Elektron Digitakt

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
yentz
site spammer
Re: Elektron Digitakt

Post by yentz »

Not sure what is so spercial about the unit. It is a sampler with a sequencer. Don't know if there is anything new or innovative. I have an octatrack and I can't see the point of buying one of these.
Regarding overbridge... I also use a rytm and a4 and overbridge just sucks. Tried on 2 macs and a windows pc and I always end up having timing issues (used internal sync as well as erm multi clock) which are due to the handling of the digital audio (analogue outputs are spot on regarding sync).
So fuck overbridge - I am using analogue inputs of my interface and to be honest if you start automating in your sequencer using the plugin the whole point of the elektron sequencers is obsolete.

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

I used yo use OB for total recall. This featute saved your patch on the machine when you dave your ableton project. Then when you come back later and open your project in your daw OB opens the right patch that goes with it. Its magic.

yentz
site spammer

Post by yentz »

I have to say this really does make sense. Maybe I should start using it for this as well. The elektron patch saving ist rather uncomfortable (save programs/patches, setups etc)

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Kromasome wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:Bought myself the Akai MPC live which kinda pisses all over the Digitwat from a great height and then takes a dump just to make sure.
It is 200 jib more expensive though.....so probably not a fair comparison.
The MPC looks like a nice piece of kit. Let us know how you go once you've had a bit of a play.

So far it's awesome.
There are a few features that don't feel fully complete, but the system is still in public beta and they are listening to the community to consolidate what to do in what order.
The potential of this thing is pretty "wow" for me.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Kromasome
arsehole

Post by Kromasome »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Kromasome wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:Bought myself the Akai MPC live which kinda pisses all over the Digitwat from a great height and then takes a dump just to make sure.
It is 200 jib more expensive though.....so probably not a fair comparison.
The MPC looks like a nice piece of kit. Let us know how you go once you've had a bit of a play.

So far it's awesome.
There are a few features that don't feel fully complete, but the system is still in public beta and they are listening to the community to consolidate what to do in what order.
The potential of this thing is pretty "wow" for me.
Pretty big endorsement from someone who obviously knows what's what. Now I just have to hope I get a decent bonus from work this year, and more importantly, set some aside before the wife spends it all... and let's not even talk about my wishes for an A4 and/or Rytm....or DFAM.....or Sub37...... etc etc

Sorry for hijacking the Digitakt thread.

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Seems I'll have to report back soon enough, mine will be in the mail today 8-)

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Kromasome wrote:
Pretty big endorsement from someone who obviously knows what's what. Now I just have to hope I get a decent bonus from work this year, and more importantly, set some aside before the wife spends it all... and let's not even talk about my wishes for an A4 and/or Rytm....or DFAM.....or Sub37...... etc etc

Sorry for hijacking the Digitakt thread.
I'll probably start a new thread about it.
I think it is one of the most exciting releases this year, waaaay more interesting than the Digitwat, much more "future" and no one seems to have noticed it on here.
Everywhere else there is a huge buzz, akai returning to form with a genuine MPC.
It runs in legacy modes too, so you can replicate the sound character of old akais with it.
I'm playing with it today, working my way through the manual (which is fucking huge), and it's just so much fun. Effects and filters on anything you want, and they are going to implement vst's apparently (they will be specifically for the MPC line though to prevent comparability risks etc). As I discover more stuff it keeps putting smiles on my face, which is a good sign.
As a workstation setup I am seeing a lot of potential, with all the various sequencing options it makes composition quick but also quite fun and intuitive, even though the firmware is still beta. It's pretty easy to build a tune with this at the centre of your hardware doing the sequencing and sample duties.
I'll keep reporting back as I get deeper in, but yeah, this thing is really a lovely bit of kit, for someone who is meh about hardware, I'm pretty hard to please.
There are some issues I have, but I think they will be ironed out once the beta goes final.
New Shit

buffered
Freestyler

Post by buffered »

Great looking forward to updates on your experience with the MPC. Was interested in these on release. Wouldn't even mind just grabbing an old MPC to make beats on for a while.
Anyway how does it go compared to the OT? Do you feel some overlap or do they both hold their own? I get a feeling the MPC Live offers an easier/more visual arrangement editor.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

buffered wrote:Great looking forward to updates on your experience with the MPC. Was interested in these on release. Wouldn't even mind just grabbing an old MPC to make beats on for a while.
Anyway how does it go compared to the OT? Do you feel some overlap or do they both hold their own? I get a feeling the MPC Live offers an easier/more visual arrangement editor.

Lots of people have asked me this.
I have both, kept my live octa, sold the studio one....

I would say don`t compare them as they serve very different purposes.
The Octa has it`s strength as a sample mangling performance tool, it`s something for really creative sample manipulation, and it`s great for going on discovery/experimentation journey`s.
The MPC sampling is more conventional, of course you have stretching, and the visual interface for sample editing etc is beautiful and easy to use, but it doesn`t do the same things as the octa.
However you do get the amazing MPC pads, which are just awesome for playing your own beats in (amongst other uses), and you can obviously sequence via the grid mode, which is like your typical DAW piano roll, and also via the step sequencers (if you prefer that way) which are incredibly flexible. So you get up to 128 (stereo or mono) tracks of samples or whatever, plus 4 synced stereo audio tracks (these can be recorded too or just used to play long stereo files or whatever), +lots of internal effects, and each channel can have separate and different effects like a DAW. Then of course you can drive external midi instruments (and use grid or step to do so, with unrestricted chords, unlike the octa which is not really chord friendly).
Then of course if you plug it in to your computer it becomes a control surface for the MPC software, and can also run as a plugin within your DAW of choice.

Think of the MPC live as a DAW in a box, steered towards live performance. It`s more than a sampler, in the same way that ableton is.
So it is there to be the hub of your setup.
The octa you should really think of as a sampler on steroids, it does shit the mpc or any other sampler won`t, with all the fun of elektron sequencing (and stereo files). but as a hub it can be limited, unless you just use monosynths.....
New Shit

TechnoDude
pregnant

Post by TechnoDude »

So, this is an Octatrack without timestrech and crossfader?

I think I prefer the Digitatk with Overbridge and probability step sequencer.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

TechnoDude wrote:So, this is an Octatrack without timestrech and crossfader?

I think I prefer the Digitatk with Overbridge and probability step sequencer.
Digitwat? Not even close to an octatrack.
It's maybe half an octatrack . those features you mentioned. And all mono.
New Shit

TechnoDude
pregnant

Post by TechnoDude »

Is it possible to plock Midi CCs?

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Yeah, you can Plock and conditional trig program changes as well.

therottencircle
rescued

Post by therottencircle »

I have my digitakt now for a few days.. still don't know what i have to think about this. its great, its handy and super straight forward
it is definitely more clearer than the Octatrack for me..
maybe here are some users that have both?
is it worth it to send that little boy back and get the big brother? (Octatrack)?

i mean octatrack is complex af, but from the first look and 1264 videos i watched, it looks if it invites more to experiment and >actually< lets you more experiment ! .

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Get the Octa.
There are methods to get conditional trigs too if you look on YouTube.
I fail to see any worth in the digitwat at it's current price.
New Shit

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

It depends, if you want everything get octatrack. If you want instant fun, get digi.

You probably bought the DT thinking it was an OT. They are completely diffetent and stand om their own in various situations.

Though thinking you cant get experimental with the DT is nonsense.

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

I love mine to bits (L)

Monreal
You only live once

Post by Monreal »

collide
Smore