What headphones would you buy for £100-200ish ?

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Plyphon
endless
Re: What headphones would you buy for £100-200ish ?

Post by Plyphon »

jordwyatt wrote:
Plyphon wrote:Bit annoyed - mine have a rattle :(

im sure its mechanical and not a freq I just didnt hear before as if i turn up the volume slowly when it starts its louder than the output of the audio
Were the AKG702's from Amazon by any chance? Got some for xmas and had a rattle in the right driver at around 20-30hz, sounds similar to your issues.

Apparently they're out of stock until February now too.... Great.
Yeah, from Amazon.

Did they come with the plastic film protectors on? if not, you might of gotten the ones I returned :lol:

Sounds like there are some quality issues coming from their new factory in China. That might also be why they're out of stock if they've had a number of returns with QC issues.

WOLF!
Grand

Post by WOLF! »

Ordered the AKG 701 to replace my old HD270. I'm very curious about the sound; it should arrive this week.

jordwyatt
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by jordwyatt »

Plyphon wrote:
jordwyatt wrote:
Plyphon wrote:Bit annoyed - mine have a rattle :(

im sure its mechanical and not a freq I just didnt hear before as if i turn up the volume slowly when it starts its louder than the output of the audio
Were the AKG702's from Amazon by any chance? Got some for xmas and had a rattle in the right driver at around 20-30hz, sounds similar to your issues.

Apparently they're out of stock until February now too.... Great.
Yeah, from Amazon.

Did they come with the plastic film protectors on? if not, you might of gotten the ones I returned :lol:

Sounds like there are some quality issues coming from their new factory in China. That might also be why they're out of stock if they've had a number of returns with QC issues.
hahaha yeah man they had the plastic protectors on still. How're your new ones? They sounded great but for that money I wasn't going to let it slip, can't wait for the replacements.... hopefully no issues.

jordwyatt
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by jordwyatt »

By the way AKG702 users what are you driving them with? I was planning to use my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 but apparently this may not suffice... I've never got into headphone amps so I'm unsure what direction to take or where to begin!

Thanks

paclos
Opposite

Post by paclos »

jordwyatt wrote:By the way AKG702 users what are you driving them with? I was planning to use my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 but apparently this may not suffice... I've never got into headphone amps so I'm unsure what direction to take or where to begin!

Thanks
I´m happy with AMP HeadBox S

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Yeah I use project headbox s
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

jordwyatt
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by jordwyatt »

paclos wrote:
jordwyatt wrote:By the way AKG702 users what are you driving them with? I was planning to use my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 but apparently this may not suffice... I've never got into headphone amps so I'm unsure what direction to take or where to begin!

Thanks
I´m happy with AMP HeadBox S
Just read the previous pages of the thread, apologies.

When I eventually receive my replacement (please dont be Feb....) will look into buying. Cheers!

Plyphon
endless

Post by Plyphon »

I have a Focusrite 2i2 and it does drive them - whether its to their best performance I can't comment as I've nothing to compare to - but they do sound good. Loudness is okay for home/quiet studio usage, but not much headroom left on the dial.

The Porject Headbox's look good but require (for myself) to get an additional bunch of cables to marry it to my 2i2 and to enable the passthrough to my monitors. As such, i'm looking at an FiiO Olympus E10K which is a USB DAC/AMP, it gets great praise on /r/headphones etc.

jordwyatt
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by jordwyatt »

Plyphon wrote:I have a Focusrite 2i2 and it does drive them - whether its to their best performance I can't comment as I've nothing to compare to - but they do sound good. Loudness is okay for home/quiet studio usage, but not much headroom left on the dial.

The Porject Headbox's look good but require (for myself) to get an additional bunch of cables to marry it to my 2i2 and to enable the passthrough to my monitors. As such, i'm looking at an FiiO Olympus E10K which is a USB DAC/AMP, it gets great praise on /r/headphones etc.
Got my replacements, seem fine as far as I can tell. With bassy elements it sounds like there is a slight right pan but I'm pretty sure my left ear is a little damaged / blocked due to a cold and it's not the cans themselves. As for the output, may have to look into amp. The 2i2 I basically have to max out the headphone gain, and when I get to the upper limits it starts to distort the sound too... news to me! Don't think its the cans as I cross referenced with my HD25's and 2i2 does the same thing.

Producing with these will take some getting use to though!

Plyphon
endless

Post by Plyphon »

Oh really - thats odd - my 2i2 I usually keep between 1/2 and 3/4 and it seems to be loud enough. I do live in a quiet apartment though, if anyone else was in the room they probably would require an amp.

Regarding mixing, i've made a few tracks with them and the end result is night and day - they're the most translatable mixes I've ever done. Like the tracks actually sound GOOD on monitors, ear buds, other headphones without needing that "I've made this on headphones" tweaking that cans usually require.

Happy!

parents
Opposite

Post by parents »

msl wrote:
I would like to the try the Focal Pros everyone raves about them... but I'm happy for now.

Damn those Focal shit! I would so much love to try them!

jordwyatt
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by jordwyatt »

Lost to the Void wrote:Yeah I use project headbox s
Do you just go from the 2i2 headphone out jack split into the input on the headbox? Or do you run the main output of the 2i2 into the input on the headbox.

Would this suffice for driving the 702's otherwise? I dont plan on using my Monitors and headphones at same time due to living arrangements https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kilimanjaro-Po ... =Fiio+e10k

I did try to find a E10k but seems to be unavailable in U.K. at the moment. Would you just say go with the headbox? It's just the price and I've never owned an amp before but the 2i2 really isn't cutting it.

Cheers

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

parents wrote:
msl wrote:
I would like to the try the Focal Pros everyone raves about them... but I'm happy for now.

Damn those Focal shit! I would so much love to try them!
Tried to love them but no chance. Whatever I did with them, stuff I made with the DT 990's was better.
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths

WOLF!
Grand

Post by WOLF! »

Found a recent review about headphones. The cans that are often talked about in this topic are also reviewed:
http://www.rtings.com/headphones/review ... -listening

paclos
Opposite

Post by paclos »

WOLF! wrote:Found a recent review about headphones. The cans that are often talked about in this topic are also reviewed:
701 and 702 are not the same? :?

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

jordwyatt wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:Yeah I use project headbox s
Do you just go from the 2i2 headphone out jack split into the input on the headbox? Or do you run the main output of the 2i2 into the input on the headbox.

Would this suffice for driving the 702's otherwise? I dont plan on using my Monitors and headphones at same time due to living arrangements https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kilimanjaro-Po ... =Fiio+e10k

I did try to find a E10k but seems to be unavailable in U.K. at the moment. Would you just say go with the headbox? It's just the price and I've never owned an amp before but the 2i2 really isn't cutting it.

Cheers
Well I don't have 2i2 but the headbox s has a loop, so you run the monitor outputs on the back of the 2i2 in to the headbox, then the loop outs of the headbox go to your monitors. It keeps the signal path intact so you can still use your monitors.
New Shit

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

paclos wrote:
WOLF! wrote:Found a recent review about headphones. The cans that are often talked about in this topic are also reviewed:
701 and 702 are not the same? :?
Exactly the same apart from cosmetic differences and detachable cables.
I have the 701s
New Shit

PERIAL
Chernobyl

Post by PERIAL »

Plyphon
endless

Post by Plyphon »

Massdrop though - don't they use lesser components to reach the price point massdrop wants to sell at?

PERIAL
Chernobyl

Post by PERIAL »

packaging might be cheaper but the headphones should be same, just in different colour