less.

Sadly I belong to the lets binge on food, drink and drugs camp.
www.bernadettetrax.bandcamp.com
www.soundcloud.com/michaellovatt

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.” Dune

Prophän
Back Bling

Post by Prophän »

msl wrote: Sadly I belong to the lets binge on food, drink and drugs camp.
I'm slowly switching to this camp and the results are pretty obvious :lol: feeling tired all the time, getting fat and more...

intrusav
Rolf Harris

Post by intrusav »

Tell me about it. Tired, tired, tired...

Squill
non reader

Post by Squill »

Join the club. The job can be stressful and takes time out of music (and inspiration) so I've I tried vacations, going out to different music events, sitting in front on the computer hopping to crack something out. Best thing to do is probably make music when that urge comes up. Enjoy life for now and the things that make you happy, it ain't a race with music.

disparate
I forgot.... So baked.

Post by disparate »

+1 on this, not so much on the work front (job has its upsides, I've gone into this elsewhere..) but some setbacks in social life, love life and couple of negative developments in mental and physical health lately, latter ruling out most sport/exercise atm. All proving to be a bit distracting from the ability to sit and focus on music. Better in the last few days though.

I'm not sure what to say exactly but curious to keep up. Seeing friends or just having a bit of company even if it isn't your favourite people helps if sitting around on your own trying to do stuff is just driving you mad.

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

The_G wrote:So I just had a frustrating setback in my work life, which I'm struggling to get over. This makes me want to pour myself into music, but I'm finding that it's also sapping my creative energy. I can't seem to channel my frustration into something creative, which in turn might also help me feel less frustrated.

What do you guys do when you're in this kind of situation, regardless of why it's happening? Could be work stuff, family or personal life, depression or anxiety that isn't related to any specific events, etc.
Mate.

I fucked up my knee big time and gained a shit ton of weight through beer and not being able to do exercise.

Now I'm re-habbing my knee by hitting the gym daily after the kids are in bed, and also trying to get in some sort of shape other than 'round'.

Point being that by the time I get to sit down at 9pm, I'm done for the day. I just wanna watch Bojack Horseman and go to sleep (as my youngest wakes up at 4.45).

So my health and fitness need to take priority for the next few months. It sucks, but we all have a finite time on this planet. Much less than you realise and you gotta make priorities innit.

ZenoSupreme
arsehole

Post by ZenoSupreme »

like some others said already, don't force it, take a break. Perhaps you can think out some ideas before you actually try them out. Doing this helps me to get the feel back of making music when I have no inspiration. Try to listen to new music, also different genres, not nessecarily for ideas, just for relaxation. Sports is also very nice to do, even if it's just a long walk...

For me it doesn't work to force it, creativity is something that needs to flow.

acesd619
Gnasher

Post by acesd619 »

I've been dealing with some work/personal stress lately so I can relate.

There is a saying - "When fishermen can't go to sea, they mend their nets."

Or maybe they get into a bit of chaos as was suggested.

My point is we can still put forth the effort into catching fish later on in the voyage. I couldn't make music the past couple days but I learned more about some plugins, experimented with some core ideas, bounced a bunch of samples and critically listened to some inspiring tunes. :idea: