New members say hello...

General Chat // Music Discussion
Hades
Shit Eater
Re: New members say hello...

Post by Hades »

dcom wrote:
How do I locate a record with a specific track? I usually remember at least the label, narrowing the search space. Labels mostly have an identifying sound/genre signature, so this applies when I remember what the track sounds like. I have grouped records by label and clustered labels by top-level genre (techno, electro, IDM...) on the shelves, so if I remember only the music and it's techno, sometimes I have to do an exhaustive manual search of the techno shelves.

How do I choose records for a set (at a party)? Cherry-picking the ones I know well, then listening/playing through others, lather, rinse repeat. I always have from two to five times more records required for the slot's duration, allowing me to adapt the set's dramatic arc, mood and intensity if required. I almost never fixate on specific tracks when selecting material for a set; the process is more heuristic, guided by levity/intensity, simplicity/complexity, tension/release, flow/continuity... The only tracks I deliberately choose are the first and last ones, the void between them is filled dynamically in situ behind the decks.

Do I unintentionally acquire duplicates? Rarely, but yes.

If this didn't answer what you had in mind, please elaborate and I'll respond.
This most certainly answered my question, even more than my question, and I very much salute you for your eloquence, dear sir ! (always nice to meet another well educated mind)
Other than your eloquence, I'm always happy whenever I see a person not afraid to write a proper, lengthy reply.
(if you've looked around on subsekt long enough, you might know I'm not exactly a person of few words myself)

I have bought the same record twice before. It just happens when you buy that much, especially if you buy sooner than you can find the time to organize it all. I stopped buying records the last year or so (apart from the odd one here or there that I simply can't resist) because my finances weren't the best, and mainly because I'm still trying to find the time to get everything organized from the years that I went nuts.
dcom wrote: Burglaries are mostly crimes of opportunity and targeted operations to acquire a specific item are exceedingly rare. Nevertheless, from a risk assessment standpoint this is a valid concern, but the base level of physical security in Finland is very high, especially in urban areas. The probability and risk of fire in our apartment is much higher, as is the possibility of me getting run over by a car. I also have some extra security measures in place.
well, any burglar here could easily get more money from my studio than my record collection (it's a 3 to 1 ratio if I make a wild guess) but that would mean they'd have to be able to disconnect all the cables, carry all the heavy shit outside, and then sell the rare shit (with serial numbers registered) somewhere where it doesn't get noticed.
I think it's a lot harder to sell my gear than some of my records.
dcom wrote:
Hades wrote:you can really tell you had a classical training when you listen to your tracks btw,
lovely work on your melodies.
Thank you.

Cheers, Nuutti.
I come from the same background. ;)
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

so I've externalized it to Discogs.
You mean you have made notes on every record you have into discogs ?
That's what I'm doing as well, next to putting labels on my records (or better : the protection sleeves) so I know from both discogs and my record sleeves what to expect.
The short descriptions Hard Wax usually uses to describe their records was a big help in labeling them.

But even with all that, I still find it difficult to remember most tracks, especially since we love (mainly) electronic music and track titles or artist names can be pretty anonymous to remember.
I suppose you have to really take out several hours a week to organize and memorize it all,
but I currently don't have the time, and I find myself lacking enough space in my brain to keep enough track of it all.
I guess it's not helpful that I'm also a big reader and a huge filmfreak, so that another big part of my memory is occupied with storing that data.

In what year were you in Ibiza ? You mentioned new beat, and since I'm from Belgium and old enough, I do remember that era, but I never knew this even got to Ibiza at some point.

dcom
Poo Fingers

Post by dcom »

