will fuck for food
Re: Thoughts about Psy-trance genres

Post by quest »

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

The_G wrote:To each their own. It's not my place to judge other people's tastes or interests. And I enjoyed going to Escape from Samsara and the other one in London back in the '90s. But I never liked the music. As others have said, it all sounds the same. And, to me, the template is pretty corny to begin with.
Escape from samsara (was mostly Goa trance for the trustafarians), I suspect the "the other one" was Pendragon.
They were the worst most commercial representation of the psy scene at the time. Strictly for tourists.

All the good stuff was at Astral Phoenix, Cosmic Carrot, (the legendary) Megatripolis, Trancentral, Chimaera. And Whirlygig if you really wanted to hippy it up.
Basically anything not at Brixton or Bagley's.

The best stuff was generally held in Tyssen St studios, or Four aces. All the run down parts of hackney and dalston and tottenham. The best ones were illegal. Dragonfly did some good parties too.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

mainst09 wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:Barely developed since I was in to it in the 90s.
People keep telling me oh no you need to hear "insert latest name for almost indistinguishable sub sub genre of pay trance" but it ends up sounding the same as shit I dug in the 90s. Dugga dugga or oompah basslines. Crappy kick drums, very simple percussion, noodling arpeggios, lots of filter sweeps, the odd half step or 6\8 breakdown.......

Would like to be shown something that deviates from this but, never happens.
To say that psy-trance didnt evolve from the 90s is just speaking without knowing sorry because one of sub genres of psy trance darkpsy and that includes forest started in the 2000s and you have hitek that started long after that.

You may not like it at all but to say it didnt evolve is a joke. The thing with psy trance (the psy trance im talking about is darkpsy not that full one prog shit) it is hard to get into, it took me a lot of time until i started to enjoy it because the tracks are super "crowded". To say that psy trance is simplistic and repetitive is talking without listening properly, almost all of the darkpsy artists have their own sound you guys only say this kind of stuff because you don't listen enough time to understand what they're trying to do there you just can't listen to listen to 3 mins or like 1 track to say psy trance is repetitive, psy trance is way more advanced than techno they're not scared of trying new kinds of sounds even if it sounds super dark and stupid AND i would love to see a techno producer doing at least a darkpsy track i dare you, this guys take like 4,5 years to produce an album, it takes a long time and patience just to finish 1 track,

I admit that psy trance is really hard to listen to and appreciate but once you go through that initial phase you enter in a magical world, believe me that there is nothing like listening to some darkpsy with a great soundsystem.
It always surprise me how people who originally come from techno always say the same shit about psy trance when you should be the ones giving it some credit, Psy trance is in better shape than ever because now with computers they can do what the old guys dreamed of, this is what i think. I now will leave you some examples of what for me is Psy Trance and i repeat that Darkpsy is way different that all that commercial shit its like saying tech house or bumcode tracks are real techno.

My aim here is to show you that every artist in the darkpsy realm has is own style.

This 2 guys are two of my fav producers
youtu.be/uA8kQqvY4Uc

youtu.be/wSgD3PZA6lI

youtu.be/Tusg8yflUBM

youtu.be/TzGzmZRAbJ8

youtu.be/iTg1rdpBVLE

youtu.be/n1OI92rZz8o

youtu.be/CdAWGHLV5PU

youtu.be/jfHQ3JGBU_E

youtu.be/oseZeqmCu50

youtu.be/_78yZfVE55k

Well done!!!
You made my point for me with those links.
That shit sounds just the same as the shit I was tripping out to in the 90s.
And barely sounds distinguishable from the shit I have on vinyl and cd from back than.
All the clichés are present, I rest my case.

Insert-new-name-for-same-old-shit-here. In your case "dark" psy.
I mean yeah, it's a matter of taste wether you like it or not, but you have merely added yourself to the number of people who have played me "new" psytrance, given it a new name, but demonstrated no progress whatsoever since the late 90's.
New Shit

Squill
non reader

Post by Squill »

Love it. There's good and bad in the genre of course. If you're seeing someone like John 00 Fleming for a night it's a treat and a half.

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

I really like to hang around at psy festies, but for fucks sake, I couldn't listen to this stuff at home.

But I have to back up Steve here. My first psytrance party was the infamous Hirsch Festival in 94. Compared to the psytrance stage at Fusion Festival 2016, the difference was... äähm...well, there was absolutely no difference. Same music,same kind of people.
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

Lost to the Void wrote:
The_G wrote:To each their own. It's not my place to judge other people's tastes or interests. And I enjoyed going to Escape from Samsara and the other one in London back in the '90s. But I never liked the music. As others have said, it all sounds the same. And, to me, the template is pretty corny to begin with.
Escape from samsara (was mostly Goa trance for the trustafarians), I suspect the "the other one" was Pendragon.
They were the worst most commercial representation of the psy scene at the time. Strictly for tourists.

