Jordanneke - Cebu

Post your work here - Ask for feedback or just show it off
jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt
Jordanneke - Cebu

Post by jordanneke »

Soooo, I finally took the plunge and bought some hardware. Nothing majorly expensive, but here is my first result. Jomox mbase, volca bass and keys.

I've been listening to a lot of house recently, and also trying to make more traditionally musical things. So if it's stomping nosebleed techno, this is not it.

Any comments on this, good or bad? Anything, no matter how brutal.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank
Re: Jordanneke - Cebu

Post by dubdub »

Sounds nice. No real complaints with the mix. Bassline sounds a little, could use a bit more filtering maybe. It takes a bit long until the keys appear.

RWise
durchfall

Post by RWise »

Not feeling the panned hat. Feel like its too disconnected from the track. Would have it in the centre personally. Mix feels like it could use a touch of high end shimmer as well.

More of a personal taste thing but im not really digging the breakdown/build. Sounds a bit tacky for this style imo. When i listen to it, it makes me think of Omar S type stuff, which makes think of an arrangement that flows throughout with nice little melodic/percussive elements coming in and out and not have too many big breaks or builds.
Dont take life so seriously :mrgreen:

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

Sometimes I feel like you're my brother from another mother. I mean, this kind of stuff is EXACTLY where my head is lately (maybe I'll post my organ house WIP soon haha).

I dig this. Bassline is tight, the chords are nice and warm. Don't agree with RWIse on the breakdown...I think it suits the track very well. My only real criticism is that I think the track needs one more element. Diva saying "you got to feel it, baby" or something like that LOL. Or a synth lead with some portamento or something like that.

How are you liking the volcas, btw? Fun little boxes, aren't they.

SHIDZO
pregnant

Post by SHIDZO »

Very nice groove and I do like the breakdown as well. Might be the tiniest bit too abrupt..
Agree with Mr. G… Some vocal or another element. Rather a vocal if you ask me. I like the shit you make, you know what you’re doing man, huge respect

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

dubdub wrote:Sounds nice. No real complaints with the mix. Bassline sounds a little, could use a bit more filtering maybe. It takes a bit long until the keys appear.
Thanks man. The bass was recorded in one 48bar take with me increasing the filter and decreasing it. As I'm unable to record it again, I've had to loop different sections of the bass at different times. I can loop the open filter section a bit earlier.

SHIDZO wrote:Very nice groove and I do like the breakdown as well. Might be the tiniest bit too abrupt..
Agree with Mr. G… Some vocal or another element. Rather a vocal if you ask me. I like the shit you make, you know what you’re doing man, huge respect
Much appreciated, although I must add, I don't know really what I'm doing. Just a guy with a computer in his living room and a pair of headphones. I've just put hours into making rubbish - lots of hours.

If I listen to what beginners make now, it far out-strips what I was ever able to do.
RWise wrote:Not feeling the panned hat. Feel like its too disconnected from the track. Would have it in the centre personally. Mix feels like it could use a touch of high end shimmer as well.

More of a personal taste thing but im not really digging the breakdown/build. Sounds a bit tacky for this style imo. When i listen to it, it makes me think of Omar S type stuff, which makes think of an arrangement that flows throughout with nice little melodic/percussive elements coming in and out and not have too many big breaks or builds.
Thanks for the input.

You have some good ears. I've been listening to an Omar S mix a billion times a day for the last 2 months!

I see what you mean about the break, but I like it. I enjoy writing stuff with climaxes and breaks and builds, so I'll take that as a personal preference point.

The panned hat I can take a look at. Thanks again.
The_G wrote:Sometimes I feel like you're my brother from another mother. I mean, this kind of stuff is EXACTLY where my head is lately (maybe I'll post my organ house WIP soon haha).

I dig this. Bassline is tight, the chords are nice and warm. Don't agree with RWIse on the breakdown...I think it suits the track very well. My only real criticism is that I think the track needs one more element. Diva saying "you got to feel it, baby" or something like that LOL. Or a synth lead with some portamento or something like that.

How are you liking the volcas, btw? Fun little boxes, aren't they.

Thanks man, glad you like it. I've really been getting more into bass and using bass to drive the track forwards. Too much listening to Todd Terry and Todd Edwards.

I did have a vocal attached but I took it out. If I'm going to add a vocal it needs to be there from the inception or it won't work, and will just sound tagged on.

Yeah, the volcas are good. I'm happy that they are quite limiting, which forces me to try to be creative.

Careland
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by Careland »

I like the groove aswell! I'm more into this kinda stuff aswell lately as was posted earlier.

