Roland Boutique sh101 - It's Real

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
The_G
Artificial Hazard
Re: Roland Boutique sh101 - It's Real

Post by The_G »

I'm debating getting that stupid keyboard.

ozias_leduc
ANAL

Post by ozias_leduc »

i hope they do a boutique version of the alpha juno one day

with tiny membrane buttons and a tiny little alpha dial

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

WOLF! wrote:There are rumours that a D-50 boutique version is coming also... .
Keep milking Roland! I'm not buying any of the boutiques because of the format.
SH-101's aren't rare; you see them pop up every week on second hand sites.
I had a D550+PG1000 for a while.
Never figured out why this synth was so legendary...
I mean, yeah, back in the day when they made it, it was quite original,
combining (sampled) attack parts with other sampled sounds.
But nowadays, I see no reason whatsoever to buy a D50 or an improved/updated version.
So good luck to Roland if they want to sell a new version of this.
The D50 was like the number 3 most sold synth ever, if I remember correctly,
so it's dead easy to still find an original one for a fair price. :)
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

Hades wrote:
WOLF! wrote:There are rumours that a D-50 boutique version is coming also... .
Keep milking Roland! I'm not buying any of the boutiques because of the format.
SH-101's aren't rare; you see them pop up every week on second hand sites.
I had a D550+PG1000 for a while.
Never figured out why this synth was so legendary...
I mean, yeah, back in the day when they made it, it was quite original,
combining (sampled) attack parts with other sampled sounds.
But nowadays, I see no reason whatsoever to buy a D50 or an improved/updated version.
So good luck to Roland if they want to sell a new version of this.
The D50 was like the number 3 most sold synth ever, if I remember correctly,
so it's dead easy to still find an original one for a fair price. :)
I had a D-50. It's a huge pain in the ass to program using the menus, so I'd imagine a boutique version would have tactile controls.

WOLF!
Grand

Post by WOLF! »

It's just a rumor guys; we will see if it get released someday. I do get the point of the pain in the ass programming.
That synth is from the era when synth manufacturers did take a step back on the knobs and sliders and introduced a new style of synths (with lot's of menu diving).
D50's are indeed easy to find but so are the SH-101's as well. The issue with the SH-101's is that the prices are high, but if you really want one it is still affordable.
It's not like the Jupiter8 prices today: about 6 to 8000 euro (yes it's a different beast but I tell this for the price tag).
I don't find the format of the original SH-101 is a problem but nowadays people seem to have the tendency to go camping with these battery powered mini backpack sized synths.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

yeah, but even if they somehow incorporate easy programming...
nowadays that synth is just a totally outdated concept/idea.
There must be about 500 better options out there than a D50. :)

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

Hades wrote:yeah, but even if they somehow incorporate easy programming...
Depends on what you want to do with it, right? For techno I don't think it's very useful at all. But a lot of people use D-50s or D-50 samples in the late 80s side of synthwave/retrowave. And it's another nostalgia bank that's bound to be loaded up in pop music as well. So it will sell. Maybe not as well as some of the other modules, but well enough to justify putting the D-50 VST they've done in a box.

sergiobR1
Wastedddd

Post by sergiobR1 »

well.... I've been diggin', actually there's already a vst of SH-101 on roland's page that is ACB so...

Even better cos I can take an LFO and put another LFO and make really cool things on the DAW
we speak of art with flaming passion
then do work void of compassion
and wonder why reality is bleeding fiction

delphine
Suspect Handshake

Post by delphine »

The_G wrote:I'm debating getting that stupid keyboard.
the roland a-01 came w/ the keyboard and was being sold at the same price as the keyboard alone earlier this year...

WOLF!
Grand

Post by WOLF! »

And here it is the D-50 in boutique format... .
https://www.roland.com/global/products/d-05/

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

WOLF! wrote:
And here it is the D-50 in boutique format... .
https://www.roland.com/global/products/d-05/

haha,
that thing looks like the countless menu-diving synths they've been making for 25+ years now...
:)

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

ive just cum all over the screen
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Order in for a sh01a & stoopid keyboard. October arrival date.

I've had no computer for the last few months (Still dont).. but should be getting sorted soon.

Nearly bought a 'near mint' sh101 recently.. but made a hasty retreat when I discovered there had been a battery acid leak. Not worth the risk.

I can't mod this new version.. but it'll be more reliable & does a lot of different stuff to the original. It sounds like a nice instrument.

The 05 looks nice too.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

Southpaw
quasi-public

Post by Southpaw »

Críoch wrote:Order in for a sh01a & stoopid keyboard. October arrival date.

I've had no computer for the last few months (Still dont).. but should be getting sorted soon.

