This sold me on Bitwig

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
rktic
Utter Cunt
This sold me on Bitwig

Post by rktic »

I recently made a track in Ableton with a ton of complex and precise automation. Which was a pain. Ended up watching this video review of Bitwig which made me try the demo:

youtu.be/oGmnfntSgd8

Can't wait to make the switch.

Alume
Confetti
Re: This sold me on Bitwig

Post by Alume »

Interesting, never considered an other daw. Can see you if can change everthing dramatically for the better inspiration wise.

Belka
Wastedddd

Post by Belka »

Using Bitwig now for over 2 Years and beeing absolutly happy. Never considered any Problem, Bug or Crash. Its an absolute great workflow and in my oppinion the best looking DAW (i really dont like Ableton). Even the Ableton Stock Plug Ins which are almost praised by a lot of people (iam jealous for the Glue and EQ8) are not my taste and i prefer the ones from Bitwig (Operator and Analog are so fiddly).

rktic
Utter Cunt

Post by rktic »

Hi Belka,

are you missing anything?

Stace
Classical Approach

Post by Stace »

I have just started using it. I keep on forgetting and going back to Ableton though *head desk*

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

If I was wanting more from my DAW I would maybe try it out, but I`m really super happy at the mo.

And also, there`s something really yucky about that interface, there`s a sort of cubase-ey overly busy ugliness to it that really makes my eyes freak out.
It looks like it has great features but it`s like they took ableton and force it to have sex with cubase. And, well, cubase is like an old dried white dog shit you see on a sidewalk... it`s there, you can see it`s there, everyone can see it`s there, but no one really wants to deal with it and so it has sat on the sidewalk and turned white.

Saying that, if I were to make the leap, it would be to Bitwig.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Better modulation and automation would be nice but it's not enough to make me switch DAWs.

Belka
Wastedddd

Post by Belka »

rktic wrote:Hi Belka,

are you missing anything?
One Click Freezing is the only thing what comes to my mind, but u can easily work around that (bounce it and deactivate the Plugs in the Channel)
There are a lot of Videos out about producing entire tracks with Bitwig, at the start i liked the Vids by Sadowick (some are uncommented, only building)
e.g. (maybe you need to skip to the STart, got weird time stamp shit here)
youtu.be/DUayvRMflAs

Shows alot about workflow, visibility etc

@Void
Yeah thats sums it up pretty well but I also think Cubase got the 2nd best Layout in teh WOrLdz ^^ Ableton is so damn ugly, those Automation Lines (all a matter of taste)

I came from Reason 4, was trying to change to Cubase but 600 Euros was too much for a Trainee. I was close to just screw the shit and order a cracked Ableton Version from the Underground Dealerz (like 80% of the Boys out there) but then my Girl gave me a voucher for Thomann, same moment Bitwig droped the Price... Starter Blabla Discount, i demoed it and watched as many Tuts as possible, got my Bitwig Copy for 150 or 200 Euros. I train some friends and jam around with them, always on their ableton stations. So many hate moments. When it comes down to MAC and Ableton i get totally lost, always Swastika in my Eyes. So i spent several hours in Ableton but i never regret to pick Bitwig!

Edit: To be clear iam still on Version 1.3.15, do not have the 2.0 yet what have a lot more to offer!

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

You are of course completely wrong.
Cubase is an old peoples home where the residents have been there so long they no longer notice the stench of death, marmite and antiseptic cleaning fluid.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Opnå
non reader

Post by Opnå »

I've been curious about Bitwig as well. However, I'm 100% sure that any creative limitations I'm currently experiencing have nothing to do with the software I'm using and actually rest with me.

I've changed DAW multiple times (and dabbled with loads) and I think to take time out to learn another one would just be a form of procrastination. The only difference for me is traditional Cubase / Logic style or something more beat loop focused like Ableton Live, FL studio. That seems to have an impact on how I make music but the rest I find is so minor it doesn't have much of a bearing.

xonetacular
Gnasher

Post by xonetacular »

I bought a secondhand license to try and sold it the other day for a couple minor inconveniences that really drove me crazy.

