Tektrasense - Artificial

Post your work here - Ask for feedback or just show it off
Martian
Poo Fingers
Tektrasense - Artificial

Post by Martian »

Hi everyone,

It has been a while since I've been around here at this forum, therefore I would like to start off saying that I will take the time for the days to come to listen to other people's tracks and share my comments about them.

'Artificial' is the name of my new track and the idea behind it was to make a track that would work on a dance floor. That's why I've started with a straight kick pattern with a double kick at the end of the bar. The track builds up until the first break opens up the synth stab creating an little drop. After that there is an arpeggiator-style sequenced chord synth coming in fully taking over the main feel of the track.

Love to hear your thoughts!

Mining for gold on planet earth.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank
Re: Tektrasense - Artificial

Post by dubdub »

Sounds like the bass is lacking some sub action and punch to me, the bass is a bit flat and the kick sits very high. Otherwise the mix sounds fine. I think there could be a bit more stereo action on the far left and right for a track that's supposed to sound 'big', apart from the break the mix is a bit mono.

Martian
Poo Fingers

Post by Martian »

My intention was to use the bass pattern as upper bass rhythm layer and let the kick punch fully trough. But as the kick sits too high, it cannot do the job properly. When I compare the track with a reference track, I also notice some frequency content lacking in the bass. As for the stereo field, since it is already such a dense track, I agree that it needs more elements panned to the extreem.

Thanks for your comment.

fran cisco
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by fran cisco »

I like it, I would give more affection to the mix, so that it sounds more powerful, but it's a good job, I dance it here in my home studio, greetings

Martian
Poo Fingers

Post by Martian »

Thanks! for the next track I'll definitely spend more time on the mix. Love it that it made you dance!
Cheers man.

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

Yeah, the low end is lacking some thump, especially the kick, I can't really make the kick out from the bass lower down. Get the low end right and it will be a stomper.

I find the synth a little dry and thin, although when the two synths come in at about the 3.30, I also have a bit of trouble separating the two, but that's probably my hearing, but they definitely kinda blend into one during the break.

Maybe with the synths i'd overdrive the top a bit, and add a touch reverb.

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

I've nothing to add that others haven't said already, other than the transient of the kick sounds a bit weird to me, especially in the first couple of bars. It might be the Soundcloud mp3 conversion fucking with it, I'm not sure.

Martian
Poo Fingers

Post by Martian »

Thanks for the effort, guys. I gave it another listen in the studio while comparing it to a reference track, and yes, there something missing in the low end for sure. The reference track makes my pants tremble, as my own track does not.
I've highpassed the first synth fairly high up the spectrum, I didn't want the upper bass to get lost. I also made it wider than the second synth assuming that they could work together that way. A little distortion and reverb would give them indeed a bit more character and separation from the other elements.
And there is indeed something wrong with the transient of the kick, some hits have a fizzly top end to them, the original file has it, but the soundcloud mp3 conversion made it even worse. I have a compressor working on the kick+bass channel, maybe it is causing this effect, although it has gentle settings...

Barfunkel
Smalahove

Post by Barfunkel »

As Jordanneke said, the synth action before 3:30 could be better. The sound isn't very energetic and the riff isn't very good either. Spice those up a bit (or change the synth + riff completely).

I liked it after that though. Kinda feels like a 3 minute unnecessary intro to the good stuff.
"I don't shower every day, but when I do, I do it after listening to some Barfunkel" - Anonymous

http://soundcloud.com/user4904810
http://www.mixcloud.com/Barfunkel/

Martian
Poo Fingers

Post by Martian »

Glad you liked the second part of the track, thanks for your feedback Barfunkel!