TR-8 or TR-09

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
sergiobR1
Wastedddd
TR-8 or TR-09

Post by sergiobR1 »

Hello guys, so I've been on the void for a while, and now since I got my brand new yamaha monitors, now I'm triying to think about what I'm going to buy next.
And seems like a drummachine is what I'm needing right now.

I've been almost sure that TR-8 is gonna be the right decision but I have rode that TR-09 have a ARM processor and that makes it more 'powerful' .... i don't know.... tr-8 has that expansion that drives me crazy.
Does anyone here own a tr-09 ? would be nice some feedback.

Cheers.
we speak of art with flaming passion
then do work void of compassion
and wonder why reality is bleeding fiction

WOLF!
Grand
Re: TR-8 or TR-09

Post by WOLF! »

TR-8; best interface, extra kits and 4 outputs.
Just don't expect it to be a magic box.

sergiobR1
Wastedddd

Post by sergiobR1 »

nono, I'm not looking something magical or super analog. I just want something better than my ableton interface, and, of course something more creative and dynamic than a drumrack controlled by a mouse. I have bought a novation launchcontrol XL and was awful. so I think a drummachine is something proper for my needs, again, not looking something analog, I just need some budget one and seems like the TR-09 or tr-8 is what I am needing.
The thing is that TR-09 they say that it has "better sound" but I am not hearing something different than a static sound on the tr-8

sergiobR1
Wastedddd

Post by sergiobR1 »

I am feeling some movement on the sounds on the TR-09 but I don't feel that a few analog guitar pedals can't deal with it on the tr-8. Also found that I can play a tr-909 kick drum and a 606 hi hat on the tr-8 that's an ACE.

Is tr-09 good enough to buy it ?

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

The sound is great on the tr8. The controls are perfect.

4 outputs is grand.. but I wanted more. If you try to use the outs over usb, you won't be able to use your soundcard.. so forget about recording another synth or anything at the same time. It's a cunt that way.. the Achilles heel.

So there was that usb aspect & also limitations with the patterns; you could only chain 2 together.. 16steps each. The tr8 is an unlikely software update from being almost perfect.

The tr09 appears to be a similar animal. I think the patterns are better featured - check that though as I'm not 100% tbh.. but the output choice is even less, just L&R. Full outputs are available over USB, which is probably the same shite as the tr8.

Anyway, I believe life is too short for recording multiple passes. I've enough inputs on my desk & soundcard and it frustrated me not being able to set everything up the way that I wanted.

Out of the 2.. I'd go for the tr8.

More flexible. More sounds. More direct outputs (4x). Full sized.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

sergiobR1
Wastedddd

Post by sergiobR1 »

Críoch wrote:If you try to use the outs over usb, you won't be able to use your soundcard.. so forget about recording another synth or anything at the same time. It's a cunt that way.. the Achilles heel.
Wow man, I wasn't expected that... thx so much for the enlightment.
So... I can't record the sound individualy to my ableton on PC right ?

I mean, maybe I can but only clean sound and everything on the mix output... that's so ruin...

I'm doomed to have not a drummachine like.... forever hahahah

I live in Argentina and I just can't afford a legend drummachine or a good sampler ( i can afford an Electribe2 but it sucks)

What should I do ? It is imposible to record individual sounds from the tr-8 to my DAW throught my soundcard ?

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

No.. You can totally use the TR8. It works & sounds great haha :D

You can assign any channels output to either A,B,C,D 1/4" output on the back. So it would be best to group them. Kick on A, Clap /Snare on B, Toms on C, Hats on D.

The ONLY way to simultaneously record EACH sound out at the same time, on its own channel (or more than 4) is via USB. This puts the TR8 into 'soundcard mode' and you should probably look and see if you can use 2 soundcards together on your PC. I couldnt with Mac & Ableton. I think some people had success with the TR8 and Logic. Not sure. I tried so much to make it work & it just wouldnt. So much fucking around in Lives preferences. It plays as an aggregate device / 96k soundcard with 12 channels USB. The 12th channel is an input via the 1/4 " EXT Sidechain in - or whatever its called. I had some success feeding an external synth in there, as a guide.

You need to do some google searches on setting up USB audio on a PC & ableton etc.. to see what exactly is possible for you.

For me, menu diving & special bloody settings totally defeats the purpose of all this stuff. You should just be able to turn it on & do what you want without too much messing around.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

sergiobR1
Wastedddd

Post by sergiobR1 »

Ohhh now I get it.
The only way to record every sound individually is through USB and only record that on 96k.

But wait... not everything is lost mate. U just said that I can group sounds and send those groups throught A B C or D.

Well... I'm feeling like that's ok for 500 U$S right ?hahahah

So I can group Kick in A, tombs in B, clap rim shot and snares on C and Rides and Hats on D. And record all through my soundcard.
But, just one more question. Is that a "hidden function" ?

sergiobR1
Wastedddd

Post by sergiobR1 »

just found the answer ! on this link:https://www.rolandus.com/support/knowle ... /201920369

hope this help someone else !

dippy egg
Unartful

Post by dippy egg »

It sounds like you are only interested in hardware but the D16 emulations are really very good. I bought Drumazon (909) for like $40 from KVR and I like it very much. Having a hardware interface would make it much more fun but seeing as I would only record the patterns into my DAW and then work on them from there I thought I would try the emulations before buying a TR8... I'm glad I did because I no longer want a TR8.

