What is some currently interesting/innovative hardware?

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
sergiobR1
Wastedddd
Re: What is some currently interesting/innovative hardware?

Post by sergiobR1 »

I'm using the TAL-bassline and some vsts I think mopho is gonna be much better than what I'm using right now LOL
we speak of art with flaming passion
then do work void of compassion
and wonder why reality is bleeding fiction

xonetacular
Gnasher

Post by xonetacular »

mopho filled some niche in like 2009 when there weren't many options for affordable entry level analog synths- there are so many better choices today I would never recommend one.

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

SixOfOne wrote:
Mono-xID wrote:0-coast is as Eurorack as my Dominion 1. It's a complete standalone synth with Euro-capabilities. Nothing more nothing less.
It's a collection of Makenoise modules grouped together in a desktop box. Also happens to be easily mounted into a eurorack case. I didn't know the Dominion 1 could be mounted as easily

youtu.be/eRAterQB2us
Invalid. Make Noise themselves advertising it as a desktop synth and not a module.
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

xonetacular wrote:mopho filled some niche in like 2009 when there weren't many options for affordable entry level analog synths- there are so many better choices today I would never recommend one.
This, basically.
Not DSI at their best.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

Lost to the Void wrote:I think you are bypassing the stuff both the NYX and the Abyss can do that are quite unique to them.
The individual glides for example, on the NYX,, can't be done with the Dominion.
Both those devices have some quite unique features hidden away, of course they sound great out of the box, but they do have some clever tricks up their sleeves.
They are a bit pricey but the sound quality of them is so fucking good. I don't think anyone is making oscillators that sound as good in the price range.

Those modor things are kinda interesting though, seen a few going cheap used but something keeps stopping me from buying, they have a nice sound.
Nothing you can't do in software of course, but they are quite nice.

Bastl do a granular sampler that's pretty interesting.
Hence I said "most of the sounds". There some tricks for sure but for me personally these didn't justified the money I would have to pay when everything else would overlap. I got a nice discount on the Modor via my mate so the decision was a no-brainer.
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths

sergiobR1
Wastedddd

Post by sergiobR1 »

I'm so confused right now. I reaally need a monophonic synth. What should I get for 400$ ? korg ms-20 mini ?

xonetacular
Gnasher

Post by xonetacular »

0-coast: for people who want some eurorack but are in denial and don't want to get shit from their internet friends

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

sergiobR1 wrote:I'm so confused right now. I reaally need a monophonic synth. What should I get for 400$ ? korg ms-20 mini ?
If you want analog, then the best bang for buck would be
Korg Monologue
Novation Basstation 2
Arturia Minibrute

All come in under 400 bucks.
I'd opt for one of the first 2 as the Minibrute is only single osc. They all sound great.
New Shit

sergiobR1
Wastedddd

Post by sergiobR1 »

ok thanks mate.

collide
Smore

Post by collide »

sergiobR1 wrote:I'm so confused right now. I reaally need a monophonic synth. What should I get for 400$ ? korg ms-20 mini ?
Novation Bass Station 2.

8-)

collide
Smore

Post by collide »

xonetacular wrote:0-coast: for people who want some eurorack but are in denial and don't want to get shit from their internet friends
:lol:

WOLF!
Grand

Post by WOLF! »

Had a MS20 mini but it had noise problems that the original models didn't have.
Also lacks patch memory (off course) but it depend on what you're searching for.
(I don't like mini keys so the module would be more suited for me).

BS2 is very nice and patch memory is really handy.
It's often mentioned as a poor man's (like me) SH-101; I find it a very usable synth for the money.
For a beginner the manual of the BS2 is written very clear and at a starter level.

The new Korg synth (mono and mini) also look very interesting for the money but I don't have any experience with those.

Had a mopho keys but it's long gone for a Evolver right now. There sure is better stuff out there the a mopho in these interesting times.

Monosynths are lovely, everyone should own one (or more) ;) .

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Funny how anti eurorack subsekt is in a way.
Mono-xID wrote:Modor NF-1
Awesome! Been looking at that one for a while, though the last thing i need right now is another synth to fog my brain and workflow.

zukenbauer
You only live once

Post by zukenbauer »

Stealing a subject for a second..

