It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:14 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Author Message
 Post subject: Jordanneke - Cebu
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:17 pm 
Offline
Small Penis
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:16 pm
Posts: 2638
Soooo, I finally took the plunge and bought some hardware. Nothing majorly expensive, but here is my first result. Jomox mbase, volca bass and keys.

I've been listening to a lot of house recently, and also trying to make more traditionally musical things. So if it's stomping nosebleed techno, this is not it.

Any comments on this, good or bad? Anything, no matter how brutal.


_________________
https://soundcloud.com/jordan-louis

Subsekt special





Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Jordanneke - Cebu
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:14 pm 
Offline
Supersacrifice

Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:49 pm
Posts: 998
Sounds nice. No real complaints with the mix. Bassline sounds a little, could use a bit more filtering maybe. It takes a bit long until the keys appear.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Jordanneke - Cebu
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:53 pm 
Offline
Chernobyl
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:04 pm
Posts: 101
Not feeling the panned hat. Feel like its too disconnected from the track. Would have it in the centre personally. Mix feels like it could use a touch of high end shimmer as well.

More of a personal taste thing but im not really digging the breakdown/build. Sounds a bit tacky for this style imo. When i listen to it, it makes me think of Omar S type stuff, which makes think of an arrangement that flows throughout with nice little melodic/percussive elements coming in and out and not have too many big breaks or builds.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Jordanneke - Cebu
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:54 am 
Offline
Component
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:14 pm
Posts: 884
Sometimes I feel like you're my brother from another mother. I mean, this kind of stuff is EXACTLY where my head is lately (maybe I'll post my organ house WIP soon haha).

I dig this. Bassline is tight, the chords are nice and warm. Don't agree with RWIse on the breakdown...I think it suits the track very well. My only real criticism is that I think the track needs one more element. Diva saying "you got to feel it, baby" or something like that LOL. Or a synth lead with some portamento or something like that.

How are you liking the volcas, btw? Fun little boxes, aren't they.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Jordanneke - Cebu
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:33 am 
Offline
beast

Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:52 pm
Posts: 90
Very nice groove and I do like the breakdown as well. Might be the tiniest bit too abrupt..
Agree with Mr. G… Some vocal or another element. Rather a vocal if you ask me. I like the shit you make, you know what you’re doing man, huge respect

_________________


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Jordanneke - Cebu
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:18 am 
Offline
Small Penis
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:16 pm
Posts: 2638
dubdub wrote:
Sounds nice. No real complaints with the mix. Bassline sounds a little, could use a bit more filtering maybe. It takes a bit long until the keys appear.


Thanks man. The bass was recorded in one 48bar take with me increasing the filter and decreasing it. As I'm unable to record it again, I've had to loop different sections of the bass at different times. I can loop the open filter section a bit earlier.


SHIDZO wrote:
Very nice groove and I do like the breakdown as well. Might be the tiniest bit too abrupt..
Agree with Mr. G… Some vocal or another element. Rather a vocal if you ask me. I like the shit you make, you know what you’re doing man, huge respect


Much appreciated, although I must add, I don't know really what I'm doing. Just a guy with a computer in his living room and a pair of headphones. I've just put hours into making rubbish - lots of hours.

If I listen to what beginners make now, it far out-strips what I was ever able to do.

RWise wrote:
Not feeling the panned hat. Feel like its too disconnected from the track. Would have it in the centre personally. Mix feels like it could use a touch of high end shimmer as well.

More of a personal taste thing but im not really digging the breakdown/build. Sounds a bit tacky for this style imo. When i listen to it, it makes me think of Omar S type stuff, which makes think of an arrangement that flows throughout with nice little melodic/percussive elements coming in and out and not have too many big breaks or builds.


Thanks for the input.

You have some good ears. I've been listening to an Omar S mix a billion times a day for the last 2 months!

I see what you mean about the break, but I like it. I enjoy writing stuff with climaxes and breaks and builds, so I'll take that as a personal preference point.

The panned hat I can take a look at. Thanks again.

The_G wrote:
Sometimes I feel like you're my brother from another mother. I mean, this kind of stuff is EXACTLY where my head is lately (maybe I'll post my organ house WIP soon haha).

I dig this. Bassline is tight, the chords are nice and warm. Don't agree with RWIse on the breakdown...I think it suits the track very well. My only real criticism is that I think the track needs one more element. Diva saying "you got to feel it, baby" or something like that LOL. Or a synth lead with some portamento or something like that.

How are you liking the volcas, btw? Fun little boxes, aren't they.



Thanks man, glad you like it. I've really been getting more into bass and using bass to drive the track forwards. Too much listening to Todd Terry and Todd Edwards.

I did have a vocal attached but I took it out. If I'm going to add a vocal it needs to be there from the inception or it won't work, and will just sound tagged on.

Yeah, the volcas are good. I'm happy that they are quite limiting, which forces me to try to be creative.

_________________
https://soundcloud.com/jordan-louis

Subsekt special





Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Jordanneke - Cebu
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:41 pm 
Offline
Interact. Don't Spam.

Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:54 pm
Posts: 9
I like the groove aswell! I'm more into this kinda stuff aswell lately as was posted earlier.

I agree the highs could maybe use a shizzle boost to come out a little more. I also found the kick a little heavy in the 100-200hz region? Feel it's kinda gettin in the way of the bass at times. I'm on bad headphones atm though so take that with a grain of salt.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Jordanneke - Cebu
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:37 pm 
Offline
pregnant

Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:14 pm
Posts: 201
Another quality jam mate. Everything it the right place. Definitely feels like a hardware workout. Good job as always.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Jordanneke - Cebu
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:36 pm 
Offline
rescued
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:28 pm
Posts: 72
don t have to point out anything here. I see that you are getting more into this and you doing fine!
kick sounds very alive!

_________________
''We all have the equal amount of now. Got it? ... now go and make some good techno.''


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Jordanneke - Cebu
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:05 pm 
Offline
Small Penis
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:16 pm
Posts: 2638
Thanks all for listening, and I'm happy that you like it.

@careland, you could well be right, the lows of the bass are side-chained to the kick up til 125hz or so.

Much appreciated.

_________________
https://soundcloud.com/jordan-louis

Subsekt special





Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Jordanneke - Cebu
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:11 pm 
Offline
arsehole
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:05 pm
Posts: 306
Seems like getting some hardware has focused your sound in a way, I guess it helps when you don't have too many options. Cool groove going on here, definitely can see this working on the dancefloor. I think you should shave 1-2 db off the sub there, and the clap you used maybe has a little too much high end, other than that I can't really think of things to improve this. I actually like the arrangement how it is now, the bass holds enough interest to carry the track the way it is imo. That fm-ish sound over the bass line is sounds classy.

The background noise, at first I thought it was the Volca but then it continued at the very end with just the hats remaining, was it actually your mixer/interface doing that? Seems to vary along the course of the track though, so a bit mystified tbh...

_________________


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  



Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
skymiles v1.1 designed by CodeMiles Team -TemplatesDragon-.