Empty10

Post your work here - Ask for feedback or just show it off
Root
BANNED
Empty10

Post by Root »

Here goes another. I thought I finished this some weeks ago and then listened again this weekend. Reworked it, here's the result:

https://soundcloud.com/rootpromo/empty10/s-z9TNP

Don't know what to think of my productions at the moment. Just changed some of my monitors settings in the lower frequencies, as my mixes tended to be dull without enough sub energy. So I'm in a tryout process and hope to learn more about my room and my listening position. What do you think? Any major issues?
:geek:

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt
Re: Empty10

Post by Lost to the Void »

Couldn`t download this to check properly on the gear so I`ll only give rough/vague feedback.

Low end is a bit woolly, could be clearer, but is balanced fairly well. Could cut back on some of the sub 60hz a touch.
Main riff is a touch too loud and a little too mono, could do with a little more space around it to fill the mix.

Overall the mix feels a little too constrained, could do with more stereo, and more sparkle/air.

Overall not too bad though.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

tsaro
Lifer

Post by tsaro »

Yeah the low end isn't really well defined, some strategic cuts should help there for a bit.
That main stab you've got running throughout sounds a bit 'loose', I think it would sound a bit better if you controlled it with an amp (or even filter) envelope. When you modulate it a bit towards the end it does sound good how it is now though.

Like the groove you're building towards, this one has some real potential imo. Just need to work/refine some sounds. If I compare it to my own process (which is totally subjective btw :v) I'd say you're 3/4 of the way there. Not sure what's in need of sparkle exactly, I'd say from here on out your main concern would be to control the sounds a bit more precisely, like that stab and the kick/bass combo, and figure a way to tighten up the mids.
how far do you want to go

Root
BANNED

Post by Root »

Okay, i gave it a bit more highs to get the brilliance back, added some panning, tried to get the low end a bit more crispy and added some variation in the hihats. Here's the result:

https://soundcloud.com/rootpromo/fm-mix ... th/s-i8OnH

As always, thanks a lot for this detailed feedback here. This really helps a lot. @void: it's now downloadable, i forgot it before^^

TechnoDude
pregnant

Post by TechnoDude »

Maybe just a little touch of more variation would make it a little more interesting, however, I think is just my personal taste.

tsaro
Lifer

Post by tsaro »

Having that sustain of the synth turned up at the start makes it feel like you're thrown into the middle of the track without warning.... I think using for example that drop at 1:50 as your intro would help to ease into it, then when it drops it feels more like you worked up to it. And it might be nice to start modulating those stabs a bit earlier.
Still feel the bass isn't completely there yet, can be hard to get that right though when you're not 100% comfortable with your monitoring situation. The low mids feel a bit crowded, might need to cut into some things there, and the highs are too pronounced for me, though I suppose that's just my taste (as I tend to cut into them too much myself at times)...

This might all sound a bit critical, though it's not bad as is I think if you'd manage to pull this one together you have a nice banging tune on your hands.
how far do you want to go

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

There's just something about the mix that makes it sound a little 'flat'. I don't know what exactly. I think the stabs and the 2 bass note don't sit quite right in their space.

The main stabs perhaps could do with a little hp shelf, to brighten up the sound after the distortion muddies them a bit. Voodoo is way more technical than me, so give his advice more weight.

It has real potential, just a few tweaks will do wonders

Root
BANNED

Post by Root »

vo0doo wrote:Having that sustain of the synth turned up at the start makes it feel like you're thrown into the middle of the track without warning.... I think using for example that drop at 1:50 as your intro would help to ease into it, then when it drops it feels more like you worked up to it. And it might be nice to start modulating those stabs a bit earlier.
Still feel the bass isn't completely there yet, can be hard to get that right though when you're not 100% comfortable with your monitoring situation. The low mids feel a bit crowded, might need to cut into some things there, and the highs are too pronounced for me, though I suppose that's just my taste (as I tend to cut into them too much myself at times)...

This might all sound a bit critical, though it's not bad as is I think if you'd manage to pull this one together you have a nice banging tune on your hands.

Yep, some nice arrangement ideas, i'll play around with that. Too often i'm too lazy to be more creative with this. And brrr, that monitoring situation thingy is something i'm working on. Just got a measuring mic and first measurements are not very promising. I have to rearrange my bedroom homestudio and get some absorbers. That'll be the next thing to invest money and time in. So thanks for lending your ears (and better room?), that helps a lot.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Yes, the whole mix sounds a bit flat and mono. I recommend a) less EQ across the boards b) really pack your tracks full frequency wise with the elements you have c) go crazy with stereo shit, you'll eventually realize what is too much.

My room is a bit shit aswell. Learn your headphones and compare often.