Hades - Armenian Dub (Planar's Dystopia remix)

Post your work here - Ask for feedback or just show it off
Planar
subsekt
subsekt
Hades - Armenian Dub (Planar's Dystopia remix)

Post by Planar »

This is a track I've been working on for quite a little while now and I think it's coming to the point where I'll have to drop it and work on something new (because nothing is ever finished!). It's a remix of a lovely, deep as fuck tune by Hades that doesn't seem to get much attention, you can hear that here:

When I chose it I instantly had a couple of ideas to take it in a very different direction and what's come out at the end doesn't sound a million miles away from one of them, so I'm pretty happy about that. It's very melodic, which I kinda wanted to have another stab at after a recent track in a similar style didn't turn out as well and I think I've improved that side of my skills a little since then. Anyway, it wears it's influences on it's sleeves, so I'm not claiming it's very original, but it's been fun to put together. I think there are a few mix issues, but nothing too major I hope.

Here it is:

Cheers

kostas
Opposite
Re: Hades - Armenian Dub (Planar's Dystopia remix)

Post by kostas »

if my input is valued I d say that this is a clean mix
and I liked the reverb tails on percussion. just the right amount.
one thing is the kick. it could be more bottom heavy it s not hitting so fast like on every beat so there is space for a bigger release or decay you know what I mean.
It would add more ''epic'' proportions if this make sense!
so it is a good mix !
''We all have the equal amount of now. Got it? ... now go and make some good techno.''

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Mix sounds solid, feels maybe a bit too seperated to me, could use a bit musical glue and saturation to bring it all together.

jim_kezzle
Onions

Post by jim_kezzle »

nice atmosphere to the track.
however the bass stabs not sure if its coming from the kick or you've got bass and kick together but its too heavy and prominent, kind of takes over the mix too much and is a bit hard on the ears

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

Thanks for listening all, I've made this one public now.
kostas wrote: one thing is the kick. it could be more bottom heavy it s not hitting so fast like on every beat so there is space for a bigger release or decay you know what I mean.
There's no room to do anything like down there. I want a clear separation between the elements and the bass is more important than the kick.

dubdub wrote:Mix sounds solid, feels maybe a bit too seperated to me, could use a bit musical glue and saturation to bring it all together.
A fair point, but I'd rather it too separated than muddy. I did want to have a clean, "sci-fi" sounding mix.

jim_kezzle wrote: however the bass stabs not sure if its coming from the kick or you've got bass and kick together but its too heavy and prominent, kind of takes over the mix too much and is a bit hard on the ears
It's half-time dnb, the bass is supposed to be prominent and heavy. It stacks up to my reference tracks just fine.

dynamic
BAD

Post by dynamic »

kostas wrote: if my input is valued I d say that this is a clean mix
one thing is the kick. it could be more bottom heavy it s not hitting so fast like on every beat so there is space for a bigger release or decay you know what I mean.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

well, you already know my opinion on this one Planar.
First time I heard this while in Crète, almost 2 months ago,
I totally fell in love...

I adore how you used the duduk part and used it on that pad sound as well...

Great job man, and I'm not saying this just cause you started from one of my tracks.
One of these days, I hope to open up your version and go and do another remix of your interpretation...
(ow the lovely benefits of digital audio :) )
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Planar wrote:
dubdub wrote:Mix sounds solid, feels maybe a bit too seperated to me, could use a bit musical glue and saturation to bring it all together.
A fair point, but I'd rather it too separated than muddy. I did want to have a clean, "sci-fi" sounding mix.
totally agree on this part.
It's easy enough to get a nice and muddy "warm" mix, but it's a lot more honest hard work to get a more clean and precise mix. ;)

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

Mate. I can't say anything negative at all.

It's beyond me how you produced this. It's cleaner than 'insert very clean reference here'.

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

Cool track. I especially love the panning on the percussion. Something about the kick is bothering me, though--can't really put my finger on what it is. May also be the headphones I'm using to listen on (M50s).

Dattington
Alf Garnett

Post by Dattington »

Very nice. The mix sounds tight and the atmosphere throughout is spot on. Nice job man.

Can you recommend me any music/producers doing a similar style?
Previews and clips are in the playlist below:

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

Cheers for the new comments. I need a break away from it for a bit now to get my objectivity back, but having listened to it a couple of times since I declared it finished I think its about as well done as any track I've done so far.
The_G wrote:Cool track. I especially love the panning on the percussion. Something about the kick is bothering me, though--can't really put my finger on what it is. May also be the headphones I'm using to listen on (M50s).
Not sure what's wrong with the kick, it sounds ok to me. But if it comes to you I'd be interested to know so I can learn for next time. It's just worth pointing out that kicks are far less important in the genres i listen to these days compared to say house or techno.
Dattington wrote:Very nice. The mix sounds tight and the atmosphere throughout is spot on. Nice job man.

Can you recommend me any music/producers doing a similar style?
In this style? I dunno, its sounds very me, which is maybe not what i want to sound like, but I seem to have developed a certain way. However, people who do the melodic thing waaay better are acts like instramental, rhyming in fives and ASC, of course. But more of the fringes of what I'd call dnb at all are a couple of guys called synth sense who make very cinematic music often at half time dnb bpms, check them out because what they do is stunning.

youtu.be/tEsJRSoeuvQ

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

ugh, it fucking hurts my ears when I hear back my old track and then hear your version,
the disgrace of doing such a muddy mix... :oops: :D

I've always loved ASC, most of all his superb deep space mixes.
They're excellent for long car drives.

Thx for mentioning Synth Sense,
had never heard of them before.