any push users here / trouble with automation in general

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
yentz
site spammer
any push users here / trouble with automation in general

Post by yentz »

Hi,

I bought Push 1 ages ago but never really used it as I found the menustructure and workflow rather cryptic and the pads far to stiff.
So now I moved flats reorganized my setup and thought I should give it another go.
What I really would like to do is doing stepautomation of parameters. In the tutorial videos they open an instrument and when they hold a button with a note they can edit noteparameters like pitch volume etc and in the left of the menu it shows the entries note and automate. when choosing automate the parameters configured in the live instance of the vst instrument show up to automate. all good but for me there is no automate option to choose.
Also sometimes when editing a clip I can choose the plugins in the edit window and automate their parameters sometimes it just shows midi controller. How can I change this?

thanks for helping

yentz
site spammer
Re: any push users here / trouble with automation in general

Post by yentz »

OK problem solved. This just works in session view and not arrangement view. A pitty.

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

Yeah, Push 101 is basically to forget about it once you're into arrangement view. Stick with it though, it's got a little learning curve but its no worse than my experiences with hardware, much easier in fact. The version 1 pads are a little stiff, but they do loosen a little over time.

yentz
site spammer

Post by yentz »

I have to say I am trying hard for the last 2 days but it really does suck. I have no idea but I would expect a big company like them to have some guys that are just working on the workflow. I have some elektron boxes and those are MUCH more comfortable and easy to use than the push hardware. Maybe v2 is better but v1 is just cryptic and not intuitive at all. even after solving my problems I am way faster doing it with the mouse than on the hardware. Well you can choose a scale - I can do that on my akai mpk mini with little postits. And the pads are just shit to play. having a velocity plugin on all channels to not having to hit the thing that hard that my neighbours are gonna complain. This is just bad or maybe I just dont get it....

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

Its been a while, but iirc v1 has a sensitivity setting you can change, you can definitely get it so a light tap triggers the pad. They never feel amazing though, v2 has *much* better pads.

The basic workflow is the same between versions. I found the drum sequencer the easiest place to start and learn well and then I built up from there. I still mainly use it for drums tbh, but I don't make very melodic music. Clip view is another I use quite a lot to jam out an arrangement.

I find it much easier to use than my Machinedrum, but I'm not that enamoured with the Elektron workflow- so your mileage might vary and maybe it isn't for you. I still think it's worth sticking with, just don't feel the need to use it for everything- replace 1 bit of your workflow with it and go from there. 2 more days and if it doesn't click then sell it.

yentz
site spammer

Post by yentz »

I really cant agree. The elektron stuff is just really intuitive. Push 1 does suck. Even after a whole evening trying to make it work i find myself using the mouse 90% of the time. It is a pitty as the idea is great but it just fails in so many places :)

yentz
site spammer

Post by yentz »

And regarding the pads - the pads on my mpk mini are way better to use. Seems as if akai did not want it to be good - i mean they definitely know how to do nice pads..

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

I have a Push 1 aswell, the pads are fine IMO once you adjust the sensitivity. Not amazing but they do what they are supposed to generally. Trying to play in a beat that's dynamic in velocity is pretty difficult though yes, but I prefer to edit that manually anyways.

The workflow makes a lot of sense to me but maybe I'm more of a typical Ableton user that does everything in session and only moves into arrangement when the rough track is done. I use it to step-sequence and program drums, tweak certain plugins with the encoders and record live parameter automation. Sometimes I use it for mixing aswell. It does a good job at those things and integrates naturally in my workflow. If you are someone that does a lot of work in arrangement it's probably not for you, I'd agre but that kind of workflow is better done with a mouse anyways.

yentz
site spammer

Post by yentz »

Hmm well maybe I should try this. Working with different scenes might help me not to stay in the same loop until i completely wrecked it. Gonna give it a try i think.

yentz
site spammer

Post by yentz »

i have to say when using push in what is it called? scene mode it is quite nice. definitely sticking onto it for now.