Levante - Cthulu Call

Post your work here - Ask for feedback or just show it off
over9000
Nor Crystal Tears
Levante - Cthulu Call

Post by over9000 »

thats the first track i dare to post here.
thx to xfer records cthulu for the arps hehe
and thx for all the help you cunts

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears
Re: Levante - Cthulu Call

Post by over9000 »

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

The left side of the stereo field seems a bit lacking compared to the right. That acid-y thing could use some more meat in the lows. The bass the acid-y thing are a bit dim and muddy compared the very bright hihats, I'd say either darken the hats or brighten up the acid-y thing.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Tried to download this, but as its shittyshare just kept getting popups and spam every time I tried to download.
Gave up.

Try using wetransfer, soundcloud, or dropbox next time.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears

Post by over9000 »

no ad block?? anyway thx for trying, maybe next week
you can also dl from sc now

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Yeah adblock but zippyshare is aweful.
New Shit

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears

Post by over9000 »

heard this several times already from people..
for me it works great, there are no popups
anyway thx for the effort mate

tsaro
Lifer

Post by tsaro »

Used zippyshare a bunch of times in the past, never had any problems but I guess running ghostery, ublock and a couple more control extensions (like umatrix) really makes you forget that some parts of the internet are still littered with ads and popups :P

Cool roller here, could use a bit of a boost in the bass regions, and I'm not really sure if that psy-ish kick is the best choice here... maybe if you took out a little from the high end it would fit a bit better, possibly combined with some more low end thump. That tom groove is pretty cool, feels a bit muffled right now, maybe you could look into that.

Some cool synth lines throught the track, I think they could pop out a little more in places though. Those atmospheric pad like synths you've got going are pretty sweet, really only seem to cut through near the end, maybe you could try making some space for them a bit earlier on.

I think you've got enough material in here for more than one track, could be an idea to use some ideas in another one and having a bit more of a hypnotic vibe by repeating your elements longer and just having them evolve slowly instead of switching it up all the time.

There's definitely potential here, some cool ideas that could be reinforced by working it a bit more.
how far do you want to go

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Alright, grabbed this and ran it through the gear.

Here are my observations of the mix.

The main issue for me is the kick and the low end. This type of commercial techno tends to have a very crisp and solid low end, and you are on the right track to get that sound, but there are some issues.

The kick you have chosen/made, really isn`t tight enough, there is a really quite big delay between the initial transient hit, the "click" of the kick, and the peak of the sinewave.
I`m running clean and clear down to 16hz on my setup in here, so I get a very good picture of how stuff will impact in the club, and this issue will be a killer for DJ`s once it gets on a rig.
The delay is slow enough where the sine is reaching it`s peak about halfway between the initial transient and the offbeat. So I would tighten this up by adjusting the sound itself, as well as some compression.
The sub and the transient of the kick should be hitting solid at the same time and driving underneath that tom tom bassline, but currently it is too loose. Maybe reduce the amount of decay on the sub end of the kick too, as their is confusion and muddyness as the toms and kick sub clash.
This type of music survives on an extremely tight low end.

200 to 500hz is too dense (a common small studio problem). When I pulled this region back the low end tightened up quite a lot, and gained coherence, and the mid highs gained detail, so really focus on what is sitting in this region and clean it up for a stronger balance.

The main, highest hihats are a little too crisp and present right up at the edge of the hearing limit. Instead of making the top end sound bright and airy it makes it sound thin and brittle, by rolling them off from 12k, and then giving a little boost at 7k (a quarter db), it made the top end thicker and more in balance with the lows, and stopped the tinnitus inducing ear piercing super highs.

Here`s a little clip to demonstrate adjustments that balance the mix out a little more.
https://wetransfer.com/downloads/123a52 ... 314/1a51e7

I will also add, as an aside, the dynamics in this have been slaughtered. There is no reason for a premaster to be this loud and this dynamically murdered. This is unmasterable as it stands, a DR of 3db is pretty insane, and it goes a long way to explain the lack of punch in the lows, and the overall brittle, and closed in sound of the mix.
New Shit