Dark Lab / Studio Thread

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Hades
Shit Eater
Re: Dark Lab / Studio Thread

Post by Hades »

Alume wrote:Some serious studio's you guys got there. I sleep&live in mine haha
one needs a place to eat bananas and rest his cheezy feet.
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Snivitz wrote:I agree its to expensive, when we where discussing rates we unsure of how to price our time for this service so we decided to run with the same price as a days tracking, id be happy and more comfortable offering this for around £80 tbh. It should be accessible/affordable for anyone with an interest really.
We are revising our rates and services atm and we'll update the site at the end of the month. As we have had no costumers for this service yet i realise it priced to high. But we are flat out tracking and have a back log of mixing to get through, so things are picking up in other areas which is nice.

We all studied sound engineering & music technology together for three years, two of us continued our studies online wile one got a job for a year working along side a well respected mix engineer/producer in a busy studio, after that we didn't know what to be at really, so we decided to look for a place to work away from the kids, pets and crazy women in our lives then we found the wonderful John Sayers forum and Sketch up and it got outa hand real quick, if the rent wasn't so cheep id still be twiddling knobs in my shed.

So we've all had some formal education in the field but not to degree level, id love to continue my studies in a collage environment but the work coming through the door is paying the bills and is as good as experience as any i suppose.
We are working on a buskers album on our down time which is getting some interest, each artist records up to three pieces of original music, we compile and release the album, they get some free studio time and we get people talking about our spot, local radio should give it some time, and hopefully help towards any possible funding from the arts council for some badly needed gear.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback and listen mate, its much appreciated, just remember it doesn't really count until you click that wee heart thingy, ya cheeky sod ye :-)

Any extra feedback on the site is more than welcome mate, we are only a few months in and still working out the kinks...

o-ow, I went back immediately and clicked the "like" button. :lol:
I almost never use FB, so you gotta forgive me for not having the automatic "push the like button"-reflex.
I fucking hate the like button on FB.
It's only when someone jams a cucumber up Pedro's ass that I'll push the like button on FB. :lol:

your website looks more than fine for the rest, honestly.
I like how you put your philosophy upfront, and how it's not "in your face"/pushy design.
It's nice and cosy, just like what the studio looks like, judging from the pics.

regarding the prices. I used to give sound design training in my studio as a small side-thing,
and one of the things I always kept in my mind, is that you gotta be able to offer prices that are less than what you can get a certain piece of gear for.
You know what I mean ?
Almost all of us are always on the look-out for some new piece of gear, if it's not HW, then it'll be SW,
and even if we already have more than enough (like me), we'll still check out some new piece of gear someone mentions on subsekt or somewhere else.
We just can't help it.
So if you're asking more money for a single day than what you can get a certain piece of gear for, or even some new plugin, then people might think :
"yeah, but I can buy piece X or Y with that money".
No doubt sometimes they'd learn far more with a day in your studio, but if they can get even just an FX pedal for that money, they're gonna go for that FX pedal and skip for the day in your studio.
You can't forget there's currently a whole world of youtube video's out there trying to convince everyone they can do it all with just this piece of SW plugin or that program, or...
Of course most of those video's are totally crap, but it takes some years of experience before you learn which video's are totally crap and which are not.

anyway, that's just my 2 cts on the subject. ;)

but getting away from crazy women and pets, now there's a solid idea :idea:
even though I have my own room for my studio, I sometimes get crazy from my mrs and daughters constantly walking into my studio.
Yesterday I had to tell my mrs : look, I'm doing a mixdown, don't come into my studio for at least half an hour FFS !!
And my cat is banned from my studio ever since I got 2 leather chairs in the studio,
and 5 minutes later I walked in just in time to catch him sitting on his 2 back legs, ready to sharpen his claws on my new leather chairs.
I took him by his neck and threw him out for good (even though I love the old fellow).

My kids are onnly allowed in here when I am in here. My oldest once got the lowest keyboard off my stand when I was 5 minutes out. Once again, I came in just in time, and even though it was only my seldomly used JX-10 at the time, I just can't have that shit any more, not when my stand is now loaded with a Fizmo, a Juno-60, an Xpander and an Andromeda.

Root
BANNED

Post by Root »

Let's get this thread started again. I found it, as i'm reading a lot about room treatment and monitor placement at the moment. So, here's my playground:

Haven't done anything about room acoustics yet, and the monitors on the table at the wall don't seem to be placed well, as well as the table. Thinking about getting stands, so i can at least put them left and right besides the table and keep a little more space to the wall. Any ideas? Or would this make no difference? The Genelecs have those isopad foots, which do a good job - my table isn't resonating much, even though it's a wooden one.

As I'll move in a new flat when I've found one, I then plan to treat the new room. So right now it would cause more trouble than it's worth.
:geek:

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Root wrote:Let's get this thread started again. I found it, as i'm reading a lot about room treatment and monitor placement at the moment. So, here's my playground:

Haven't done anything about room acoustics yet, and the monitors on the table at the wall don't seem to be placed well, as well as the table. Thinking about getting stands, so i can at least put them left and right besides the table and keep a little more space to the wall. Any ideas? Or would this make no difference? The Genelecs have those isopad foots, which do a good job - my table isn't resonating much, even though it's a wooden one.

As I'll move in a new flat when I've found one, I then plan to treat the new room. So right now it would cause more trouble than it's worth.
man, I'm not impressed cause that trumpet looks like it doesn't even have a cable connected to it ! :D

How's that Pro 2 btw ?
Never tried one before.
I tried a Prophet 08 (or whatever it was called) a few years ago and was amazed at how it sounded and how easy it was to program.

regarding stands : if you're not going for the isolating kind, I think you'll be fine with most stands as long as you don't take the cheaper ones (like that "Fame" brand from Music Store or whatever).
I took lovely Zaor stands with iso-feet, but they're extremely heavy and pricey (I think 400/piece),
but I did need the biggest ones they had since my monitors are horizontal (landscape view) and not vertical like most monitors.
It looks like Genelec makes monitor stands as well, so maybe have a look there ?

Do your room acoustics as soon as possible. It's amazing how much it improves your room.
Your mixing will improve a lot !
I redid my whole studio about 6 years ago, and I threw out a lot of stuff that didn't really belong there anyway,
but did absorb some of the waves, so after I took all that out, my room had far too much reverb... so I had no choice but to start doing some treatment instantly.
I installed 4 bass traps and a lot of panels, and I use a room correction EQ, but it's still not enough.
I'm gonna start making better panels to compliment the bass traps in about 2 weeks from now.
It's not that hard to make them yourself if you're at all a bit handy with your hands.
I had some wonderful explanations and pics from another subsekt member called Wolf, so if you're ever at all interested in making them yourself (you'll save LOTS of money), let me know and I can forward you the info.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

also, what's on the paper between your left monitor and your screen.

that other piece of paper, that's probably those dots that go up and down a bit, right ? ;)

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

Root wrote:

Haven't done anything about room acoustics yet, and the monitors on the table at the wall don't seem to be placed well, as well as the table.
Meanwhile, place your speakers right next to the wall as it looks you have some space between your speakers and the wall. You don't want that unless it's a big room.
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Mattias wrote:
Meanwhile, place your speakers right next to the wall as it looks you have some space between your speakers and the wall. You don't want that unless it's a big room.
Problem with that is those Gens are rear ported, so he will be trading phase issues for chuffing and other port related problems when walls come in to play. The room correction filters on the back will have to be switched in to try to low cut out the bass boost.
Worth trying both to see which is the most tolerable compromise.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Mattias wrote:
Problem with that is those Gens are rear ported, so he will be trading phase issues for chuffing and other port related problems when walls come in to play. The room correction filters on the back will have to be switched in to try to low cut out the bass boost.
Ah dang.
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

Root
BANNED

Post by Root »

Mattias wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:
Mattias wrote:
Ah dang.
Exactly. I've started to think more about my room and what i could do, but there are more dangs than yeahs. Seems like if you're planing your studio in your living room there are a lot of difficulties to manage and it's more about preventing the worst than about having a good room. I'll read about that measuring method by using pink noise and a mic at your listening position. Gonna try that now and move my monitors around and see what happens..

Root
BANNED

Post by Root »

Hades wrote:also, what's on the paper between your left monitor and your screen.

that other piece of paper, that's probably those dots that go up and down a bit, right ? ;)
That's a note frequency chart to tune my eq's and filters and a list of the most common chords. It's nice to check for new ideas besides the ones that your used to.
And that other piece of paper, well, there are some strange lines and really weird dots on it. I thought it looks nice, so i put it there, even though i don't know what to do with it. Particularly it has nothing to do with that piece of brass standing there.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Root wrote: And that other piece of paper, well, there are some strange lines and really weird dots on it. I thought it looks nice, so i put it there, even though i don't know what to do with it. Particularly it has nothing to do with that piece of brass standing there.
fucking hell, you got the same problem as me !!
This happens to my piano all the time as well.
Somehow it just seems to attract all these papers with strange lines and dots and vertical stripes all over the place.
Fucking hate that shit, makes no sense whatsoever and I got no idea where that shit seems to comes from...

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

my oldest says she has the exact same problem with her cello,
so I hope it's not some kind of disease that gets passed on in the genes or something...

Root
BANNED

Post by Root »

Hades wrote:my oldest says she has the exact same problem with her cello,
so I hope it's not some kind of disease that gets passed on in the genes or something...
Damn, maybe we should get together and see if there is any sense if we combine those papers. The only thing i can mostly read in those sheets is the front - one says 'Arban: Trumpet and Piano'. Strange stuff, i don't get it.

