Calum Bauld - Foot Soldier

Post your work here - Ask for feedback or just show it off
calum666
No Avatar = Thick Bastard
Calum Bauld - Foot Soldier

Post by calum666 »

Hi everyone, first time I've managed to finish a track in a while so I will throw it in the lion's den for some criticism.
Hope you enjoy.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank
Re: Calum Bauld - Foot Soldier

Post by dubdub »

The whole mixe is very sharp, transient heavy and clicky, too much so IMO. Feels like it's overprocessed, less EQ and lowcut across the board, some gentle topend rolloff and a good dose of mixbus saturation would do wonders.

I'm not entirely sure about the kick, it lacks some definition because the subb-y part takes up the majority of it. I'd shorten the decay on the subby part and bring the top part a bit more into the midrange.

calum666

Post by calum666 »

dubdub wrote:The whole mixe is very sharp, transient heavy and clicky, too much so IMO. Feels like it's overprocessed, less EQ and lowcut across the board, some gentle topend rolloff and a good dose of mixbus saturation would do wonders.

I'm not entirely sure about the kick, it lacks some definition because the subb-y part takes up the majority of it. I'd shorten the decay on the subby part and bring the top part a bit more into the midrange.
Thank you for the reply dubdub. I will try out the advise you have given. The whole mix was done 100% on headphones, work away and don't have access to monitors. Once I get home and get it on monitors hopefully it becomes a bit clearer whats needing done.

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears

Post by over9000 »

yeah the highhats are too sharp, almost bristle.
cant really say anything bout the lowend as iam on the laptop, but it sounds ok here.
i like the track in general! it has a nice progression and especially in the first part i like how the sounds interagate with each other.
but i would tame that lead a bit or go not so far into the acid territory, but thats just personal taste.
good work!

calum666

Post by calum666 »

Thanks for the feed back. I am defo going to go back and look at my top end, Hats etc. The lead though thats my favourite part, I love that acid sound. :D
over9000 wrote:yeah the highhats are too sharp, almost bristle.
cant really say anything bout the lowend as iam on the laptop, but it sounds ok here.
i like the track in general! it has a nice progression and especially in the first part i like how the sounds interagate with each other.
but i would tame that lead a bit or go not so far into the acid territory, but thats just personal taste.
good work!

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

Apart from what's been said about the mix. I love those vocals. In fact I despite them being a bit cheesy, I really rate them, and I find the track quite enjoyable indeed.

I recognise them anywhere.

youtu.be/_sPUc0Dl7zc

calum666

Post by calum666 »

Classic film. I was watching it a few weeks ago and said to myself I'm using them vocals in a track :)
jordanneke wrote:Apart from what's been said about the mix. I love those vocals. In fact I despite them being a bit cheesy, I really rate them, and I find the track quite enjoyable indeed.

I recognise them anywhere.

youtu.be/_sPUc0Dl7zc

psicomagia
Alf Garnett

Post by psicomagia »

I think you can shove off some of the subby bottom end, maybe compressing the tail with a nice slow attack or reducing decay. I also would add some saturation on the 2buss.

Another thing I think would be an improvement would be to create a sense of spacial distance, i feel that all the elements are right in front of me. creating this hierarchy means more rich subtleties to the track. keep up the good work!

fran cisco
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by fran cisco »

you're on the right track !, I'd work a little bit more in the mix, give a little more space to each sound, but it's a good man! Congratulations

fran cisco
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by fran cisco »

I liked man, good sounds, he is very traveling and mesmerizing, congratulations

SHIDZO
pregnant

Post by SHIDZO »

I really like the arrangement and the idea of the track, it makes me nod my head and forget what email I wanted to write to a client. I like the stab chord you used in the beginning and end. For me the kick is a little bit too clicky, as mentioned before, but I think that's just personal taste. I'm listening on my Sennheisers and the low end sounds pretty good to me rather than too much. Maybe the big break could freak out a tiny bit more, but all in all: respect from me. Cheers