Sitting or Standing

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
CRDM
hmmmmmm...
Sitting or Standing

Post by CRDM »

I know it's been discussed in various places across the internet but I don't care about those places as I do this place. I did a quick search but didn't look like it'd been directly spoken about.

I'm making tracks with my laptop and sometimes push mk1. I'm in temporary accommodation before moving abroad and have just re-jigged the room around so when I'm using the laptop I'm standing and it's on top of an arms height book case.

Anyone prefer sitting or standing when making music, maybe get into it more when sat for hours or feel more when moving around whilst standing? I don't know... moving the room around just got me thinking about changing the physicality of making music. Maybe if your making music for the clubs you can relate if your standing and moving with your music. Maybe if your making ambient it's nice to tuck up under your heated blanket with a horlicks. Anyway what's your thoughts?

WOLF!
Grand
Re: Sitting or Standing

Post by WOLF! »

I recently made a new setup in my studio and I really like it.
Standing for jamming (combined with some serious disco stu moves :D).
Sitting for mixing and editing audio.

terryfalafel
Component

Post by terryfalafel »

Standing up helps put some energy into the ideas. If I'm bouncing as I'm playing or clicking, it's probably a good idea...

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

My live gear is a standing setup for realistic reasons.
Making tunes for release I'm happy to sit in my comfy chair and dissappear into the music.
I have to stand up if I am recording guitar though. Doesn't feel right playing heavy riffs sitting down.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Pagan
Exampleless

Post by Pagan »

I used to have my living room set up with full range monitors, acoustic treatment and plenty of room to dance while producing. Then marriage and new house happened, and now I'm stashed away sitting in a corner with only headphones, and I'm just about ready to give up on techno. I just can't channel energy to the tracks, and while my can setup is excellent, the bass isn't felt in the body.

Too much work might play a part, but I'm basically back to working only on ambient now.

Prophän
Back Bling

Post by Prophän »

During the creation process i'm always sitting, but when I'm doing an arrangement or trying to find a groove , i'll be standing and dancing usually, so taking the best of both worlds I'd say

TechnoDude
pregnant

Post by TechnoDude »

Standing for music production, sitting for work all day otherwise.

ZenoSupreme
arsehole

Post by ZenoSupreme »

I sit for music production (I make music in the box), I find this also pleasant because my monitors are adjusted at the right ear hight.

For djing I prefer standing, this makes me get in the groove better.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Prophän wrote:During the creation process i'm always sitting, but when I'm doing an arrangement or trying to find a groove , i'll be standing and dancing usually, so taking the best of both worlds I'd say
Was pretty much going to say the exact same thing.

I've got a wooden mixer stand / rack that I made & it's got a kind if sloped shelf / perch (at mid chest height).

I can put a drum machine, pedal fx or small synth on it. It's then easy to tweak something in the rack above it (at head height).

It won't win anything in a beauty contest, but it's handy as fuck.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

Southpaw
quasi-public

Post by Southpaw »

Críoch wrote:
Prophän wrote:During the creation process i'm always sitting, but when I'm doing an arrangement or trying to find a groove , i'll be standing and dancing usually, so taking the best of both worlds I'd say
Was pretty much going to say the exact same thing.

I've got a wooden mixer stand / rack that I made & it's got a kind if sloped shelf / perch (at mid chest height).

I can put a drum machine, pedal fx or small synth on it. It's then easy to tweak something in the rack above it (at head height).

It won't win anything in a beauty contest, but it's handy as fuck.
Ironing boards as keyboard stands springs to mind. The good thing about that is the dual purpose. You can say, 'feck it, I'm not feeling this', turn off the synth, iron the shirt and hit the pub instead..... :lol:

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Does anyone actually iron in 2017?
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Southpaw
quasi-public

Post by Southpaw »

Lost to the Void wrote:Does anyone actually iron in 2017?
Nope, missus does. She will iron the pillow cases, the duvet cover, the cushion covers. I've lost my mum, but when I was a kid, my mum would iron socks ffs. :lol:

Regimental...

sinesnsnares
Pig

Post by sinesnsnares »

i know i've hit something when I get up from my chair and start dancing around, playing with the midi controllers standing up. otherwise, sitting for producing, and standing for djing.

ekwipt
Smore

Post by ekwipt »

I have one of these i bought for editing at work, i'd love one at home as well, but it's hard to justify

https://au.varidesk.com/en-au/products/ ... lour:Black

rktic
Utter Cunt

Post by rktic »

I lifted my studio to standing height 2 years ago and my back has been grateful.

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

I always sit down... maybe that's why there isn't more energy in my tracks?

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Pic of Ironing board added.
Attachments
r3s1z3r.jpg
r3s1z3r.jpg (176.51 KiB) Viewed 1303 times
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum

CRDM
hmmmmmm...

Post by CRDM »

That looks like a really fun set up, good use of the space!

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

This thread got me thinking.

I decided to make a keyboard stand along the same lines of being able to easily access stuff when standing up.

Again.. It's a bit rough & ready, but it cost around 70€ & a couple of days elbow grease on & off. Was looking at those jasper stands, but the price put me off. This fits neatly into my space & didnt break the bank.

Sturdy & hits all the ergonomic boxes. Top shelf of stand is recessed back enough to see the buttons & screen of the keyboard underneath. It makes more sense as a room with all being together on the same side.

Just have to find the mental strength now to recable everything. There's always a caveat.
20171101_164240-480x853.jpg
20171101_164240-480x853.jpg (115.76 KiB) Viewed 1097 times

CRDM
hmmmmmm...

Post by CRDM »

Looks killer, I'd be very happy with a set up like that. Looks ergonomic as well as a well picked selection of gear, doesn't look too much, other than the cabling ha. Do it and get it out the way!