WOLF!
Grand

Post by WOLF! »

The great times are coming for me because winter means more music time over here.
I was thinking about this for a long time but I just made a more standing setup because I just like to jam.
Everything is very close to me now and is mixed in the box (mixer died) but I still use hardware fx via my recently acquired patchbay.
I've added a midi controller that I use as a remote control (just hit play and start the jam; the computer is sending the clock and everything is multitracked. After the jam it's just cut and paste the shit out of it.
Attachments
Studio-okt2017.jpg
Studio-okt2017.jpg (102.17 KiB) Viewed 4098 times

WOLF!
Grand

Post by WOLF! »

Hades wrote: I had some wonderful explanations and pics from another subsekt member called Wolf, so if you're ever at all interested in making them yourself (you'll save LOTS of money), let me know and I can forward you the info.
Hey Hades, keep me informed how the build is going when you start it mate!

And because acoustic treatment is mentioned over here I post one picture of the setup when the studio was finished this year (before the more standing setup was created).
Currently enjoying the new room and noticed that the biggest bottleneck is me now :D .
Attachments
Front.jpg
Front.jpg (110.49 KiB) Viewed 4097 times

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears

Post by over9000 »

could you post a quick guide on how to make these absorber panels? would be really into making them at home.
iam also moving to a new place soon, where i will be able to build a studio in one of the rooms.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

over9000 wrote:could you post a quick guide on how to make these absorber panels? would be really into making them at home.
iam also moving to a new place soon, where i will be able to build a studio in one of the rooms.
I'm pretty sure he wants to do that (if he finds the time),
if not, I can send you the pics and explanation he sent me.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

WOLF! wrote: Hey Hades, keep me informed how the build is going when you start it mate!
sure man, will do !
WOLF! wrote: Currently enjoying the new room and noticed that the biggest bottleneck is me now :D .
Throw yourself out, get a new guy in ! :lol:
God damn bottlenecks...

WOLF!
Grand

Post by WOLF! »

over9000 wrote:could you post a quick guide on how to make these absorber panels? would be really into making them at home.
Will post a guide; Subsekt helps me out so I'll do this for you cunts :D.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

WOLF! wrote:
Will post a guide; Subsekt helps me out so I'll do this for you cunts :D.
about time, you ungrateful, selfish, lazy cunt !!! ;) ;)

btw Wolf : regarding me building my panels...
I have the luck that my best friend has a lot of heavy machinery for wood works,
so my panels will be mainly made by him (trust me when I say he owes me a favor or 7).
Like I said : since I had my new kitchen installed, my last "workspace" disappeared,
so even if my library is now finally finished, I have no working space any more inside my house,
and I don't have a garage or something,
and he's got 2 large sheds. So yeah, it's definitely easier for me that way. :)

Only problem is that when I came by his house this morning,
I looked at one of his machines and say "hey, what the fuck is that part of your machine for,
it looks as if someone's gotta bend over and that part will go up his ass or something" :lol:
So he goes "hey, wait, I'll show you", and I go "no, no, no, no ! That's not necessary, just tell me what it does"
(remembering the last time something went wrong)
(we're also both with ear protectors on, so communication is difficult)
But he's proud of all his recently acquired machines, so there he goes,
so he literally shows to me that the part I was asking about was there to protect his hands,
saying "my carpentry teacher told me he once saw a guy lose both his hands to a machine like that",
so he shows how it cuts away one side, the other side,... (schaafmachine)
And then he turns one part and starts using it in a 45° angle,
and the protection piece can't do that for some reason
(or, as I'm thinking now in retrospect, he just moved it away and didn't put it back on)
and I see him do it and think "fucking hell, your fingers are way too close man, be careful!!"
and then he turns the machine off but of course it keeps turning for another 20 seconds or so,
and he's stupid enough to put his piece back up to 90°, and sure enough,
his finger gets caught into the machine...

I just spent another afternoon with him in the emergency room.
Last visit was 4 months ago, when he had cut his other index finger,
an accident that was even far worse...
He lost all feeling in the top of his other index finger, and he was even lucky to keep the top part at all.
But yeah, can you imagine the sight... 2 guys, looking shabby as hell (dirty work clothes),
being there, again, for another accident with his hands/machinery,
and 80% of the staff happened to be the same...
The doctor told him "sir, you gotta keep your hand clean and dry"
I went "this means no right hand wanking man, I repeat, no right hand wanking".
His assistent seemed to have a bigger sense of humor, tbh,
unfortunately the sexy nurse had left the room by then... :D
Another day, another little drama in the life of my friend...

Must have been the most stupid (banaal) accident I ever saw happening in front of my eyes.
Just 5 minutes before I was explaining to him how I got nervous from his machines because I love working with wood, but I am far too cautious about my hands, because I fucking need all 10 fingers for as long as possible... :)