CInematic ambient

Post your work here - Ask for feedback or just show it off
celome
quasi-public
CInematic ambient

Post by celome »

Hi guys,

New piece of music. Thick cinematic sounds provided by distorted mellotron samples, I used also choirs in order to bring more lyricism. Drums are mainly single shots with light process (saturation, eq, slight comp.). Also used pro R on tracks, amazing plugin that is my go to reverb right now. Bass was built via a gate + arpeggio process (simple saw with control on a filter env.).

Have fun with this one ! :D :D :D

Cheers subsekt addicts !

Célome
Music factory : https://soundcloud.com/celomemusic

New release :

Prophet 5rev4 - Model D behringer - Elektron Model:Cycles - Live 11 - push 2 - apc 40 -krk 6 g3 - ultrasone pro 550 - Elektron analog four mk2 - MacBook Pro - Akai lpk - Moog Minitaur

Planar
subsekt
subsekt
Re: CInematic ambient

Post by Planar »

It's not really my kind of thing, so I can't really comment much on the track itself. But I think the kick could do with some attention with an EQ, maybe a bit of a cut around 200Hz ish to remove a bit of boxiness.

Aurongroove
pregnant

Post by Aurongroove »

This might come across horribly, but I don't like your drum pattern.
It doesn't have a groove to it.
It sounds like a half realized rhythm, that's not nice to move too.
You need to develop your understanding of down beats and up beats, and how jaunty grooves create tension and natural grooves release that tension. In this track you have a kick and snare pattern that is creating tension the whole time, and other elements trying to release that tension later on in the arrangement; in the closing section of the track the listener is almost trying to nod along to a hi hat while IGNORING the kick to try get some groove out of that section.

You could put everyone out of their misery in the entire first 2.20 minutes of the track by putting a snare strike on;
1 and 2 and 3 and 4 *and* 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 *and* in the first section, and occasionally, but less so in the second section, when you introduce a snare on the 2 and 4 naturally.

you can't have a jaunty groove all the way through a track, it just, doesn't make musical sense. Where ever else the kick strikes, make sure it's reinforcing the tracks rhythm, not undermining it, and use the snare as the counter "up beat".

I LOVE the sounds of your samples, they're a strange blend of raw and damaged
The bass is great, even though it's not that bassy.
Electro-pop artists would love to get their hands on that bass sounds.

The strings seem good, every thing seems good really, just work on your groove making.
I'm Hilarious

Some professional mastering engineers use multi-band compressors.

celome
quasi-public

Post by celome »

Thx for you comment, it helped me a lot re-building the backbone of the track.
More groove, less messy stuff...

New release :

Prophet 5rev4 - Model D behringer - Elektron Model:Cycles - Live 11 - push 2 - apc 40 -krk 6 g3 - ultrasone pro 550 - Elektron analog four mk2 - MacBook Pro - Akai lpk - Moog Minitaur

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

The bassline is too dry and takes up too much space in the front of the mix.

celome
quasi-public

Post by celome »

Understood dubdub 8-) .
I took into account your advice + aurongroove's one and I am quite happy with the new mixdown.
More balanced less stirring for ears, groove is there. I also kept musical elements that were relevant.
thks again

New release :

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

I think that there is a touch too much saturation on the higher ranges of the synths, they screech a little too much, but then again.

I also think that the woodblock could do with being a touch brighter with careful equing perhaps.

Other than that, I enjoyed it.

celome
quasi-public

Post by celome »

Hey guys, final update on this one.
Woodblock issue finally solved also changed hi hats ;)
See it really as a score for a drama scene :lol:

New release :

bioniceye
clueless

Post by bioniceye »

i think the bassline is too high in volume or too dry and a little bit harsch
i know its hard too create a drop with this kind of bassline
but the break is a little bit too abrupt for my taste
other than that great work

celome
quasi-public

Post by celome »

Thx for this last comment bioniceye.
I lastly did an update of the track following up some of your advice ! :)

New release :

Vilius J
broke

Post by Vilius J »

Everything would be good to me just try to make kick a little more distorted or crunchier or something. Needs that crash feel to it