I agree the highs could maybe use a shizzle boost to come out a little more. I also found the kick a little heavy in the 100-200hz region? Feel it's kinda gettin in the way of the bass at times. I'm on bad headphones atm though so take that with a grain of salt.

Cloaked
hunger marcher

Post by Cloaked »

Another quality jam mate. Everything it the right place. Definitely feels like a hardware workout. Good job as always.

kostas
Opposite

Post by kostas »

don t have to point out anything here. I see that you are getting more into this and you doing fine!
kick sounds very alive!
''We all have the equal amount of now. Got it? ... now go and make some good techno.''

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

Thanks all for listening, and I'm happy that you like it.

@careland, you could well be right, the lows of the bass are side-chained to the kick up til 125hz or so.

Much appreciated.

tsaro
Lifer

Post by tsaro »

Seems like getting some hardware has focused your sound in a way, I guess it helps when you don't have too many options. Cool groove going on here, definitely can see this working on the dancefloor. I think you should shave 1-2 db off the sub there, and the clap you used maybe has a little too much high end, other than that I can't really think of things to improve this. I actually like the arrangement how it is now, the bass holds enough interest to carry the track the way it is imo. That fm-ish sound over the bass line is sounds classy.

The background noise, at first I thought it was the Volca but then it continued at the very end with just the hats remaining, was it actually your mixer/interface doing that? Seems to vary along the course of the track though, so a bit mystified tbh...
how far do you want to go

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

1stly, I like it, great tune with a real classic sound.

Mix is nowhere near as good as your software based stuff.

That kick is great when the track is more empty, but once the track fills up, the kick sounds woolly and ill-defined, not really cutting through the mix and sounding "boxy" (very low mid/high bass, not much sub, not much top). A possibly a little too loud.

Bassline in nice, but also sounds a little soft, could do with a little more bite in the attack phase, so it is a tad more percussive in the transients, again, to retain definition for when the mix gets busy.

Pads/Keys are great, could come up a little in the mix as they are pretty strong.

Hats/top end in general sits back a little too far, can come up in volume and be more crisp.

There was a label in the late 90`s early 00`s that was putting out a lot of stuff like this. It sat between house, techno and trance, around the same bpm. I can`t remember the name of it right now, but I really loved it, and it`s a sound that didn`t really catch at the time (I`ll dig out some of their stuff and find the label name). Would welcome this type of thing coming back.

But yeah, great, nice vibes on this.

Kinda reminds me of this, but without sounding like this.
youtu.be/oHdatQ-K-NA
DJ HMC was great
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

vo0doo wrote:Seems like getting some hardware has focused your sound in a way, I guess it helps when you don't have too many options. Cool groove going on here, definitely can see this working on the dancefloor. I think you should shave 1-2 db off the sub there, and the clap you used maybe has a little too much high end, other than that I can't really think of things to improve this. I actually like the arrangement how it is now, the bass holds enough interest to carry the track the way it is imo. That fm-ish sound over the bass line is sounds classy.

The background noise, at first I thought it was the Volca but then it continued at the very end with just the hats remaining, was it actually your mixer/interface doing that? Seems to vary along the course of the track though, so a bit mystified tbh...

Thanks man, much appreciated.

The odd noise you hear is in fact the volca.

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

Lost to the Void wrote:1stly, I like it, great tune with a real classic sound.

Mix is nowhere near as good as your software based stuff.

That kick is great when the track is more empty, but once the track fills up, the kick sounds woolly and ill-defined, not really cutting through the mix and sounding "boxy" (very low mid/high bass, not much sub, not much top). A possibly a little too loud.

Bassline in nice, but also sounds a little soft, could do with a little more bite in the attack phase, so it is a tad more percussive in the transients, again, to retain definition for when the mix gets busy.

Pads/Keys are great, could come up a little in the mix as they are pretty strong.

Hats/top end in general sits back a little too far, can come up in volume and be more crisp.

There was a label in the late 90`s early 00`s that was putting out a lot of stuff like this. It sat between house, techno and trance, around the same bpm. I can`t remember the name of it right now, but I really loved it, and it`s a sound that didn`t really catch at the time (I`ll dig out some of their stuff and find the label name). Would welcome this type of thing coming back.

But yeah, great, nice vibes on this.

Kinda reminds me of this, but without sounding like this.
youtu.be/oHdatQ-K-NA
DJ HMC was great
Much appreciated man. Firstly, I'm glad that you like the track. But I have a question.

The bass was recorded live, how can I make the bass attack more? It's fairly compressed as it is. Aside from re-recording it, is there a trick to working with audio?