dubdub - some more pseudo-progbreaks

Post your work here - Ask for feedback or just show it off
dubdub
Asphyxiwank
dubdub - some more pseudo-progbreaks

Post by dubdub »

Not sure if I went too far... this one is verging on being cheese, I think - but that's how I like it, lol :) reese bass, dub chords, arps, pads, hummed vocals.. gotta get everything in there!

There's a lot going on (compared to a lot of my tracks...) and I didn't really want to spend forever to carve out everything so the mix might be a bit too packed, could probably use a bit more space, no?

Root
BANNED
Re: dubdub - some more pseudo-progbreaks

Post by Root »

Nice one! This can be very good, maybe with just a few corrections. I'd say the lead elements, like chords and arpeggio are way too stereo. It's good to have a flying stereo sound, but there has to be a connection to the center. I like how it grows with all that clicky clacky sounds. Then, the leads lack connection to the bass, sound like they have a bit too much lowcut going on. The hihats could use a bit more crunchpunch, maybe bringing the volume up a little, a little!, will do it. And my last suggestion is to celebrate the break a bit more. You reach the first moment where one can have a little pause and then, to me, it starts a bit too fast again.
:geek:

tsaro
Lifer

Post by tsaro »

Nice groove you've got going here, it's just the right amount of cheese :lol:
I agree the arpy sound could use some more lower frequency content, but maybe not all the time.

Could use some different velocity on your hits. And maybe cut up a break and layer it underneath at some point. As the track progresses I also kind of expected it to transform into more of a rolling groove, moving the offbeat kick. So that could be something to consider.
how far do you want to go

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Thanks, good ideas guys!

I might have gone a bit too far with the HPF on the arps but I felt I already had enough going in the lower mids.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

dubdub wrote:

Not sure if I went too far... this one is verging on being cheese, I think - but that's how I like it, lol :) reese bass, dub chords, arps, pads, hummed vocals.. gotta get everything in there!

There's a lot going on (compared to a lot of my tracks...) and I didn't really want to spend forever to carve out everything so the mix might be a bit too packed, could probably use a bit more space, no?
damn man, that's a busy mix.
really nice groove, lovely sounds all over.

mix sounds pretty much ok here, but your elements could do with a little more definition here or there, maybe try a transient designer or otherwise look at the attack/decay phase of a few sounds. Nothing much though, just a little touch here or there.

Really nice track, but I would seriously rework the arrangement so that it's less busy. Less is more, and all that...
Doesn't mean you need to take out sounds completely, just not have them all play together at the same time for most of the track.
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Thanks, you are probably right, it's just that i'm VERY bad at holding back with my arrangements. There's always that nagging voice in the back of my head going "it's too boring, bring in more stuff!!!" every single time :lol:

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

man, I keep on adding stuff all the time as well,
but then I break my head over how I need to remove stuff because it otherwise just gets too busy.
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

celome
quasi-public

Post by celome »

Nice stufff dubdub ! quite original.
As written above i think the arp pattern is too loud... you may have cut too much in low mids so you had to compensate by increasing level.
Also, I am not disturbed by this "busy mix" thing.
Music factory : https://soundcloud.com/celomemusic

New release :

Prophet 5rev4 - Model D behringer - Elektron Model:Cycles - Live 11 - push 2 - apc 40 -krk 6 g3 - ultrasone pro 550 - Elektron analog four mk2 - MacBook Pro - Akai lpk - Moog Minitaur

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Thanks! yeah, I had to bring the arps up a bit. I don't think they sound too loud on headphones due to the panning but on speakers it's maybe a bit much.

Vilius J
broke

Post by Vilius J »

I'm allways up for that reese bass ! Is this breaks style you were trying to make ? Reminds me enjoy the silence remix