Hades wrote:You mean you have made notes on every record you have into discogs ?
No, I don't. If there's immutable, quantitative data like the number of a numbered release, I add the number in a comment. If an artist signs a record, I not the time and place where it was signed. Qualitative comments are not immutable, so I find no value in writing them down.
Hades wrote:But even with all that, I still find it difficult to remember most tracks, especially since we love (mainly) electronic music and track titles or artist names can be pretty anonymous to remember.
I used to remenber my favourite labels' releases and recite them from memory in catalog code order. I was giddy with delight when I understood the semantics of catalog codes, how they encode identity, chronology, continuity and other bits of useful information, physically engraved in the silent space between the runout grooves. Need to recommend a white label record to a friend? It's on label X, catalog code N, first track on side A. Are there any digital white label releases on Discogs?
Hades wrote:I guess it's not helpful that I'm also a big reader and a huge filmfreak, so that another big part of my memory is occupied with storing that data.
Et tu, Brute?
Hades wrote:In what year were you in Ibiza ? You mentioned new beat, and since I'm from Belgium and old enough, I do remember that era, but I never knew this even got to Ibiza at some point.
1989. I was 14 and back then I didn't even know what to call the music I heard there, but the experience was irreversibly transformative. I was already into electronic music, having found Kraftwerk, Jarre, Isao Tomita and the likes several years earlier, but dance music was defined primarily by MTV (and its predecessors like Music Box) and local no-license underage clubs I frequented, a potpourri of various genres of popular music. I bought some mixtapes, brought them home and proceeded to annihilate them by listening to them over, and over, and over until they gave up the ghost; during that phase I started to notice that both MTV and the club DJs would occasionally drop tracks that sounded like the ones I had heard in Ibiza and on the mixtapes. 808 State's Cubik, Stakker Humanoid, Confetti's The Sound of C, Pump Up The Volume by M.A.R.R.S. among others. MTV's Party Zone was manna from heaven and I recorded the shows on VHS and created my own compilations using two VCRs and bit by bit learned genres, artists and tracks, harassed the club DJs by requesting obscure tracks by name and asking for track IDs - I was a bloody nuisance - and then one of the DJs gave me the last piece of the puzzle. He told me to go to a local record store (the largest) and find a section labeled "12"/maxi/EP dance imports", and that became the point of no return: a wall of records in white sleeves, with white labels, some blank, some with stamped or hand-written information, some in printed sleeves - and a turntable with headphones for listening.

Cheers, Nuutti.
Technostructuralist.SoundCloudDiscogs

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

dcom wrote: Et tu, Brute?
That's Shakespeare's version.
The Latin version, according to the history books is "tu quoque, Brute fili mi!"
or according to Suetonius : "καὶ σὺ τέκνον;"
but you'll have to excuse me for being anal here ;)

If you want to share, I'd love to hear some of your record tips. No doubt someone with your collection (and DJ hours) must have some hidden gems to recommend to others.
dcom wrote:
1989. I was 14 and back then I didn't even know what to call the music I heard there, but the experience was irreversibly transformative. I was already into electronic music, having found Kraftwerk, Jarre, Isao Tomita and the likes several years earlier, but dance music was defined primarily by MTV (and its predecessors like Music Box) and local no-license underage clubs I frequented, a potpourri of various genres of popular music. I bought some mixtapes, brought them home and proceeded to annihilate them by listening to them over, and over, and over until they gave up the ghost; during that phase I started to notice that both MTV and the club DJs would occasionally drop tracks that sounded like the ones I had heard in Ibiza and on the mixtapes. 808 State's Cubik, Stakker Humanoid, Confetti's The Sound of C, Pump Up The Volume by M.A.R.R.S. among others.
hah, the Confetti's, not too many fond memories of that stuff, tbh.
As a Belgian, I'm a lot more proud of Front 242 for example...
but yeah, I used to play with my lego's while listening to a tape of Jarre's Oxygène and Equinox though... :)

arkos

Post by arkos »

Hello all, I've been on this forum for I think almost 3 years now and I never introduced myself and for that I apologize.

(I've actually only been to this side of the forum once before to check out the summer meet thread, (grow the fuck up guy's!) :D

My name is Oskar, 36 year old from Iceland. My motto is be nice, to everybody. Until they screw you then of course bash their brains in.

I have been producing on and off since '99. I started earlier with trackers at around 8 or 9 years old but I had no idea how to use them so I never really learned anything.

Anyway my life has been fucked the last few years for reasons I'm not going into here but what has kept me going has been making Techno.

I've been doing basically nothing else since new years eve 2014.
I promised myself that night that I was going to make a lot of music and I have stood by it,
man do I remember how fucking shit that tune was that new years eve.

And probably the next 200-300 loops/songs I made, utter shite. But I kept going even though it was tough at times but I just thought of it as going to the gym, practice.(I fkn hate gyms)

Now probably 700-800 16 bar loops later I'm at a point where I'm getting satisfied with my music.(well most of the time anyways)
I just kept making 16 bar loops until I came up with something I liked and then I'd try stretching that loop into a song.

Last year I had my debut release on a German label and soon two more of my tracks will be released, this time a newly formed Australian label.

