It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:16 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Author Message
 Post subject: A&H GL2200 Mixer for Studio, HW Synth ITB FX, Group Outs ??
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:02 pm 
Offline
pregnant
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:38 pm
Posts: 205
Ok so this is what im trying to do but dont have a ton of experience with these type of setups. Im looking to buy a second hand mixer capable of have group outs so I can process my synths together or individually ITB. Ive been looking at pictures of the mixer in questions. It looks as tho there are only 4 mono group outs, meaning 4 separate ch's. This is what im thinking, someone please correct me or tell me if there is a better way of doing this.

Assign HW synth's to either group 1-2 or 3-4 >These go Direct to Interface Input 1/2/3/4 for individual processing ITB

AUX 1-6 Routed to various Rack FX processors and the Returns on spare channels on the mixer which can then be assigned to Groups CH's 1-4

From what Ive noticed and this is where I can be going wrong but either the AUX effects or Group Outs will use the red group faders as returns hence my using the AUX FX on spare channels for returns. I dont think both can be used simultaneously, there is only 4 red faders.

I currently have a EPM12 mixer but cannot process synths ITB individually unless I record them first and commit to audio, whereas with the above routing Im hoping to be able to have multiple ins and processing going on simultaneously. Confused yet?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A&H GL2200 Mixer for Studio, HW Synth ITB FX, Group Outs
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:18 pm 
Offline
Opposite
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:27 am
Posts: 76
Looks like nice mixer this gl2200
So if lets say you route synth 1 and 2 to groups 1 and 2 (for stereo) you can route channel strips of your fx returns to groups 3 and 4 (for stereo) so in your DAW you would have two stereo tracks one with both synths and other with return fx.
Of course you could make let say 3 mono groups for three synths and one group for the fx returns.

Alternative:
This mixer gives you individual (direct) outs for the channels, which means you could route couple of synths straight to DAW just after eq and gain, then if you run out of inputs of your interface you can group some of them, and still have free groups or direct outs for the returns of your external fx.

Howabout da?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A&H GL2200 Mixer for Studio, HW Synth ITB FX, Group Outs
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:28 pm 
Offline
pregnant
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:38 pm
Posts: 205
P0607r0n wrote:
Looks like nice mixer this gl2200
So if lets say you route synth 1 and 2 to groups 1 and 2 (for stereo) you can route channel strips of your fx returns to groups 3 and 4 (for stereo) so in your DAW you would have two stereo tracks one with both synths and other with return fx.
Of course you could make let say 3 mono groups for three synths and one group for the fx returns.

Alternative:
This mixer gives you individual (direct) outs for the channels, which means you could route couple of synths straight to DAW just after eq and gain, then if you run out of inputs of your interface you can group some of them, and still have free groups or direct outs for the returns of your external fx.

Howabout da?


Ok so it looks like a good way. Because there are more synths then inputs and also due to the group out options I would have to introduce a patch bay, which I already have prob have to pick up another one, not a big deal. Ok so everything looks good then.
Thanks for the response. Im not sure but lately Ive seen so many producers who im assuming are just processing mostly internally. With the quality of ITB FX and processing plus the cost of software it seems like a great alternative to the more costly FX units. Best of both worlds, hybrid setup I suppose.

thx


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A&H GL2200 Mixer for Studio, HW Synth ITB FX, Group Outs
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:52 pm 
Offline
athlete

Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:56 pm
Posts: 559
Location: Amsterdam
What kind of audio interface have you got? Can't you solve this by getting an interface with more I/O?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A&H GL2200 Mixer for Studio, HW Synth ITB FX, Group Outs
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:58 pm 
Offline
pregnant
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:38 pm
Posts: 205
terryfalafel wrote:
What kind of audio interface have you got? Can't you solve this by getting an interface with more I/O?


FIREFACE UC. The only issue with that is the UC are expensive and I would need many many IN's in order to accommodate all my HW.... So A mixer with Direct Outs and Group Outs seems to be the best most cost effect setup.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A&H GL2200 Mixer for Studio, HW Synth ITB FX, Group Outs
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:24 pm 
Offline
happy bastard
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:05 pm
Posts: 433
Location: Belgium
The question is do you use all your stuff together?
Otherwise it could be interesting to expand the fireface with a adat converter and to add a patchbay.
16 inputs is decent to work with and when you add a ada8200 or a RME ADI 8 PRO you can add those extra inputs for 200 or 350 euro (not including adat and audio cables)..
I was also thinking about getting a GL2200 but I decided I needed more flexibility and the ability to edit separate audio tracks.
Keep in mind that when you group stuff into the computer there is no way to change elements separately.
The GL2200 seems a nice mixer but does it add something extra to you mixes? There are mixers that add something 'extra' but they don't seem to be in the price range off a second hand GL2200.
It could be interesting to add some 'mojo', 'grit', 'dirt', 'sauce' (or whatever you want to call it) by adding outboard and running tracks thru them but I'm currently looking in that direction without any experience and that stuff all seems quite expensive.
So if anybody has something to add please do.

