It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:22 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3532 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167 ... 177  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: >>>> Post A Clip Of What You Are Working On <<<<<
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:56 pm 
Pea Dough

over9000 wrote:
what do you think about this one:
https://soundcloud.com/over9000bpm/cthu ... x1/s-OTKJx

not so happy about the bass.. how does it sound on your systems?

Liking the old-school flavour and the mix sounds great to my shitty ears.

Over my headphones that I know fairly well, there does seem to be some weight/thump missing from the kick.

I think that the arrangement could be a bit snappier. The bass is relentless, which is nice, but I think the changes with the synth could be a bit more noticeable, like after the first mini-break, so it counter-acts the relentlessness of the bass.

At the end of the break, there is a little too much distortion on the synth, which is a little unpleasant

Perhaps also try shortening the break and maybe bringing the total time by a minute, the last minute was superfluous, but that might be my personal preference, so feel free to ignore.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:58 pm 
Pea Dough

sinesnsnares wrote:
So I've been experimenting lately with parallel processing and resampling. This is one of the newer loops i came up with.. I might change the "lead" sounds though, if it sounds too sparse.

https://soundcloud.com/thomastimusk/bm2/s-UsmrH

Also, for some reason, every time i try and put in the soundcloud tags, it says i've provided an invalid url? is this cause everything is private?

As a loop, that sounds fucking great. Really really good.

I really want to hear that finished.

Was that all in the box?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:49 pm 
brown envelope

jordanneke wrote:
sinesnsnares wrote:
So I've been experimenting lately with parallel processing and resampling. This is one of the newer loops i came up with.. I might change the "lead" sounds though, if it sounds too sparse.

Also, for some reason, every time i try and put in the soundcloud tags, it says i've provided an invalid url? is this cause everything is private?

As a loop, that sounds fucking great. Really really good.

I really want to hear that finished.

Was that all in the box?

Thanks! I'll try and make it a full tune when I come back to it :D

All in the box. I've never used hardware at all, just logic 9 and a handful of plugins.
All the drums were samples, and like 80% were from mattias' packs (soo good). The kick was the only layered one, and it was just 2 fridell kicks + a snippet of a distorted 909 just to get snappy transient. The rumble was a reverb kick, an atmospheric field recording pitched down, and a chopped up kick bass loop through verb that I resampled and sidechained to the kick. The synth/atmosphere elements were all resamples from a reaktor blocks jam session I had a week ago, pretty sure it was just a cluster fuck of the west coast blocks.

https://soundcloud.com/thomastimusk/set ... ks/s-AZA08

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:25 am 
Gnasher

sinesnsnares wrote:

thats an amazing loop there! if you can evolve the lead throughout the track and make it shine trough a bit more, that would be perfect. Compression -> distortion -> eq -> subtle delay -> distort (maybe even subtle bitcrush) again -> eq -> compress again could do the trick. so you have something to automate too :)
i think with a nice arrangement this could be a super track!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:33 am 
Gnasher

jordanneke wrote:
over9000 wrote:
what do you think about this one:
https://soundcloud.com/over9000bpm/cthu ... x1/s-OTKJx

not so happy about the bass.. how does it sound on your systems?

Liking the old-school flavour and the mix sounds great to my shitty ears.

Over my headphones that I know fairly well, there does seem to be some weight/thump missing from the kick.

I think that the arrangement could be a bit snappier. The bass is relentless, which is nice, but I think the changes with the synth could be a bit more noticeable, like after the first mini-break, so it counter-acts the relentlessness of the bass.

At the end of the break, there is a little too much distortion on the synth, which is a little unpleasant

Perhaps also try shortening the break and maybe bringing the total time by a minute, the last minute was superfluous, but that might be my personal preference, so feel free to ignore.

thx jordan!
i still think theres something wrong with the kick, gonna check out later. thx for the input about the snappy arrangement, would fit the track much better. =)
What about your dreamy track?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:11 pm 
rescued

Finally back at it after all the end-of-the-year university mess and a long holiday! Am currently swapping out the few pieces of hardware I do have for new stuff, just finished building an LXR and there's an Octatrack in the mail. Also experimenting a lot with sampling.

Anyway, I will get around to reviewing tomorrow.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:09 pm 
rescued

sinesnsnares wrote:

I would add some reverb on that lead sound, it sounds great and I like the panning effect but its still a bit "dry" to my ears. Percussion seems alright too, fits in the mix and definitely has the standard techno vibe.

