where do you DJs promo your mixes?

General Chat // Music Discussion
L8Night
Get a fucking avatar
where do you DJs promo your mixes?

Post by L8Night »

hey, just wondering where the DJs in this group promo there mixes. im from a city where its not a very popular genre so its tough to get a following. facebook groups seems to just be not so supportive and soundcloud is kinda dying. Basically looking for a few forums like this one but geared more towards Techno Djs. if there even is any lol . thanks

Hades
Shit Eater
Re: where do you DJs promo your mixes?

Post by Hades »

L8Night wrote:hey, just wondering where the DJs in this group promo there mixes. im from a city where its not a very popular genre so its tough to get a following. facebook groups seems to just be not so supportive and soundcloud is kinda dying. Basically looking for a few forums like this one but geared more towards Techno Djs. if there even is any lol . thanks
you live in a city with something like 800.000+ people.
It's the number 5 city in Canada, according to wiki.
I got Canadian relatives and I've lived and worked there a few times many years ago.
It's a sad fact that the biggest part of US+Canada still have to catch up to proper electronic music even though both techno and house originally came from the continent. (all they seem to have "discovered" recently is stupid fucking EDM)
But anyway... don't want to sound like a total dick,
but if I were you, I'd just try my best to surround yourself with like-minded people.
Surely you must find some of those in a city that big ? :)

And if I may suggest something which you probably already knew :
prioritize making your own music, and keep the DJ'ing as a 2nd thing.
Nowadays, if my sick neighbor's dog just ate 7 blind mice for breakfast, you can be damn sure 5 out of those 7 blind mice were already a rising DJ star.
The DJ market is completely over-saturated, so yeah, make great music and then people will only expect you to DJ for them. But don't expect to be a DJ and then get people to start liking your music, so to say. :)
If you're just a DJ, then you're a simple fish in a sea of hundreds of thousands trying to do the same.
If you make good and original music however... ;)

checking out your music while I write this.
welcome to subsekt btw ! ;)
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Plyphon
endless

Post by Plyphon »

Promo'ing "mixes" isn't really a one off game. The mix these days is usually part of a bigger thing - ie, website (eg: Resident Advisor mixes), radio/internet radio show (eg: Beats In Space/RinseFM/etc), event (eg: dekmantel mixes) or part of a bigger ongoing blog (eg: feelmybicep blog mixes).

Just putting a mix out there is basically putting a message in a bottle into a sea made entirely of messages in bottles these days - unless you're a big name or have something else behind the mix (from the above) to support the music.

What I would do is approach small/medium sizes publications/promotors/events/etc that support your style and do a sort of mix series, and just ask if they're looking for entries.

Back when I was making techno I was approached by a small night from Amsterdam who wanted me to submit a mix for them, I did that and it got thousands of views, compared to the 100 or so I would of got if I just uploaded it myself. Because they already have a following based off of their night.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Plyphon wrote: Back when I was making techno
now hold on here !
you mean to say you somehow switched to tech house in the last few years ??
you fucking cunt !

;)

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

making techno is very much like making love to a beautiful woman...

youtu.be/UxWnQBbIDgQ

Plyphon
endless

Post by Plyphon »

Hades wrote:
Plyphon wrote: Back when I was making techno
now hold on here !
you mean to say you somehow switched to tech house in the last few years ??
you fucking cunt !

;)

Im making tech house great again

One shuffle at a time

L8Night
Get a fucking avatar

Post by L8Night »

Hades wrote: checking out your music while I write this.
welcome to subsekt btw ! ;)
i have been starting to focus on more of doing my own music, which actually led me to this site. as for finding like minded people , its actually difficult in this city as i said before its not techno friendly. thanks for the input though.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

I think most places in North America aren't exactly techno friendly,
we're pretty blessed here in Europe when it comes to that.

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears

Post by over9000 »

this is something ive thought about too.
but then again i mix or make music for myself, when someone likes it, fine, if not thats also ok.
maybe you could put together the best of the best mix you can and send it too a big podcast that fits your style.
i tried that a few times, but never succeded lol, so probably not the best advice right there.

sinesnsnares
Pig

Post by sinesnsnares »

I've never been to Edmonton, and I'm speaking mostly as a consumer, but maybe start your own nights? Here in Toronto techno is in an interesting spot. The big club "Techno nights" are playing what I call "ibiza techno," and only the really big "underground" artists (think ben klock/nina kraviz) will play the large clubs. But a couple of smaller promotion companies have been absolutely killing it lately. They book amazing international artists with really talented locals in cool, smaller clubs or random locations. I've been exposed to a lot of local artists that I otherwise wouldn't have come across, and I feel way more positive about the scene now than when I was going to the larger clubs.

Granted, this is the biggest city in the country so it's definitely easier to book bigger names, but still: I'm absolutely stoked for a smaller, local talent party coming up this week.

msl
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Post by msl »

I like Flat.fm a lot, I post my all my mixes there, cool site user interface, they have good traffic and generally good quality, you have to be vetted. I also post to Mix.dj which accepts anyone. Those two have the most listeners ime. Neither are techno specific

www.bernadettetrax.bandcamp.com
www.soundcloud.com/michaellovatt

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.” Dune

terly
arsehole

Post by terly »

You are in edmonton? Do you know refuge crew? They have brought Kassem mosse and many other great artists

Barfunkel
Smalahove

Post by Barfunkel »

No one (besides a few friends and most of the time even they don't) listens to random DJ mixes from a bedroom DJ. They are pretty much meaningless as a way to promote yourself as a DJ. The people who own clubs or the promoters there don't, unless they know you personally (and even that's guarantees nothing).

Unless you're a really well known DJ, you get gigs by getting to know other local DJ's and promoters. Like 95% of my DJ gigs have been a result of me talking to those people, my mixes have had about 0% to do with that.

People will listen to your mixes once you're well-known, but you won't become a well-known DJ by just posting mixes.
"I don't shower every day, but when I do, I do it after listening to some Barfunkel" - Anonymous

http://soundcloud.com/user4904810
http://www.mixcloud.com/Barfunkel/