What would you guys buy first, minilogue or sub phatty?
I always wanted that moog sound but then again I can do alot more with minilogue and it seems a little better option for a first synth.
Maybe buy minilogue and start saving for sub 37?

ekwipt
Smore

Post by ekwipt »

Maybe get the minilogue and the new behringer moog

zukenbauer
You only live once

Post by zukenbauer »

Yeah, all paths leads me to minilogue, I just need somebody to convince me its the right decision as I cant buy anything without second opinion

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Minilogue.
I've owned many many synths over the years and the minilogue really makes me smile.
It is surprisingly versatile, you can get very squishy warm vintage Korg mono/poly sounds, and then really modern analogue, crisp, metallic, fuzzy.
Unison it up for stupid thick mono sounds.
I get bored of synthy sounds very easily, I'm much more into electro-acoustic and acousmatic sound, but I keep coming back to the minilogue.
Easily worth the money, its actually amazing how reasonably priced it is.
Genuine no brainer.
New Shit

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Alume wrote:Funny how anti eurorack subsekt is in a way.
There is a very specific reason I am, not anti, just can't be fucked with eurocrack.
Anecdote time with some lame name dropping..

I was in the studio last week with Nick Dunton and Steve Makaton.
Steve is big big big into modular, he got on the eurocrack train looking before it became the fashion it is today and really really knows his shit.
He spent years building a system and then learning it to the point where he knew what he was doing fully. It's one of the reasons he sort of went fairly silent on his own releases for a while. But now he's back, blueprint releases under his belt etc... He did a superb modular live PA at the Brighton modular meetup.
The only good live PA with modular I have heard that doesn't sound, as he would put it, full of "vanilla" sounds. ie bleeps and bloops and arpeggios, common to most modular muck shat out by the berlin herd..

Anyway, he brought his live kit (his full studio modular is quite a beast now) with him to my place, as if we had time after getting shit sorted in the mastering room, we were going to make some music.

Anyway, we didn't have time.

So we went and visited Nick at his studio at the end of Steve's visit here, and whilst we were there Mak got out his modular and gave us a demo of what he does and how it all works.
Now he made some nice sounds, and me and Nick were both saying
"Ooh nice, can you this? or blah blah?" and then Steve would say yes.
And then he would begin repatching. And it was in these moments that me and Nick were looking at each other and sort of twiddling our thumbs.

And this is really the point, Steve is a modular master, and even then, when we were having ideas, the flow was totally broken up by the repatching and then farting about.

Both me and Nick are musicians. We both play instruments, Nick - keyboards and a bit of drums, me Drums, guitar, bit of keyboard. We get ideas and then we want to make those ideas reality. Steve is more of a... I don't know the word. Studio fiddler? Studio guy?
He fiddles until he gets what he likes and then works from there.

And that is where modular comes in. As a musician I want an instrument, and I will play that instrument and make noises with it to realise my ideas. Modular is not conducive to that mindset. With modular you are making your instrument again and again. And the gear does a lot of the work. If you like fiddling and playing until something happens that you like and then take inspiration from that, modular is more suited to you.
Neither is more valid than the other.

I'm too impatient to make my own instruments! Give me a guitar to play, I don't want to make my own. I want my ideas realised yesterday before they vapourise.

Once my ideas are released, then I experiment with treating and warping them.
I do think maybe getting modular as an fx unit to process audio might be something I would be more in to. But then the form factor bothers me. Too fiddly, I like clunky big effects boxes and stomp boxes you can kick.
New Shit

Markus Wolf
reverse genius

Post by Markus Wolf »

Does anyone own a Dave Smith Mono Evolver? I had one briefly liked it but sold it because it wasn't getting much use. Anyone like these little boxes. I remember having quite a few good presets to start off. If you could get over the matrix style programming on the desktop they can be had quite cheaply. I found one for 240 BP in great shape. Im probably going to pick it up tomorrow.

Markus Wolf
reverse genius

Post by Markus Wolf »

I owned a mopho and didnt like it. I didnt like the filter at all....That being said you can do allot with it with a little elbow grease. Everything gets sampled and manipulated anyways.... Thats one thing about the Evovler the filters but I guess im going to look into some kind of outboard stereo filter next...