Vermona DRM.

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Macca
durchfall
Re: Vermona DRM.

Post by Macca »

P0607r0n wrote:I'm wondering why no one mentinoned XBASE 888. Just got this one a week go and I'm quite stoked with the sound it can make, really powerful analog kickdrums, good analog toms, and sample based instruments. People say about bugs, but I haven't found anything major yet.
Damn, totally over looked these aswell. The 999 one looks right up my street.

Don't think I'll be making my mind up soon anyways.

Would anyone suggest the Tanzbar (not the lite) over the tanzmaus?
Instagram: @stevenmcfarlanedesign

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

I really can't get what's so special with Jomox kicks. Just sayin'..
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths

P0607r0n
Metric Martyr

Post by P0607r0n »

Mono-xID wrote:I really can't get what's so special with Jomox kicks. Just sayin'..
Phat. :shock: :o :twisted:

P0607r0n
Metric Martyr

Post by P0607r0n »

Macca wrote:
P0607r0n wrote:I'm wondering why no one mentinoned XBASE 888. Just got this one a week go and I'm quite stoked with the sound it can make, really powerful analog kickdrums, good analog toms, and sample based instruments. People say about bugs, but I haven't found anything major yet.

The difference between 888 and 999 is that the 999 has x-filter built in, and 888 has pitch envelope on kicks.
Basically 888 + t-resonator = 999

With tanzbaer vs tanzmaus... they do sound different, with maus being bit more in yo face, gritty.

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

P0607r0n wrote:
Mono-xID wrote:I really can't get what's so special with Jomox kicks. Just sayin'..
Phat. :shock: :o :twisted:
The thing is i have a X-Base 09 next to a RYTM on my desk. And the RYTM smokes the X-Base in every single aspect (including the kick drum) imo.
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths

P0607r0n
Metric Martyr

Post by P0607r0n »

I didn't have RYTM in my hands, but neither Xbase 09, so can't really compare.
With 888 i can say the way you dial in the kick drums is very straight forward, not too many options, but not too few. Just right amount of sound mangling to have good versatility, and not much of an headache (in comparison to Tempest, which I used for two years, and it still is a pain to dial something quick)

dippy egg
Unartful

Post by dippy egg »

Macca wrote:

I can't offer anything in way of a comparison but I did own a Tanzbar for a few months. I was very reluctant to sell it but I did because of two reason. Firstly, the Tanzbar can do loads of crazy stuff which is awesome but the cost of this is a steep learning curve. This is fine if you have plenty of time to learn it but as I was so busy with work I was constantly having to re-learn features because I would forget how to use them. I didn't find it to be particular intuitive but it was the only drum machine I have owned so I'm not prepared to stress this point too much as it may well be my lack of experience with hardware that made it appear this way to me. The second reason is that I wasn't very good at producing and found using hardware was slowing down my progress.

However, it is a fantastic sounding machine. The two kicks are both really wonderful and different and there is bags of character throughout the machine. I would definitely recommend looking in to it. The build quality causes concern for some people...I found the pots do have a bit of wobble to them (not so unlike a MS20 mini) and it's definitely not built like a tank (despite looking like one). I wouldn't be too concerned if you are using it at home or in the studio but I would be careful if you take it out for live shows.

zukenbauer
You only live once

Post by zukenbauer »

dippy egg wrote:
Macca wrote:

I can't offer anything in way of a comparison but I did own a Tanzbar for a few months. I was very reluctant to sell it but I did because of two reason. Firstly, the Tanzbar can do loads of crazy stuff which is awesome but the cost of this is a steep learning curve. This is fine if you have plenty of time to learn it but as I was so busy with work I was constantly having to re-learn features because I would forget how to use them. I didn't find it to be particular intuitive but it was the only drum machine I have owned so I'm not prepared to stress this point too much as it may well be my lack of experience with hardware that made it appear this way to me. The second reason is that I wasn't very good at producing and found using hardware was slowing down my progress.

However, it is a fantastic sounding machine. The two kicks are both really wonderful and different and there is bags of character throughout the machine. I would definitely recommend looking in to it. The build quality causes concern for some people...I found the pots do have a bit of wobble to them (not so unlike a MS20 mini) and it's definitely not built like a tank (despite looking like one). I wouldn't be too concerned if you are using it at home or in the studio but I would be careful if you take it out for live shows.

Same goes for Tanzmaus.. Its Tanzbar little brother

Barfunkel
Smalahove

Post by Barfunkel »

I bought a Jomox Xbase999 once and let's just say I was quite disappointed...Cost 1300€ or so but it certainly felt like a much cheaper instrument. Sound was kinda decent but the OS was horrible. A Roland TR-8 is much better, for example, and the price is 1/3 of the Jomox.

Someone offered me a trade between my 999 and his TR-909 and I foolishly declined. I later sold the Jomox for 650€ after 6 or so months and several price drops, it was like no one wanted to buy the thing. And now of course TR-909's go for 3000€ or so lol.
"I don't shower every day, but when I do, I do it after listening to some Barfunkel" - Anonymous

http://soundcloud.com/user4904810
http://www.mixcloud.com/Barfunkel/

Macca
durchfall

Post by Macca »

Brillaint guys with all the comments and endless video watching ive whittled it down the the MFB Tanzbär or Tanzmaus. Going to see if there is anywhere I can get a shot of both before purchasing. Slightly leaning towards the Tanzbar even though the Tanzmaus has the more 909'ey sound which is what I am after.
Instagram: @stevenmcfarlanedesign

P0607r0n
Metric Martyr

Post by P0607r0n »

Barfunkel wrote:I bought a Jomox Xbase999 once and let's just say I was quite disappointed...Cost 1300€ or so but it certainly felt like a much cheaper instrument. Sound was kinda decent but the OS was horrible. A Roland TR-8 is much better, for example, and the price is 1/3 of the Jomox.

Someone offered me a trade between my 999 and his TR-909 and I foolishly declined. I later sold the Jomox for 650€ after 6 or so months and several price drops, it was like no one wanted to buy the thing. And now of course TR-909's go for 3000€ or so lol.
Bought my JoMoX 888 for 555gbp, and I'm nowhere near being disappointed.
Yeah it does have a bit of "build in a shed, next to garage" feel(especially os). But it's still black box solid.