Now we can all sound like Ben Klock....

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Amøbe
Moderate
Now we can all sound like Ben Klock....

Post by Amøbe »

terryfalafel
Component
Re: Now we can all sound like Ben Klock....

Post by terryfalafel »

I can produce an ominous low ender any time they like.

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

Doesn't even deliver what they promise. Market words
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

rktic
Utter Cunt

Post by rktic »

"Drawing influence from Berlin’s underground Techno scene and iconic brands such as Berghain, Tresor and Bumload, Berlin Techno"

First sentence already establishes the quality to expect. Find the odd man out.

intrusav
Rolf Harris

Post by intrusav »

Underground iconic brand$?
Brand$ that are $o underground, they're iconic?
That'$ geniu$ ..

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

Tresor rumble pack...
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths

CRDM
hmmmmmm...

Post by CRDM »

Mono-xID wrote:Tresor rumble pack...
:lol:

RWise
durchfall

Post by RWise »

lol sounds like one of them gimmicky lo-fi house producers went to a Bumload event and liked a couple Techno Meme pages on facebook and decided to release a sample pack.

Klocks name doesnt deserve to be attached to this mush :)
Dont take life so seriously :mrgreen:

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

RWise wrote: Klocks name doesnt deserve to be attached to this mush :)

Agreed. Ben is a nice dude. He'll have my respect forever as he kept waving the techno flag when Berlin was drowning in Ed Banger Electroclash shit and Minimal.
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

Mono-xID wrote:

Agreed. Ben is a nice dude. He'll have my respect forever as he kept waving the techno flag when Berlin was drowning in Ed Banger Electroclash shit and Minimal.
My apologies! I love Ben's One album (and I still think Subzero is one of the greatest track in recent times) - he's just very much attached to the "berlin techno" sound in people's mind.

RWise
durchfall

Post by RWise »

Amøbe wrote:
Mono-xID wrote:

My apologies! I love Ben's One album (and I still think Subzero is one of the greatest track in recent times) - he's just very much attached to the "berlin techno" sound in people's mind.
But 'real' Berlin techno is actually good and nothing like whatever that shite is from that sample pack ;)
Dont take life so seriously :mrgreen:

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Amøbe wrote:
Mono-xID wrote:

Before Zero is one of my favorite EP's ever.

There must be tons of so called "Berlin techno" sample packs by now.
I'm not a fan of sample packs at all,
but I will say wave alchemy is one of the best companies out there if you do decide to buy some samples.
(go for samples folks, not loops)

If I see some of the shit from other companies that spams my inbox...
damn... :?
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

So question...do people even use the bass and synth loops the come with these things?

Drum samples, sure. Maybe even a drum loop as a layer for percussion. But you'd think a bassline or synth would be too important to a song's recognizability wouldn't you? Maybe I'm just being naive.

ekwipt
Smore

Post by ekwipt »

You could always cut it up and move it around i guess, resample the sample

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

ekwipt wrote:You could always cut it up and move it around i guess, resample the sample
Yeah of course. I mean, do people really just throw these in there as is?

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

The_G wrote:
ekwipt wrote:You could always cut it up and move it around i guess, resample the sample
Yeah of course. I mean, do people really just throw these in there as is?
I think there are certainly people that do this, yes.
The stupid and lazy ones.
And God knows there's quite a few stupid and lazy ones on this planet... :lol:
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

Hades wrote:
Amøbe wrote:
Before Zero is one of my favorite EP's ever.

There must be tons of so called "Berlin techno" sample packs by now.
I'm not a fan of sample packs at all,
but I will say wave alchemy is one of the best companies out there if you do decide to buy some samples.
(go for samples folks, not loops)

If I see some of the shit from other companies that spams my inbox...
damn... :?
I think what triggered me is more the underlying "this is all you need to sound just like [insert artist linked with the Berlin techno sound]" - I don't know... I just think it obstructs experimentation and creativity :P It was the early Ostgut releases that lured me into techno, so it's not that I have anything against the Berlin techno scene!

One thing I would like to know, however, is if it has been more profitable to own a fetish store in Berlin after Berghain. The amount of people wearing those thin belts over their chest is at least tenfold more common in there than anywhere I've seen in Copenhagen (maybe with the exception of the Pride Parade...)

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

The_G wrote:So question...do people even use the bass and synth loops the come with these things?

Drum samples, sure. Maybe even a drum loop as a layer for percussion. But you'd think a bassline or synth would be too important to a song's recognizability wouldn't you? Maybe I'm just being naive.
Having never used a sampled bassline, I might not be the right one to answer this. But didn't Mattias say about his sample packs, that the basslines are quite hard to use as single hits?

Bradley1602
Alf Garnett

Post by Bradley1602 »

Hey guys,

in my opinion there already is a way to sound like Ostgut ton for everyone who wants to.
It's discussed on subsekt here before.

It's Native Instruments.
Maschine, Battery, Maschine Expansion's Sounds.

There are a few sample packs out there mimicking the sounds that NI brought to the table like alkaloid 2 kick etc... .
One rather famous one is Berlin Techno 1 and 2 by Sample Magic.

But Wave Alchemy is not one of them because they didn't deliver rumble reverb kick.
I think they are obsessed with being totally different than everybody else and hence make funny sounding weird stuff.
Wave Alchemy Revolution is different. Thats a good product, but for beatport modern techno unusable. (There are other things on beatport except Bumload)

Regarding Wave Alchemy,
I never understood why so many people are such huge fans of them.
I think they are difficult to integrate into productions for some reason, although one can clearly here they treated the samples excessively with luxury gear and a lot of thought.
But all their packs sound like funny takes on the genres they are trying to melt with. Every time I listen to a pack-demo by them I think "yeaaaa not nailed this".
In comparison if i listen to a native-instruments demo pack there are higher chances of at least thinking "yes this could possibly be good ingredient for that genre".

For modern berlin techno I would try maschine standard library, grey forge and cavern floor. Enough reverbed kicks and rumbles in there to get you started i guess.

I don't think it is a bad thing if one wants to sound current, modern and beatport-ready. I know many of you guys are having a different view on this topic but thats okay. If you are on the hunt to bring really knew stuff to the table thats also okay.

I also know that Native Instruments is not doing anything new here but just delivers quality reverbed kick samples. I for myself tried many times to create nice reverbed techno 909 layered etc.. But they never sounded like my favourite artists so I gave up, and now I use NI and am completely happy. :)

Sampled basslines are for house in my oppinion. Techno is sampled kicks and percussion samples underlying kicks and in between.
Last edited by Bradley1602 on Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Less is not always more.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

I've never understood where the Ostgut = reverb kick association came from honestly, aside from Subzero there are very few tracks on that label with the big reverb kick rumble. It's a stereotype that never really existed but somehow still spawned a million shitty "Ostgut" imitators.