Maybe its not something you want but it may be worth considering, if you haven't already?

sergiobR1
Wastedddd

Post by sergiobR1 »

I have drumazon and the groove is awful. accent, groove, swing are not even close.
Anyway, the real deal with the tr-8 is the workflow. U can't get that workflow with a mouse programming of an emulation. (I have found hats sound very accurate but the rest I just can't deal with it).
Same with Phosyon... NOT EVEN CLOSE. But, is very nice to get a square bass without resonance and a filter... that's the only use I get from phoscyon.

Monreal
You only live once

Post by Monreal »

Honestly sold my TR8 after 3 months. It's a great addition for live set up I'd assume but for production only you can very well save up some money for a more versatile drum machine and use an 808/909 sample pack or a plug in on your Ableton.

Don't buy it for the sake of having a hardware.

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears

Post by over9000 »

Monreal wrote:Honestly sold my TR8 after 3 months. It's a great addition for live set up I'd assume but for production only you can very well save up some money for a more versatile drum machine and use an 808/909 sample pack or a plug in on your Ableton.

Don't buy it for the sake of having a hardware.
exactly what i did, sold after 3 months.
if you have a hardware only setup it might be a good machine, but the daw integration is just awful.
Dident make anything with it in the end.

dippy egg
Unartful

Post by dippy egg »

sergiobR1 wrote:I have drumazon and the groove is awful. accent, groove, swing are not even close.
Anyway, the real deal with the tr-8 is the workflow. U can't get that workflow with a mouse programming of an emulation. (I have found hats sound very accurate but the rest I just can't deal with it).
Same with Phosyon... NOT EVEN CLOSE. But, is very nice to get a square bass without resonance and a filter... that's the only use I get from phoscyon.
Hmmm.... The rate at which used TR8s are sold would suggest that they aren't much better. In fact, I have heard many share your complaint about the original 909, certainly when it comes to swing. I have never used the real thing so can not comment.

With so many used TR8s on the market (assuming that this is true for Argentina as it is in Europe) the sensible thing would be to buy a used one and try it for yourself. Then when you decide it's no better than Drumazon you can sell it on without losing money.

Plyphon
endless

Post by Plyphon »

I thought I wanted a hardware drum machine but I bought an Ableton Push 2 instead, it works for me to get that drum machine workflow.

Though I'm not trying to poo-poo hardware, hardware drum machines are very fun, I'm just not sure if they save any time/make better music/are a better way of working.

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Plyphon wrote:I thought I wanted a hardware drum machine but I bought an Ableton Push 2 instead, it works for me to get that drum machine workflow.

Though I'm not trying to poo-poo hardware, hardware drum machines are very fun, I'm just not sure if they save any time/make better music/are a better way of working.
Depends from person to person. I like to make my basic grooves in hardware and add offbeat and offgrid drum elements in ableton.

Plyphon
endless

Post by Plyphon »

Alume wrote:
Plyphon wrote:I thought I wanted a hardware drum machine but I bought an Ableton Push 2 instead, it works for me to get that drum machine workflow.

Depends from person to person. I like to make my basic grooves in hardware and add offbeat and offgrid drum elements in ableton.

Maybe, but that is objectively a longer and more complicated process than just dragging samples into Ableton and using a midi pad device to input the notes, which was more my point. There's a big trade off that you've got to figure if it's really worth it for yourself.

sergiobR1
Wastedddd

Post by sergiobR1 »

Well... I just waited enough cos just found a MFB-522 on a facebook audio group !
Gonna get it tomorrow, I'm really happy with this decision cos if it doesn't work (I really think it's gonna work) I just sell it again.
$400us for those who want to know the price of this discontinued relic.
Thoughts ?

nritchie89
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by nritchie89 »

I own a TR-8 its great fun to play with but when comes down to Ableton as was stated earlier its not ideal, I am keeping it as I love it and will get the good of it eventually to use it playing live, can't speak for the TR-09 but a mate has compared the two and not noticed much a difference in sound so with TR-8 you can't argue with the 4 different kits. For Ableton use I get much better results using Push, its drum rack set up is superb and can get nice patterns together very quickly.

buffered
Freestyler

Post by buffered »

nritchie89 wrote: can't speak for the TR-09 but a mate has compared the two and not noticed much a difference in sound so with TR-8 you can't argue with the 4 different kits.
please don't post anecdotal opinions of mates. this can perpetuate inaccurate info.
I've tested both boxes side by side and they are noticeably different.
The TR-09 has a clicky kick drum. TR-8 has more body.
Hihats on the TR-09 sound more faithfull to the original TR-909.

For lack of a better term, the TR-08 sounds more 'round' and closer to useable sound straight out of the box. TR-09 is a bit thinner requiring processing to fit into production. Which, if you have used an original 909, is also the case.

In short, if you want a faithful 909 reproduction, go for TR-09. If you want a fun drum machine that sounds like slightly updated sounds of 909, 808, 606 go for the TR-08.