This has been my dream since I was a kid and it's finally within grasp, I first got "signed" when I was 18 with a Drum and Bass label in Manchester but I fucked that up by going home for Christmas and not keeping in touch nor going back to the UK. Somewhere along the line I had lost sight of my lifelong dream....Wish I could go back and bitch slap the 18 year old me and say "Wtf u doing?!" :D

Anyway I just wanted to say thank you all for the great advice/feedback/insults that you receive here and remember, never ever give up on your dreams and don't let anyone stop you in doing what you love.

Have a great day people.

SFBM
&roid

Post by SFBM »

arkos wrote:Hello all, I've been on this forum for I think almost 3 years now and I never introduced myself and for that I apologize.

(I've actually only been to this side of the forum once before to check out the summer meet thread, (grow the fuck up guy's!) :D

My name is Oskar, 36 year old from Iceland. My motto is be nice, to everybody. Until they screw you then of course bash their brains in.

I have been producing on and off since '99. I started earlier with trackers at around 8 or 9 years old but I had no idea how to use them so I never really learned anything.

Anyway my life has been fucked the last few years for reasons I'm not going into here but what has kept me going has been making Techno.

I've been doing basically nothing else since new years eve 2014.
I promised myself that night that I was going to make a lot of music and I have stood by it,
man do I remember how fucking shit that tune was that new years eve.

And probably the next 200-300 loops/songs I made, utter shite. But I kept going even though it was tough at times but I just thought of it as going to the gym, practice.(I fkn hate gyms)

Now probably 700-800 16 bar loops later I'm at a point where I'm getting satisfied with my music.(well most of the time anyways)
I just kept making 16 bar loops until I came up with something I liked and then I'd try stretching that loop into a song.

Last year I had my debut release on a German label and soon two more of my tracks will be released, this time a newly formed Australian label.

This has been my dream since I was a kid and it's finally within grasp, I first got "signed" when I was 18 with a Drum and Bass label in Manchester but I fucked that up by going home for Christmas and not keeping in touch nor going back to the UK. Somewhere along the line I had lost sight of my lifelong dream....Wish I could go back and bitch slap the 18 year old me and say "Wtf u doing?!" :D

Anyway I just wanted to say thank you all for the great advice/feedback/insults that you receive here and remember, never ever give up on your dreams and don't let anyone stop you in doing what you love.

Have a great day people.
Welcome to the forum, mate :). Link to your debut release? Keen to hear!

phredd
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by phredd »

Hi there!!

My name is Freddy, im from Cologne, Germany and i'm producing electronic music (nowerdays mainly techno) for like 7 years now. I started with DJing with 14 years on a little DJ School. So it was fast, i went to the first partys illegaly, because i was to young, but i was lucky to look like i was older.
(Sorry for my bad english...)

I made an education to work as an event-technician, so i do mainly livemixing and setting stages up for living.

Hopefully, i can find some nice discussions and can get and give some advices and skills, to keep gaining quality level and inspiration in music productions!

If there are any questions yet, please ask! =))

Greetz,
Freddy! :-*
Peace & Party! and share skills!

TimBuys
happy bastard

Post by TimBuys »

phredd wrote:Hi there!!

My name is Freddy, im from Cologne, Germany and i'm producing electronic music (nowerdays mainly techno) for like 7 years now. I started with DJing with 14 years on a little DJ School. So it was fast, i went to the first partys illegaly, because i was to young, but i was lucky to look like i was older.

I made an education to work as an event-technician, so i do mainly livemixing and setting stages up for living.

Hopefully, i can find some nice discussions and can get and give some advices and skills, to keep gaining quality level and inspiration in music productions!

Greetz,
Welcome to the forum Freddy, nice to have you 8-)

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

phredd wrote:Hi there!!

Greetz,
1. don't apologize for your bad English
2. just learn better English ! (hopefully through communicating on subsekt)
;) ;)

Köln has always been one of my favorite cities in Germany.
My father in law lives there, and I've visited the place many times over the years.

If anything, you're right next to the nicest, biggest music store (literally) in all of EU. :)
(fucking hell, their new building is huuuuuuggge :shock: )

Anyways, welcome to subsekt !
Just checked out your music, quite liked your "Run High" track, powerful chord driven techno !

phredd
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by phredd »

Hades wrote:
phredd wrote: 1. don't apologize for your bad English
2. just learn better English ! (hopefully through communicating on subsekt)
;) ;)

Köln has always been one of my favorite cities in Germany.
My father in law lives there, and I've visited the place many times over the years.

If anything, you're right next to the nicest, biggest music store (literally) in all of EU. :)
(fucking hell, their new building is huuuuuuggge :shock: )

Anyways, welcome to subsekt !
Just checked out your music, quite liked your "Run High" track, powerful chord driven techno !

Nice to be welcome! =)

yeahh, i like my city as well! If you like Techno, you should check out the "Odonien". It's such a nice location with so many details! It looks great and the PA and music is wonderfull! :!:
The music store is greaaat! i worked there for a short time in the recordingsection! I still love to go there and just play with the Synths and Drummachines! You can try everything, that you ever wanted to try!! Moogs, Modulars .... <3 I just bought a Minibrute there 2 weeks ago.

I'm glad you like the track! There is coming much content in the near future! 1 Release (2 Tracks) on PNA Records and i have some tracks, which im searching a label for in the moment =)

Just checked your music! I like it! Verryyy soulfull!! =) You like Stimming?
Peace & Party! and share skills!

kostas
Opposite

Post by kostas »

hello subsekt,
I first stumble upon your ''tip bank'' for music production as I have registered in my mind throughout the years, back in 2013 when i first made an attempt to register... well i never got an e mail confirming my singing so I kept coming back as a guest. I myself have been a forum admin and I can understand that things can get a bit messy))
I am well... Kostas, 35 years old , I am from Crete island, Greece.
The last five or so years I have build a small hole where I m spending tons of my time experimenting on making sounds. I remember myself back in the 90s when i was eager to learn the rope of how to make techno but in the absence of the internet of course I had no luck. Thats the downside of living away of a big industrial center back then. Fast Forward to 2012 I suddenly realised that there was no excuse anymore not to learn how on earth this art can be your craft too.
Meanwhile I had already developed the 'habit' of working 50 to 70 hours per week and amongst other 'unproductive' habits I struggle to bring my tracks on a decent quality level.
I have to admit that tips from this forum help me a lot, as inside subsekt' s posts you can find very experienced guys talking for their art. I remember when I first made the connection between Mattias in subsekt and Mattias on my track playlists! But it was only after I met in person with ppl that producing 20 years, visiting them on their workspace that i really start to see what I m doing wrong or what I m not doing at all..
So, I m not going to tell you that I m into this kind of techno or that sub genre of music, I tend to focus on the moment. It s all about the moments after all.
Hopefully between my deeps and highs I ll manage to keep in touch with you all, and finally get to speak to ppl like me, that may appear aloof on social activities because that f*&^% sound doesn t sit right in the mix!
''We all have the equal amount of now. Got it? ... now go and make some good techno.''

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

kostas wrote:hello subsekt,
I first stumble upon your ''tip bank'' for music production as I have registered in my mind throughout the years, back in 2013 when i first made an attempt to register... well i never got an e mail confirming my singing so I kept coming back as a guest. I myself have been a forum admin and I can understand that things can get a bit messy))
The last five or so years I have build a small hole where I m spending tons of my time experimenting on making sounds. I remember myself back in the 90s when i was eager to learn the rope of how to make techno but in the absence of the internet of course I had no luck. Thats the downside of living away of a big industrial center back then. Fast Forward to 2012 I suddenly realised that there was no excuse anymore not to learn how on earth this art can be your craft too.
Meanwhile I had already developed the 'habit' of working 50 to 70 hours per week and amongst other 'unproductive' habits I struggle to bring my tracks on a decent quality level.
I have to admit that tips from this forum help me a lot, as inside subsekt' s posts you can find very experienced guys talking for their art. I remember when I first made the connection between Mattias in subsekt and Mattias on my track playlists! But it was only after I met in person with ppl that producing 20 years, visiting them on their workspace that i really start to see what I m doing wrong or what I m not doing at all..
So, I m not going to tell you that I m into this kind of techno or that sub genre of music, I tend to focus on the moment. It s all about the moments after all.
Hopefully between my deeps and highs I ll manage to keep in touch with you all, and finally get to speak to ppl like me, that may appear aloof on social activities because that f*&^% sound doesn t sit right in the mix!
ah, starting in the 90's sucked : no internet to help you out, and a bad moment for gear as well,
with all the digital shit being hyped as fuck but no DAW yet...
tried it as well for a few years, but only made total shit music.

Where are you from in Crète ?
I'm heading to Agia Galini on the 17th of july for 12 days.
I've already been there many times and totally fell in love with the small town.
I love the Greek, I consider them some of the nicest people I know.

Obviously I'm just there for holiday with the mrs and my kids, but if it's in any way possible, maybe we can get together and have a few drinks or something.
I try to stay away from music production when I'm on holiday, but nonetheless I always take my spare laptop with me and eventually always spend at least a few hours for a day or 2 making music.

Any links to your music ?
Don't be ashamed of the quality.
It took me years to get anywhere decent.

kostas
Opposite

Post by kostas »

Hades wrote:
kostas wrote:hello subsekt,
ah, starting in the 90's sucked : no internet to help you out, and a bad moment for gear as well,
with all the digital shit being hyped as fuck but no DAW yet...
tried it as well for a few years, but only made total shit music.

Where are you from in Crète ?
I'm heading to Agia Galini on the 17th of july for 12 days.
I've already been there many times and totally fell in love with the small town.
I love the Greek, I consider them some of the nicest people I know.

Obviously I'm just there for holiday with the mrs and my kids, but if it's in any way possible, maybe we can get together and have a few drinks or something.
I try to stay away from music production when I'm on holiday, but nonetheless I always take my spare laptop with me and eventually always spend at least a few hours for a day or 2 making music.

Any links to your music ?
Don't be ashamed of the quality.
It took me years to get anywhere decent.
that s great ! I live in Herakleion not far from where you re going to be and of course we can arrange to meet for a couple of drinks, I m always glad to share opinions and experience, word of advice here the temperature climbed at 40 C at no time so be prepared!!

I didnt post any link because I read somewhere that at least I have to take you on a dinner first! :D
don t want to break any rules
here you go
https://soundcloud.com/kosh-mason/once-again/s-qpe83
''We all have the equal amount of now. Got it? ... now go and make some good techno.''

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

kostas wrote: that s great ! I live in Herakleion not far from where you re going to be and of course we can arrange to meet for a couple of drinks, I m always glad to share opinions and experience, word of advice here the temperature climbed at 40 C at no time so be prepared!!

I didnt post any link because I read somewhere that at least I have to take you on a dinner first! :D
don t want to break any rules
here you go
https://soundcloud.com/kosh-mason/once-again/s-qpe83
I don't think you can already send a PM unless you're past a minimum of 15 posts or something,
it's a rule that we put in here to avoid possible spammers.
I'll send you a PM with my email, see if that works.

you always have to pay me dinner,
it's probably cheaper than if you pay me beers for a whole evening :lol:
just kidding, not even sure where you read this.
we're only asking folks not to post their music in the members tracks immediately nor posting clips of their tracks in that topic unless they started giving some feedback first.
we're always glad to check out other people's music.
just put a link in your sig, that way people can always check out your music if they want to.

isoled
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by isoled »

Hello Im Bryce !

See Ya !

mathias
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by mathias »

Hello guys!!
Its my second post here and its a pleasure to be here and found that many information whitout any costs at all.
My name is Mathias and i live in Brazil, I've been producing and DJing since 2009 and learning a lot everyday.
The techno scene was pretty weak here before 2010, and got into some serious uplifting, nowadays we have many parties and clubs playing real techno and bringing some nice artists, next month im going to see Pfirter and Lewis Fautzi at Tantsa (Party), and also Reeko at D-edge (Club)...
Again thanks to everyone that make that forum happen.

[Ø]
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by [Ø] »

hello

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

hello prospect cunts !
welcome to subsekt.
any links to any of your music ?

arkos

Post by arkos »

Hello new guy's welcome to the party :)

tobias50679
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by tobias50679 »

Hey guys,

Tobi, 28,passionate hobby producer from beautiful cologne here :).

I do produce trippy dubby stuff with 4/4 kicks and lots of tss takk tsss for almost a year and a half now. Always try to focus on the musical and atmospherical aspects than the dance part of techno. Dont get me wrong, I live and love raves and the hypnosis of proper dance music. No but...
So lately I feel more and more happy about the shit I produce and am now thinking about doin a 3-4 track ep. When I realized that arranging a track is one thing but good mixing and finishing a completely other thing.
The reason I came here.
Found this nice place like 2-3 weeks ago when browsing for techno production tips.
So thx everyone for sharing so much good information ,- hope i can give back at some point.

Cheers

Tobi