Xmas Music Related Purchases

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Mono-xID
Uumfääng
Re: Xmas Music Related Purchases

Post by Mono-xID »

Markus Wolf wrote:Apparently someone had discovered this when comparing a newly bought pair and an older pair that had been in use for some time. I know some people say its a compete myth but I can see the theory behind the drivers moving more easily after prolonged burn in.
Voidloss " burn-in is a fuckin' myth"-rant incoming !!!!! :twisted:
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths

Markus Wolf
reverse genius

Post by Markus Wolf »

BTW I should mention that I cant say from my own experience because Ive never noticed a difference but there does seem to be some strong believers of burn in time out there on the interwebs...Wether or not its true I guess in reality it doesnt really matter because if its true eventually it will happen anyways....

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

nomadjames wrote:My Lyra-8 is built, 4 months ahead of schedule. Paying for it this week.
this must be like the 1st synth I've seen in ages that really gives me GAS.

Everything about that synth is unique,
what an inspiring instrument,
and for a very reasonable price.

thx for mentioning it, hadn't heard of it before,
but then I don't exactly follow much gear news.
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

td3l
reverse genius

Post by td3l »

It's been an inexpensive xmas: I bought a 10,000 dpi mouse and nice mouse pad (ITB bastard). Such an improvement.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

I still use the large ass cheesy and ugly as hell Razer gaming mousepad I bought when I was like 14. It gives my setup that little something :)

https://www.amazon.de/Razer-Mantis-Cont ... B000BT5E5Q

Dussle
Exampleless

Post by Dussle »

I just got me a Dreadbox Erebus delivered. like a month ago but it is still christmas.

I also got a double keyboard stand so my DX21 and JX-8P can be used all the time. I've not got enough plug sockets to do this but I'm sure running 12 off one socket will be fine when I get round to getting an extension.

SFBM
&roid

Post by SFBM »

Was technically a Boxing day purchase, but finally got myself an Elektron RYTM Mk1 (second hand) and in pristine condition, too. Have only dived a tiny bit into it thus far, and not even tried out Overbridge yet, but I'm loving it hugely in comparison to my (now) old drum machine - the Machinedrum SPS-1 Mk1 (non-UW). Thinking I might sell the MD sometime soon and add a bit of $$ in funds to score a 2nd Hand Octatrack Mk1 too and get my dream-team combo of live techno hardware/studio gear :D

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

SFBM wrote:Was technically a Boxing day purchase, but finally got myself an Elektron RYTM Mk1 (second hand) and in pristine condition, too. Have only dived a tiny bit into it thus far, and not even tried out Overbridge yet, but I'm loving it hugely in comparison to my (now) old drum machine - the Machinedrum SPS-1 Mk1 (non-UW). Thinking I might sell the MD sometime soon and add a bit of $$ in funds to score a 2nd Hand Octatrack Mk1 too and get my dream-team combo of live techno hardware/studio gear :D
Owner of RYTM mk1, Octatrack mk1 and Dominion 1. It is indeed a fuckin nifty combo for live techno.
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths

SFBM
&roid

Post by SFBM »

Mono-xID wrote:
SFBM wrote:Was technically a Boxing day purchase, but finally got myself an Elektron RYTM Mk1 (second hand) and in pristine condition, too. Have only dived a tiny bit into it thus far, and not even tried out Overbridge yet, but I'm loving it hugely in comparison to my (now) old drum machine - the Machinedrum SPS-1 Mk1 (non-UW). Thinking I might sell the MD sometime soon and add a bit of $$ in funds to score a 2nd Hand Octatrack Mk1 too and get my dream-team combo of live techno hardware/studio gear :D
Owner of RYTM mk1, Octatrack mk1 and Dominion 1. It is indeed a fuckin nifty combo for live techno.
I had to look up the Dominion 1, hadn't heard of it before, but it looks like quite a nice unit. My setup for live techno is currently the Elektron RYTM Mk1, Modular Synthesizer, Moog Mother32, Moogerfooger Ring Mod pedal, Eventide Space, Proco Rat 2, and a Beatstep Pro. Also have a DSI evolver but I haven't implemented that into the setup as of yet, since my sequencing options are a bit used up so far. I am thinking about getting myself a Rucci Maximal Drone soon to put in there for a quick and easy drone source, and then just running it through a few pedals or something. RYTM was a huge step for me both for my live setup, and studio too, and now just have a few key items I need to acquire to tighten it all up and make it into what I want to perform on.

Den Bosch
brown envelope

Post by Den Bosch »

Ordered this before my Christmas break was over so I'm counting it as a Christmas purchase...

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

I have to say one annoying thing with the Headbox amp is that I'm getting an annoying high-pitched buzz when running it at high volumes. And it doesn't even go particularily loud. Maybe my Focusrite 2i2 just doesn't provide enough input volume.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Are you running from line outs from the from the focusrite into the headphone amp?
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Lost to the Void wrote:Are you running from line outs from the from the focusrite into the headphone amp?
Yeah, I thought that's how it's supposed to be done? Am I doing something wrong? :oops:

The guy in the music store warned me about noise when buying the cables but the hiss doesn't really bother me. The buzzing does though.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

are you switching from unbalanced to balanced by doing that ?

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Hades wrote:are you switching from unbalanced to balanced by doing that ?
The Focusrite only has TRS outs and the Amp only has RCA ins so it's going balanced to unbalanced. Not sure what else I am supposed to do?

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Rca is always unbalanced, so yeah, that's most likely the explanation for your problems

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

dubdub wrote:
Hades wrote:are you switching from unbalanced to balanced by doing that ?
The Focusrite only has TRS outs and the Amp only has RCA ins so it's going balanced to unbalanced. Not sure what else I am supposed to do?
I think it's never a problem to use TS plugs in TRS outputs tbh (the other way around is a lot more problematic, but see below for more on that),
but yeah, I am NOT some sort of audio engineer,
so anyone : please do correct me if I'm wrong !

but let me give you an example of what once happened to me not taking the balanced versus unbalanced signal difference (+4dBu vs -10dBV, if I am not mistaken, just looking this up right now cause I sure as fuck don't know this shit from memory) into account :
I rewired my whole studio about 7 years ago, changing all cables to balanced,
naïvely thinking : hell, if some of the gear has unbalanced outputs, it won't hurt using balanced cables...

Immediately, the kick of my Jomox sounded like an extremely loud snap, as if it was broken,
and the only reason for this was that I was using a balanced cable taking the unbalanced signal from my Jomox to my patch bays and then to my balanced mixer.
As soon as I replaced the cable with an unbalanced one, everything was totally fine.
I had to do the same for the snare and clap output of my Jomox, but I did not have to replace the cables of the other outputs. To this day this was the only example where the "using a balanced cable on an unbalanced output" thing didn't work, but yeah, the result was so nasty I'll remember it for life... :)

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Ah that`s right, the 2i2 only has balanced TRS outputs.

There`s yer problem.
New Shit

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

I shuffled some cables and powesupplies around. It's much better now. The buzz doesn't really start getting audible until I crank the phones to super high levels which I can live with.

Maybe I'll upgrade to a 2i4 some time. Do they have more power (I have the monitor out cranked and it still feels like the amp could use some higher levels) or are the specs essentially the same?

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Didn`t really make any christmas purchases....
But I am talking to a UK speaker maker (just got off the phone to them) about getting some bespoke nearfields made as I want monitoring in my production room that is closer to the mastering room....which is a bit of an ask, but as close as possible will do me. Been talking to a few places about getting some 3-ways made. Not actually going to cost me as much as I feared.
New Shit