Edit: I also have this issue when embedding private SC tracks. According to SC it should be possible though so maybe its a subsekt thing?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:33 pm 
rescued

jordanneke wrote:
hades .... :D

Ok, this is bordering on epic cheese. No, it probably is epic cheese.

Finish?

Or is it just too cheesy and simple?

I actually like the vocals a lot but then again maybe I just like cheese. Sure it's been done before but it sounds OK to me at least.

First 1:30 minutes is pretty good, I like the funky bass. The new bass element after 1:30 is a bit weird. Also the double hit around 2:14 sounds awkward. It gets a lot better when you start playing other notes though. The interplay between the lead and this bass is nice, especially the moments where the note of the bass changes but the lead doesn't.

4:50 I like this soft wood perc loop, if you're finishing this then maybe look into bringing it more to the foreground of the track (also around 2:30 etc).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:02 pm 
Alf Garnett

I'm recently waiting on being approved as a student for the microtonic plugin - which made me postpone the beat programming until I get the plugin :P That made me work on atmospherics and right now I listened to the same elements so many times that I would really appreciate some fresh ears on the work I've done so far :)

the rhythm was only for letting me know how this would sound relative to actual rhythms so it's just one of Mattias' samples made very linear!

https://soundcloud.com/rasmus-riegels/lift/s-lqXmO

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:04 pm 
Alf Garnett

sinesnsnares wrote:

That sounds badass! I really like that "Uyung" sound :D what's the source for that sound?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:12 pm 
Alf Garnett

jordanneke wrote:
hades .... :D

Ok, this is bordering on epic cheese. No, it probably is epic cheese.

Finish?

Or is it just too cheesy and simple?

Well if that's simple and cheesy - I like simple cheese!

No but seriously, except for that "GA-uuuuuuuuuuuuhhn" sound that comes in a 1:35 I really like it! It sounds like the stuff that Marcel Dettmann likes to play :) I especially like the groove from around the 1 minute mark and the pads that enters the track later on - they're quite romantic <3

...If you want to please me just remove that hooverish sound :P

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:22 pm 
Pea Dough

Den Bosch wrote:
Finally back at it after all the end-of-the-year university mess and a long holiday! Am currently swapping out the few pieces of hardware I do have for new stuff, just finished building an LXR and there's an Octatrack in the mail. Also experimenting a lot with sampling.

Anyway, I will get around to reviewing tomorrow.

It's a nice piece so far, very nice indeed, but it's let down by the low end. The kick isn't very well defined and it sounds too loose. If I listen carefully I can hear some click in the kick, but it's just a bit mushy.

Perhaps try layering another kick on top to give it some snap and mid-range. I'd also try a touch more compression (maybe). The kick takes up a lot of room, but isn't all that dynamic. Or try shortening the tail of the kick?

Sort the low end out then it'll be great.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:35 pm 
Pea Dough

sinesnsnares wrote:

All in the box. I've never used hardware at all, just logic 9 and a handful of plugins.
All the drums were samples, and like 80% were from mattias' packs (soo good). The kick was the only layered one, and it was just 2 fridell kicks + a snippet of a distorted 909 just to get snappy transient. The rumble was a reverb kick, an atmospheric field recording pitched down, and a chopped up kick bass loop through verb that I resampled and sidechained to the kick. The synth/atmosphere elements were all resamples from a reaktor blocks jam session I had a week ago, pretty sure it was just a cluster fuck of the west coast blocks.

I never knew I had reaktor blocks until you said. How fucking stupid am I?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:06 pm 
brown envelope

jordanneke wrote:

I never knew I had reaktor blocks until you said. How fucking stupid am I?

I think we're even, i literally bought reaktor 6 in october just for blocks, and didn't even notice the factory library until June. But I've been loving blocks since I got it. Just wiring things up, mapping it to a controller and jamming has really spurred my creativity. Pretty much all my synth sounds lately have been coming from Processed/Chopped/Resampled jam sessions.

https://soundcloud.com/thomastimusk/set ... ks/s-AZA08

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:39 pm 
Pea Dough

Amøbe wrote:
I'm recently waiting on being approved as a student for the microtonic plugin - which made me postpone the beat programming until I get the plugin :P That made me work on atmospherics and right now I listened to the same elements so many times that I would really appreciate some fresh ears on the work I've done so far :)

the rhythm was only for letting me know how this would sound relative to actual rhythms so it's just one of Mattias' samples made very linear!

https://soundcloud.com/rasmus-riegels/lift/s-lqXmO

Ok, first when I listened to it I wasn't sure if the reverb kick worked, but after listening more than once, it's fine. Although I think it needs bringing up a bit in the mix (the reverb part)

Two things that for sure need to change in the mix are the dry open hats and the dry-ish snares. They are both too high in the mix. I mixing with the volume right down, as in as so low that you can barely hear it. The last thing you probably should hear is the kick. If I do that with this track, I hear the open hats, the acid line (when it builds) and the snare. So I think you need to spend more time on the levels of the mix.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:24 pm 
Pea Dough

Den Bosch wrote:

I actually like the vocals a lot but then again maybe I just like cheese. Sure it's been done before but it sounds OK to me at least.