_________________
https://soundcloud.com/wolf_techno


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A&H GL2200 Mixer for Studio, HW Synth ITB FX, Group Outs
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:35 pm 
Offline
Gazza

Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:04 pm
Posts: 264
Location: antwerp, be
I'm just thinking about the latency mess you could get yourself into doing such routings. some go through the computer, in and out, others not...

_________________
Andy
the lunatics are in the hall...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A&H GL2200 Mixer for Studio, HW Synth ITB FX, Group Outs
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:03 pm 
Offline
pregnant
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:38 pm
Posts: 205
WOLF! wrote:
The question is do you use all your stuff together?
Otherwise it could be interesting to expand the fireface with a adat converter and to add a patchbay.
16 inputs is decent to work with and when you add a ada8200 or a RME ADI 8 PRO you can add those extra inputs for 200 or 350 euro (not including adat and audio cables)..
I was also thinking about getting a GL2200 but I decided I needed more flexibility and the ability to edit separate audio tracks.
Keep in mind that when you group stuff into the computer there is no way to change elements separately.
The GL2200 seems a nice mixer but does it add something extra to you mixes? There are mixers that add something 'extra' but they don't seem to be in the price range off a second hand GL2200.
It could be interesting to add some 'mojo', 'grit', 'dirt', 'sauce' (or whatever you want to call it) by adding outboard and running tracks thru them but I'm currently looking in that direction without any experience and that stuff all seems quite expensive.
So if anybody has something to add please do.


The GL doesn't really add mojo grit or dirt from what I understand. Nothing vintage sounding about this mixer. Ive read that its very transparent. That being said Im getting it for about $260 eur so not very expensive. With the GL with direct outs and the busses potentially I can effect up to 4 stereo channels or 8 monos channels or a mixture of both simultaneously. My interface has 8 ins. My only real concern for this mixer is the 'Maintenance', dead channels, scratchy pots etc. It looks very good condition, has a road case and looks clean from the pictures. When I get there and test each channel it may be a whole other story. I have till Monday to decide essentially. I used to own an Yamaha RM800 and it had Group Outs. I love that mixer, the group outs where fantastic!!! That was some years ago and it looked as tho the outputs on the back of the GL2200 was a different setup than my old RM800 hence my original post and question. I hope this board isn't a bitch to maintain. I was also looking for a Mackie 24.8, with 8 groups but cant seem to find one. I def prefer the 8 groups then theres no need to use the direct outs per channel...


Last edited by Markus Wolf on Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A&H GL2200 Mixer for Studio, HW Synth ITB FX, Group Outs
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:08 pm 
Offline
pregnant
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:38 pm
Posts: 205
borg wrote:
I'm just thinking about the latency mess you could get yourself into doing such routings. some go through the computer, in and out, others not...


I didnt think about this. I could use the delay compensation per Audio Track in Ableton. Mind you I can also Jam with effects and than print the signal dry and then turn the effects on after Ive lined up the Audio. The Fireface has really low latency and the mixer is not really going to slow the signal down, no DSP processing there.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A&H GL2200 Mixer for Studio, HW Synth ITB FX, Group Outs
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:41 pm 
Offline
happy bastard
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:05 pm
Posts: 433
Location: Belgium
Markus Wolf wrote:
The GL doesn't really add mojo grit or dirt from what I understand. Nothing vintage sounding about this mixer. Ive read that its very transparent. That being said Im getting it for about $260 eur so not very expensive. With the GL with direct outs and the busses potentially I can effect up to 4 stereo channels or 8 monos channels or a mixture of both simultaneously. My interface has 8 ins. My only real concern for this mixer is the 'Maintenance', dead channels, scratchy pots etc. It looks very good condition, has a road case and looks clean from the pictures. When I get there and test each channel it may be a whole other story. I have till Monday to decide essentially. I used to own an Yamaha RM800 and it had Group Outs. I love that mixer, the group outs where fantastic!!! That was some years ago and it looked as tho the outputs on the back of the GL2200 was a different setup than my old RM800 hence my original post and question. I hope this board isn't a bitch to maintain. I was also looking for a Mackie 24.8, with 8 groups but cant seem to find one. I def prefer the 8 groups then theres no need to use the direct outs per channel...


Kinda funny because I also looked for a mackie 24.8; because these mixers are knows for the channel distortion.
Something that will not work out well when you do that on the GL.
I came to my end conclusions that if a mixer is not adding something it will only act as a patchbay with faders :).
Maybe I will buy a mixer again in the future but I want something that really adds up to the sound and these board are not cheap.
Also my technical skills currently are not as good that I deserve such kind of a mixer.

I recently upgraded my old RME to a RME card with 3 adat inputs and outputs to get 24 channels. Time will tell if it's better then a mixer but I'm convinced it gives me more possibility's with more separate channels than buses... .

_________________
https://soundcloud.com/wolf_techno


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  



Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
skymiles v1.1 designed by CodeMiles Team -TemplatesDragon-.