All the good stuff was at Astral Phoenix, Cosmic Carrot, (the legendary) Megatripolis, Trancentral, Chimaera. And Whirlygig if you really wanted to hippy it up.
Basically anything not at Brixton or Bagley's.

The best stuff was generally held in Tyssen St studios, or Four aces. All the run down parts of hackney and dalston and tottenham. The best ones were illegal. Dragonfly did some good parties too.
No, not Pendragon. It was the Astral Phoenix parties I was thinking of. (I had a friend who was hardcore into psy and goa so I'd tag along sometimes.)

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Astral Phoenix was great. Mostly Israeli Psy, but they went nuts on soundsystems and decor. Cosmosis played there loads of times.
The parties they did at Tyssen St were awesome.
That place was so lawless, everyone got sooo fucked. Total freedom... Berghein before Berghein.
It was a shame to lose that place, there were good techno parties there too.
It's so fucking hip around there now it's unreal. Used to be murder central around there.

Oh Kundalini was another psy party. Same vibe as Astral Phoenix.

I used to live over the road from the Escape from Samsara\Pendragin guys when I lived in bounds green.
New Shit

TomasHD
slipper

Post by TomasHD »

quest wrote:For me, somewhat ironically in retrospect, I was really into a subgenre called techtrance that was only really around in the late 90s and early 00s, it was very very techno influenced and the tracks all had quite a bit unique about them. Artists include X-Dream, Spirallianz, Midimiliz, The Delta, some Wizzy Noise, and quite a few others.

But tbh I noticed the same thing happening some people already mentioned, after that the styles seemed to converge on the full on and dark sound and everyone was really using the same techniques again and again...

Now all these years later I'm trying to find new stuff that's really unique but it is like looking for a needle in a haystack. I'm still pretty influenced by the old techtrance sound in my own techno but I just can't seem to take any new influences in from the genre.
Man, I love techtrance and X-Dream is one of my all time favorites:

youtu.be/H9KX0CoMUOk

chabo
non reader

Post by chabo »

I think you are a bit grumpy!

there is a lot of really good music out there and drugs a lot of drugs

My take

youtu.be/rDpWhofWPiU

youtu.be/oj4e7GAGAto
Last edited by chabo on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mainst09
Traits

Post by mainst09 »

Yep, psy trance is way more evolved and futuristic than techno yet they say it hasnt evolved because the kind of synths used are the same.
Voices From Cindy's Cunt

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears
Re: Thoughts about Psy-trance genreslisten

Post by over9000 »

i was in love with psytrance for a long time, now i dont listen to it that much anymore. mostly before i play at some party in the woods.
i really like psytrance festivals and had some amazing experiences there.
anyway i think its unfair to say that the genre hasent evolved. but its true, that there are far less different rhythms and song structures in psytrance then for example in techno.
but techno hasent really evolved either imo. its also still the same, in the underlying structure.
processing and possibilities have evolved but thats the same for every genre.
and there are artists already mentioned and some like sectio aurea, psykovsky, kindzadza etc who are really pushing an experimental kind of psytrance.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

mainst09 wrote:Yep, psy trance is way more evolved and futuristic than techno yet they say it hasnt evolved because the kind of synths used are the same.
Everything is the fucking same.
Same drums, same arrangements, same bloody filtering tricks, it hasn`t evolved AT ALL.
We`ve all listened man, and everyone has said the same thing.
You just can`t see the forest for the trees mate.

Not saying it`s bad, it just hasn`t progressed since the 1990`s.

As yet you have provided no evidence of anything that doesn`t sound like psy/power/goa/israeli from the 90`s
New Shit

mainst09
Traits

Post by mainst09 »

Lost to the Void wrote:
mainst09 wrote:Yep, psy trance is way more evolved and futuristic than techno yet they say it hasnt evolved because the kind of synths used are the same.
Same drums, same arrangements, same bloody filtering tricks, it hasn`t evolved AT ALL.

As yet you have provided no evidence of anything that doesn`t sound like psy/power/goa/israeli from the 90`s
Yes but i get what you're saying and i agree what i think you guys fail to understand is that in the 90's you didnt have darkpsy or Hi-Tech, it is indeed different, Darkpsy is different from the israeli stuff because the israeli stuff is more progressive and use other kind of sounds like chord progressions and all that shit, with darkpsy the synth work is like completely free.

And sorry but you really do need to listen to a wide variety of artists to spot the differences, like i said before when i first started listening it was all the same to me nothing made sense but after some time i started to understand what they're doing and this is why i always say this stuff is not all the same.

I'm sorry if im being stubborn!!
Voices From Cindy's Cunt

Revaron
reverse genius

Post by Revaron »

I don't know what sub-genre Eat Static would fit into, but I've still got time for them. Otherwise - no thanks. Basically same for me as many others, parties are good, music is meh at best, put up with it in the 90s when I was off my nut on acid, but have no interest now. I did my time at Spacehopper at the Q club in Brum, and in forests and shit. And a bit at Glade when I was old enough to know better but was curious to see what Hallucinogen or whoever were up to at the time - which was basically the same thing. Respect to people who are into it though, I'm sure there are plenty of psy nuts who say the same stuff about techno.

