It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:55 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: DAC
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:40 pm 
reverse genius

Something I made last night, not sure about the arrangement though. Maybe too many things going on at once, hard to judge since I've heard it too many times by now to be objective about it.

Post subject: Re: DAC
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:58 am 
Spam Bot

I don't know if the 808-ish hats really fit with that very dirty lowend. The lows and lows mids seem a bit muddy and cluttered to me, it's hard to make out that riff because off the bassline.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:26 pm 
slipper

well.... it's a good track overall. There's a certain freq on the begging that's too loud.
I feel every element dead on headphones (DT 770 pro 250ohm)
Then with my yamahas i was able appreciate the low fi... and it sounds good.

Good work ! a banger tool mix for sure.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:13 pm 
Unfriended

Very bashy, I think you could work some looser sounding, clangy Blawan/Ansome/KSP kinda percs in though and just go all out

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:10 pm 
reverse genius

Thanks for the suggestions, reworked the synths/percussion and cut some freqs in the intro.

New version, tried to make the new bits fit the low end a bit better this time around. Still have some doubts about it, though I think it's a bit more balanced (for the distorted mess that it is).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:27 pm 
Sensitivity Error

Oh man, that shit hits hard when it drops. The only problem is that when the drop happens, a lot of the width and 'air' that make the intro VERY listenable, all disappear and you're left with something that sounds a bit muffled instead.

Perhaps give the main synths a bit more at the top end, as it sounds like they maybe lp'd (and too distorted as well). In fact maybe keep the intro running over the whole track. Also that great percussion may need a touch of brightness too.

Is the whole thing limited or compressed? There doesn't seem to be much dynamic range.

A few eq tweaks and this is a banger.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:57 pm 
reverse genius

I think there's still a limiter on the master, but it's not doing much anymore, since lots of individual sounds are 'controlled' with clippers.... Not really good practice but the only way I could (quickly)fit in loads of distorted sounds, and have them cut through the mix.

Would have to check though, and maybe I should just rebalance the channels. The problem with this one is really the cpu usage(or rather the pc itself), lots of freezing going on, a couple of tracks more than once, and now I'm at the point again where it begins to crackle and skip, it's driving me a bit insane tbh :v

Might just start a different track using the intro sounds a a base, since it doesn't really seem to fit the rest anymore, and I think I had some problems mixing it with the distorted kick, so I just cut it out completely when it drops...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:23 pm 
broke

RE: CPU
Have you tried increasing the sample rate in ableton/whatever DAW? When I run into CPU problems (even after freezing what I can) I'll increase it up to 512 or whatever and only set it low when it comes to exporting the track.

The track is awesome, it's right up my street. There's loads going on which piques my interest; I don't think it's too much.
What I think is to much is the siren going on and on. At 3:12 (wherever feels natural) I'd pull it out of the mix and let the percussion roll for a bit and, of course, opening the mix up so you can hear all the subtleties of the percussion.

That mad effect squeze you have on the siren at the end of its pattern is really cool, especially since it's changing each time.

The track does sound a little boxy, like it's slightly overcompressed or has too many channels running into the same distortion.

I don't think you need to strip the track back - it's ok to have tunes that are super busy and claustrophobic so long as the mix is balanced. And of course, in a live setting it's not that pleasant to listen to such busy tunes in succession...

Enjoyed listening, thank you!