Nearly bought a 'near mint' sh101 recently.. but made a hasty retreat when I discovered there had been a battery acid leak. Not worth the risk.

I can't mod this new version.. but it'll be more reliable & does a lot of different stuff to the original. It sounds like a nice instrument.

The 05 looks nice too.
I haven't read the entire thread just wondered if you'd ever owned one? How much was it going for? Sold my last one for ( grey with mod grip ) £435 to my mate who lives 2 doors away and he's downsizing so may want to get rid of it?

Saw some of the 01a vids, sounds the same to me but it's the low and highs I haven't heard. It's like the emulations, say the Tal one. Middle ground sort of frequency area you can feel it's quite there but real high end tones and real low end tones it isn't. The 101 is also capable of some really punchy 909/808 ish kicks which I just can't get close to on the plugin.

I liked the sequencer on the 101 too and it's something you should get into if you get one. The last time I had one, I had a Novation Super Bass Station rack which had a midi to CV converter built in but then i realised it just needed a trigger/pulse. I was using it live with a Machinedrum and sending it a 'pulse' wave, which was a spiky, self designed pulse waveform I engineered in Wavelab and saved as a sample. I used to send that as 16th notes, full on, every 16th and that would play back my 101 sequence but the fun happens when you start popping gaps in there or changing the pattern length etc.

It's one of my all time fav synths, it's simple, basic but has a great tone and has some big sounds but I wouldn't go silly money for one. I sampled the waveforms before I sold my last one and took various pulse width samples. Not the same but I get better results with those in Ableton and Cytomic the Drop than I do with the emulation ( Tal )
Deep House & Dub Techno Samples https://www.abitdeeper.com/

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Er.. Erm.. I was going to spend a lot. Top dollar. Was definitely going a bit silly for a few days over it , getting into a bidding war until I snapped out of it. Had made arrangements to collect etc.. but couldn't take a risk on corrosion.

If you can get it back for the same price, I'd say go for it. You can always sell it on if you decide & won't lose anything. Prices will go ballistic now.

The more I looked into them, the more I got the wobbles. At the time, I was in the process of getting rid of some unhealthy gear, swinging the sword of Solomon like a boss; choosing what to keep & what to let go. Obtaining more shite & spending $€£'s for the privilege scared me.

I've got an mc202 that will get modded to within an inch of its life now instead. The sh01a looks to be a wicked sound module & midi / cv unit. They'll possibly be great together.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Aye.. the seq / trig in looks deadly. I'm dribbling with anticipation :mrgreen:

Southpaw
quasi-public

Post by Southpaw »

Im not quite sure why you'd need the 101 if you have an MC 202, never had one but aren't they identical apart from the 202 not having noise? Always wanted an MC 202, I think they're way cooler than a 101.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

I was planning on selling the MC & modding the SH. I just wanted the seq , ext in & extra lfo waves.

And the noise.

Never happy. The usual story :)

Southpaw
quasi-public

Post by Southpaw »

This is what does my head in, friggin ebay crackheads price hiking gear just because it's analog or 'retro'. The digital synths are starting to get the same blanket treatment too, I quite like DX synths and recently got some new gear, one of which was the Volca FM. Initially, I was gonna get the TX81z or a DX21 as my DX11 doesn't really work but I'm fecked if I'm paying stoopid money for those. In the 90's when I was a kid at school, one of my first synths I bought was the 101, I got it for £180, the next one was £435 off a guy on Gumtree and I thought that was ridiculous money for one, sold it for the same though so I guess if you buy one, you're prob gonna get back what you paid. I've seen people ask a grand which I think is nuts to be honest considering its musical potential. Have you not looked at a straight swap? I'd have been up for that had I still had it.

Anyway, what I was gonna say was, have you looked into maybe the SH-09 or the SH-02? I don't see them crop up that often but for some reason they seem to fetch less than the 101 and I think the 09 & 02 are better synths, you can detune as well which is a big thing I think. I want one myself, wicked bass sounds, punchy as hell. There's some magic in those early Roland synths

Southpaw
quasi-public

Post by Southpaw »

Had one myself and I wasn't a fan. I first got a Roland D5 thinking it was like the D50 without efx but it was an absolute piece of shit, worst synth I have ever owned but I stuck with it and learned that LA synthesis thing with the partials and wot not. When I got the D50 I was expected to be blown away but I just wasn't and eventually I swapped it for a Wavestation which, imo, is a much better synth. Of all the Roland digital synths I had, I only really liked the JV1080. I do like a bit of that rompler type sound for certain things but people would be better off just getting Omnisphere. Eric Persing was the guy behind a lot of those patches anyway.