Eat Static though - they're something else - banging as fuck:

youtu.be/Y0Jy416FDWE

mainst09
Traits

Post by mainst09 »

Revaron wrote:I don't know what sub-genre Eat Static would fit into, but I've still got time for them. Otherwise - no thanks. Basically same for me as many others, parties are good, music is meh at best, put up with it in the 90s when I was off my nut on acid, but have no interest now. I did my time at Spacehopper at the Q club in Brum, and in forests and shit. And a bit at Glade when I was old enough to know better but was curious to see what Hallucinogen or whoever were up to at the time - which was basically the same thing. Respect to people who are into it though, I'm sure there are plenty of psy nuts who say the same stuff about techno.

Eat Static though - they're something else - banging as fuck:

youtu.be/Y0Jy416FDWE
That is true tho, psy nuts generally have a bad idea of techno
Voices From Cindy's Cunt

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

mainst09 wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:

Yes but i get what you're saying and i agree what i think you guys fail to understand is that in the 90's you didnt have darkpsy or Hi-Tech, it is indeed different, Darkpsy is different from the israeli stuff because the israeli stuff is more progressive and use other kind of sounds like chord progressions and all that shit, with darkpsy the synth work is like completely free.

And sorry but you really do need to listen to a wide variety of artists to spot the differences, like i said before when i first started listening it was all the same to me nothing made sense but after some time i started to understand what they're doing and this is why i always say this stuff is not all the same.

I'm sorry if im being stubborn!!

I listen to a shit ton of music, from contemporary orchestral to electro, bluegrass to industrial, I'm not some idiot who can't spot differences in music.
I (we all here) have not failed to understand anything.
Every time you have talked about pay in this forum you link stuff, and every time it sounds the same as 90s psy.
I mean, you call it "dark" Psy, but it sounds like...... Psytrance.
As does hi-tech.
I mean, they might use slightly different instrumentation.
But its like playing old rockabilly and using a gretsch guitar instead of telecaster.
It's still the same shit.

To answer this
And sorry but you really do need to listen to a wide variety of artists to spot the differences,

like i said before when i first started listening it was all the same to me nothing made sense

but after some time i started to understand what they're doing and this is why i always say this stuff is not all the same.
I'll break it down.
I've listened to all the artists you linked. It all sounded like 90s Psy.

It all makes perfect sense to me.

I can completely hear and understand what they are doing, it's mainly arpeggios, staccato riffs, lots of delay, lots of filter sweeping.

Exactly the same methods and techniques and sounds that have been used in Psy forever and ever from here to eternity.

Unless you can demonstrate otherwise.
New Shit

intrusav
Rolf Harris

Post by intrusav »

Still, you gotta love it for what it is. Maybe it can't be improved? ..

RWise
durchfall

Post by RWise »

intrusav wrote:Still, you gotta love it for what it is. Maybe it can't be improved? ..
Its a marmite genre of music. You either love it or....
Dont take life so seriously :mrgreen:

intrusav
Rolf Harris

Post by intrusav »

RWise wrote:
intrusav wrote:Still, you gotta love it for what it is. Maybe it can't be improved? ..
Its a marmite genre of music. You either love it or....
marmite my bollocks. I have a solid memory of goa trance back in the nineties and it made an impression. Super. Nostalgia maybe ..

mainst09
Traits

Post by mainst09 »

Lost to the Void wrote: I listen to a shit ton of music, from contemporary orchestral to electro, bluegrass to industrial, I'm not some idiot who can't spot differences in music.
I (we all here) have not failed to understand anything.
Every time you have talked about pay in this forum you link stuff, and every time it sounds the same as 90s psy.
I mean, you call it "dark" Psy, but it sounds like...... Psytrance.
As does hi-tech.
I mean, they might use slightly different instrumentation.
But its like playing old rockabilly and using a gretsch guitar instead of telecaster.
It's still the same shit.

To answer this
And sorry but you really do need to listen to a wide variety of artists to spot the differences,

like i said before when i first started listening it was all the same to me nothing made sense

but after some time i started to understand what they're doing and this is why i always say this stuff is not all the same.
I'll break it down.
I've listened to all the artists you linked. It all sounded like 90s Psy.

It all makes perfect sense to me.

I can completely hear and understand what they are doing, it's mainly arpeggios, staccato riffs, lots of delay, lots of filter sweeping.

Exactly the same methods and techniques and sounds that have been used in Psy forever and ever from here to eternity.

Unless you can demonstrate otherwise.

Ok you had me mate, sometimes i forget most users here have way more musical experience than me, taste is a big factor indeed!!
Voices From Cindy's Cunt