Rhythm + Percussion Variation - Slow Down Hats etc...drive e

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
iggyfog
Unfriended
Rhythm + Percussion Variation - Slow Down Hats etc...drive e

Post by iggyfog »

Hi - tried looking for this as an already existing topic on the forum but couldn't find it - but forgive me if already posted!

I was hoping to look for some tips on how to create variation on percussion and rhythm parts and generally what people do add a bit more interest?

One technique I was really hoping to understand better is that slow down effect that artists use on open hats - (can't find an example at the mo - will post)

It almost sounds like a rapid pitch drop but if I have tried changing the pitch and it sounds messy. It almost sounds like a setting on a delay with a pitch drop.

One other area that i was hoping to understand better is how people like cleric/dax j achieve that "hard driving sound" that propels their tracks:

An example is seen constantly throughout this track:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0tzBpYnEdc[/youtube]

It starts from the very start of this track and is pretty much through out the track - a driving percussive sound on the beat - almost sounds like some modified snares/hats etc?

Thanks - apologies is this vage!

victer
Pig
Re: Rhythm + Percussion Variation - Slow Down Hats etc...dri

Post by victer »

Hello Iggyfog !
Here is a topic about creating drive in your tracks, if I remember correctly there are a lot of tips in it !
http://www.subsekt.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... ive+groove

About creating variation in your percussions, there are plenty of ways to create that : automation, velocity programming, off-grid sequencing, lfo's, audio effects.
I think the best resuslts are achieved by using a little bit of everything in a subtle manner. Instead of modulate only one parameter drastically, using many in a subtle way will achieve more variation and make your track groove more.
Of course above that your sequences and sound choice will have a critical impact on your ability to create a driving beat, you want to aim for big, full percussion samples with a lot of transient.
About that cleric track :I couldn't listen with a proper sound but these kind of percussive track often use a simple trick that was given away by Lost to the Void : create your percussion loop at a higher bpm then pitch them down to fit the original bpm of the track and it will give them more low-end weight so they will carry the groove even more.
I can't comment on that"slow-down hihat effect" because I don't really see what you mean, maybe an example would help.
Also if you want to use a youtube video in your post, you need to paste the part after the 'v=' in your video url in the box.

I hope that was useful !
facebook.com/bepulsed

ZenoSupreme
arsehole

Post by ZenoSupreme »

the drive from that beat (at the beginning) seems to come from some modified snares indeed. My best guess is that a snare roll pattern has been used, and the main effect is the reverb with the dry turned down a low. What remains is this kind of resonating sound.

iggyfog
Unfriended

Post by iggyfog »

Nice one - thanks for that - much appreciated for all your help!

iggyfog
Unfriended

Post by iggyfog »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekGmifGADTE

An example of the hat slow down effect occurs at the 2:57 mark.

xonetacular
Gnasher

Post by xonetacular »

That's just a 909 ride dropping pitch. Been done thousands of times and very simple to do.

intrusav
Rolf Harris

Post by intrusav »

All velocity linked ..

iggyfog
Unfriended

Post by iggyfog »

xonetacular wrote:That's just a 909 ride dropping pitch. Been done thousands of times and very simple to do.
nice one - i have tried that but just sounds massively ropey so will give it another try.

iggyfog
Unfriended

Post by iggyfog »

whoops just got it - thanks!

Root
BANNED

Post by Root »

Getting rhythmic elements is about experimenting with audioeffects, field recordings, crushing and cutting samples, ... and finding your very own way through this. There are so many ways, that it won't help to tell any rules or ways it should be done. What I can say is, that I worked long and hard on this without any good results. Surely in most cases delay and reverb won't be wrong.
:geek:

buffered
Freestyler

Post by buffered »

Root wrote:Getting rhythmic elements is about experimenting with audioeffects, field recordings, crushing and cutting samples, ... and finding your very own way through this. There are so many ways, that it won't help to tell any rules or ways it should be done. What I can say is, that I worked long and hard on this without any good results. Surely in most cases delay and reverb won't be wrong.
Agree with this. Sidechaining to control these effects is also something that should be considered. Not in an excessive way but allowing room for elements makes a huge difference.

Huck Farper
Alf Garnett

Post by Huck Farper »

buffered wrote:
Root wrote:Getting rhythmic elements is about experimenting with audioeffects, field recordings, crushing and cutting samples, ... and finding your very own way through this. There are so many ways, that it won't help to tell any rules or ways it should be done. What I can say is, that I worked long and hard on this without any good results. Surely in most cases delay and reverb won't be wrong.
Agree with this. Sidechaining to control these effects is also something that should be considered. Not in an excessive way but allowing room for elements makes a huge difference.
yeah or side eq'ing.