First 1:30 minutes is pretty good, I like the funky bass. The new bass element after 1:30 is a bit weird. Also the double hit around 2:14 sounds awkward. It gets a lot better when you start playing other notes though. The interplay between the lead and this bass is nice, especially the moments where the note of the bass changes but the lead doesn't.

4:50 I like this soft wood perc loop, if you're finishing this then maybe look into bringing it more to the foreground of the track (also around 2:30 etc).

Amøbe wrote:

Well if that's simple and cheesy - I like simple cheese!

No but seriously, except for that "GA-uuuuuuuuuuuuhhn" sound that comes in a 1:35 I really like it! It sounds like the stuff that Marcel Dettmann likes to play :) I especially like the groove from around the 1 minute mark and the pads that enters the track later on - they're quite romantic <3

...If you want to please me just remove that hooverish sound :P

Thanks for the advice.

I followed your sugesstions, tidied up the mix a bit, dropped a more defined kick in and followed Steve's master buss compression. The outro isn't really finished yet.

I know this isn't strictly a clip anymore...

ps. That mention of Marcel Dettman, yeah, he's calling me up everyday asking for some new material 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:09 pm 
Interchangeable

jordanneke wrote:

ps. That mention of Marcel Dettman, yeah, he's calling me up everyday asking for some new material 8-) 8-)

he's calling you every day as well ???
fuck, here I thought I was something all special, a unique snowflake and shit... :cry:

that lead/bass kind of sound you bring in from 1:05
it sounds very weak and thin and just plain cheapish compared to the rest of the sounds in your track.
I would change the sound or just take it out, even if it's a vital element of your track right now

The claps could do with a bit more presence in the mix, for sure.

Love how you slowly bring in the pad element.

But not sure if this is just me, but in general this track sounds a lot more "demo" than your other tracks usually do.
Or perhaps it was intended that way ?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:15 pm 
Interchangeable

ok, totally WIP, just a quick jam, no arrangement yet
just looking for opinions,
and like your asshole...
everyone's got an opinion ;)

https://soundcloud.com/hades/booty-house/s-V2YSX

let's hear it !
might change the Rhodes sound later on for a less cliché sound,
think I might also need to add a clap at some point.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:46 pm 
Pea Dough

Hades wrote:
ok, totally WIP, just a quick jam, no arrangement yet
just looking for opinions,
and like your asshole...
everyone's got an opinion ;)

https://soundcloud.com/hades/booty-house/s-V2YSX

let's hear it !
might change the Rhodes sound later on for a less cliché sound,
think I might also need to add a clap at some point.

It's not exactly 'booty house'. It has way too much emotion and melancholy. I was expecting .

But with that being said, It's nice, still VERY hades though. I'd like to hear a track with a 1 bar bass line, or a 1/2 bar bass even, rather than a 16 bar one.

It's a very nice track indeed.The only thing I really don't like is the glockenspiel type sounds. It's just too simple sounding for a nice track. It just sounds too obvious. Either the actual noise or the notes played. It sounds MUCH better without it.

Other than that, just a careful arrangement of what you've got, and only over 5 mins, I think you have a very nice track on your hands.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:47 pm 
Pea Dough

Hades wrote:
jordanneke wrote:

he's calling you every day as well ???
fuck, here I thought I was something all special, a unique snowflake and shit... :cry:

that lead/bass kind of sound you bring in from 1:05
it sounds very weak and thin and just plain cheapish compared to the rest of the sounds in your track.
I would change the sound or just take it out, even if it's a vital element of your track right now

The claps could do with a bit more presence in the mix, for sure.

Love how you slowly bring in the pad element.

But not sure if this is just me, but in general this track sounds a lot more "demo" than your other tracks usually do.
Or perhaps it was intended that way ?

Thanks, I'll get rid out that lead. Swap it out more likely.

What do you mean by 'more demo'?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3532 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167 ... 177  Next