Will Frances - Castello

Post your work here - Ask for feedback or just show it off
Will Frances
Gnasher
Will Frances - Castello

Post by Will Frances »

Hi ya'll I held this one back for a couple of months or so, wasnt sure about it, would be nice to see peoples thoughts, I used alot of organic sounds in this.

Thanks!

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt
Re: Will Frances - Castello

Post by jordanneke »

The kick needs a bit more definition, perhaps a little less sustain (or dare I say more compression), and perhaps a bit more decay

When the bass kicks in, I really like it. With a few tweaks the low end could be magic.

My problem is that it has no hook, and it really doen't get going until 4.14. I see that you are going for a Captain Ketamine style track, but I think that's a very difficult thing to pull off. It's almost crying out for some house stab or something to 'complete' it.

The low end is (almost) great, but for me there's not enough to carry the rest of the track.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

I agree, it sounds nice but there needs to be some kind of hook.

bioniceye
clueless

Post by bioniceye »

some very nice sounds in this one
but you need to work on that kick especially in the intro
for the dancefloor it doesnt need a hook, at home it sounds a little bit empty but i think it will work on the dancefloor
remind me of old style cadenza tracks

Root
BANNED

Post by Root »

good one! nice warm, crackling atmosphere, nice elements on top with enough space to let them fly around. Maybe they could be a little bit more in front and crisp. Sub is already nice, but could win with a bit more definition and overtones/ saturation. Also the kick is a bit dull, as said, maybe a little less decay would fix it, just to have it a bit more punchy. Or try around with the click. Don't know if I like that click on every second kick that much. All of this is about details, all in all a nice track for a sunny sunday like today :)
:geek:

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

jordanneke wrote:The kick needs a bit more definition, perhaps a little less sustain (or dare I say more compression), and perhaps a bit more decay

When the bass kicks in, I really like it. With a few tweaks the low end could be magic.

My problem is that it has no hook, and it really doen't get going until 4.14. I see that you are going for a Captain Ketamine style track, but I think that's a very difficult thing to pull off. It's almost crying out for some house stab or something to 'complete' it.

The low end is (almost) great, but for me there's not enough to carry the rest of the track.
well, this pretty much sums up my feelings as well.
The details are really nice, but it's still missing something.

Also, does sustain even get used on drum samples ?
I mean a typical drum sample would only have attack, decay, and probably hardly ever release as well.
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

TimBuys
happy bastard

Post by TimBuys »

Very nice experimental track. I have nothing to add to what's already been said. Has nice potential this track.

Will Frances
Gnasher

Post by Will Frances »

Thanks for listening people, nice to hear you thoughts. My approach was to build up a groove led track, dare I say a 'tool' I wanted to see how far I could push it using odd organic elements, door slams, animals, dripping, telecoms and such. I very guilty of getting lost in the small details and then forgetting that I might need some sort of lead layer. ha ha

I agree sustain is a weird one on drums, release tho, can be useful, especially on resapmled drums that have a tail, helps me get some subtle movemnts going

Prophän
Back Bling

Post by Prophän »

I really like the bassline, and the occasional weird ,or as you described it better, organic sounds that come into play here and there, I think it has come together really nice for a "tool" track as you mentionned, great work

Vilius J
broke

Post by Vilius J »

Like this one simple yet good. Maybe some more percussion added would be good but besides that I like it.

paul-slacknoise
Face Hugger

Post by paul-slacknoise »

I like it. Simple, powerful, addictive percussion in the back. I like the snare at 6:25. You could probably do some more with it during the track.