My biggest annoyance was that in ableton when you are selecting an external input for a track and pull up the list the dropdown has little mini meters that light up and make it easy to see what's active. I had an aggregate device with like 40 inputs where it can get confusing what's connected to what and what that corresponds to on the aggregate device and bitwig doesn't have those little meters in the list making it a ton of annoying guesswork or troubleshooting figuring out where the problem was where I wasn't getting the signal I want.

also on that note in the preference menu when setting the interface io matrix up I had so many inputs and outputs it didn't fit in the view and often scrolling wouldn't work and I couldn't navigate around the preference menu- it would just get stuck.

I had some other issues with audio and midi routing that would have been really simple in ableton but sometimes just didn't work right in bitwig

akirawithv
fake

Post by akirawithv »

I'm about to change from logic to bitwig, this post helped me to make up my mind, thanks!!
Diving into the black hole...

HowieRis
quasi-public

Post by HowieRis »

akirawithv wrote:I'm about to change from logic to bitwig, this post helped me to make up my mind, thanks!!
What are your main reasons for making the switch if you don't mind me asking?

I went for Logic over Ableton when I had the urge to make music again a year and a half ago, almost purely on price - the full Ableton package is clearly the "industry standard" for electronic music but we're talking $700-$800 vs $150.

I looked into Bitwig recently and it got me thinking that maybe it's a cheaper way to finally get a more Abletonish workflow but I've really gelled with Logic at this point, I daren't say I know it "inside out" yet but over the past six months I've been finishing tracks very easily and I've not felt that anything DAW related is holding me back creatively. I'm worried that turning my back on the linear nature of Logic might chuck me back into loop-land but when I look at BW videos it does seem fresh and appealing somehow.

Merah
arsehole

Post by Merah »

I used a crack of Bitwig extensively but have always gravitated back to Live. Main reason being Bitwig was buggy as hell, or just awkwardly fiddly at times.. Ableton way more stable but Bitwig se very cool features, too many imo, nothing beats simplicity !
Creativity is not a technique, it is a way of life.

akirawithv
fake

Post by akirawithv »

HowieRis wrote:
akirawithv wrote:I'm about to change from logic to bitwig, this post helped me to make up my mind, thanks!!
What are your main reasons for making the switch if you don't mind me asking?

I went for Logic over Ableton when I had the urge to make music again a year and a half ago, almost purely on price - the full Ableton package is clearly the "industry standard" for electronic music but we're talking $700-$800 vs $150.

I looked into Bitwig recently and it got me thinking that maybe it's a cheaper way to finally get a more Abletonish workflow but I've really gelled with Logic at this point, I daren't say I know it "inside out" yet but over the past six months I've been finishing tracks very easily and I've not felt that anything DAW related is holding me back creatively. I'm worried that turning my back on the linear nature of Logic might chuck me back into loop-land but when I look at BW videos it does seem fresh and appealing somehow.
Hey!

First of all, workflow! I've been using logic since I started producing and I got to a point now where I think the timeline is killing my creativity, as if my songs are to much 'brainy'. I wanna feel the experience of creating music as if I'm using a guitar. The sampler and sample workflow got my attention on bitwig as well. I just can't use Ableton because it's too ugly...hahahahah really, I couldn't spend my day looking at that...

This is gonna be a test of course, I'll share my experience here in a few months!
Diving into the black hole...

Oktagon
Chernobyl

Post by Oktagon »

There are a few things in Bitwig that seem appealing like the universal modulation system but AFAIK it's lacking an equivalent for Push and for Max for Live, both of which are key for me in extending how you interact with Live. I've never had a problem with the Live interface/skin, I love that it supports UI scaling and that it is minimal and gets out of the way.

Markus Wolf
reverse genius

Post by Markus Wolf »

Ableton should just try to incorporate some of Bitwigs Ideas and just put them to sleep...I dont see many people moving over. Im happy with Ableton.

HowieRis
quasi-public

Post by HowieRis »

akirawithv wrote:
This is gonna be a test of course, I'll share my experience here in a few months!
Please do!

timc3
Back Bling

Post by timc3 »

Really looking forward to BitWig 2.4 and the new devices.

https://www.bitwig.com/en/18/bitwig-studio-2_4

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

That name alone makes me laugh so hard. Bitwig ????
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths