Mantis Radio goes metal.

General Chat // Music Discussion
Darkfloor
crud
Mantis Radio goes metal.

Post by Darkfloor »

Yo Subsekt. Figured some of you would be into your metal and what not. On our most recent Mantis Radio show we went grindcore and powerviolence with a guest mix from C Mantle. Plus there's a few metal influences from when DVNT was a teenager.

-> http://darkfloor.co.uk/mantis-radio-236-grindcore-metal

PixelKind
who is it?
Re: Mantis Radio goes metal.

Post by PixelKind »

Cool. Will give this a listen when I am home

PixelKind
who is it?

Post by PixelKind »

wow that was bad. i'm a long-time listener of darkfloor radio and i love it but this episode was just embarrassing. The first half sounds like some 12-year old american kid gets angry cuz he cant skateboard. Its all skate-punk and no metal at all. We get all the usual suspects who hit the top40 like Slipknot, Deftones, Manson, Nirvana, ...
Oh and of course there was paranoid by Black Sabbath. Cant do metal without that song. Makes u legit :P
Then there is 5min of white noise and the guest DJ comes on. He plays some obscure metal tracks (at least its metal this time) but there is no connection. Its just strange tracks put in random order. Just boring. Sorry guys but this was a total fail

mainst09
Traits

Post by mainst09 »

PixelKind wrote:wow that was bad. i'm a long-time listener of darkfloor radio and i love it but this episode was just embarrassing. The first half sounds like some 12-year old american kid gets angry cuz he cant skateboard. Its all skate-punk and no metal at all. We get all the usual suspects who hit the top40 like Slipknot, Deftones, Manson, Nirvana, ...
Oh and of course there was paranoid by Black Sabbath. Cant do metal without that song. Makes u legit :P
Then there is 5min of white noise and the guest DJ comes on. He plays some obscure metal tracks (at least its metal this time) but there is no connection. Its just strange tracks put in random order. Just boring. Sorry guys but this was a total fail

skate what? skate-punk has nothing to do with this,neither punk has this is mostly heavy metal! which is of course one of the worst metal sub-genres
Voices From Cindy's Cunt

PixelKind
who is it?

Post by PixelKind »

its the kind of music you hear in all the skating videos. i'm just pointing out that it has nothing to do with metal. did u listen to the podcast?

Darkfloor
crud

Post by Darkfloor »

PixelKind wrote:its the kind of music you hear in all the skating videos. i'm just pointing out that it has nothing to do with metal. did u listen to the podcast?
You were listening to some nice metal when skating then, all I remember from skate punk (is that a thing?) were CKY, Green Day, and all that shite. What skate videos were you watching soundtracked by Manson and Ministry?

Thanks for the comments thou. It wasn't suppose to be a run down of the best contemporary metal which maybe you thought it would be. But, tracks that I listened to when I was a teenager, and perhaps my taste wasn't as obscure or cool as it should have been back then? But these tracks are ones I love. Still do.

I love that Slipknot are top 40 in your world. That makes me smile.

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

There isn't such a thing as skate punk. If so it must be Black Flag, Adolescents, Circle Jerks, US Bombs (Duane fuckin' Peters invented half of skate tricks the world knows). But really, it's just punk, or fuck off. And fuck these Slipknot posers. What a bunch of wankers...
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

Thanks for posting, Mike. I'll certainly check it out.
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Mono-xID wrote:There isn't such a thing as skate punk. If so it must be Black Flag, Adolescents, Circle Jerks, US Bombs (Duane fuckin' Peters invented half of skate tricks the world knows). But really, it's just punk, or fuck off. And fuck these Slipknot posers. What a bunch of wankers...
Lets not forget Fugazi, Dead Kennedys, Gorilla Biscuits, No FX, Suicidal Tendancies, Skatenigs...
A lot of skaters listened to hardcore and thrash metal. Also weezer for some reason....
I was the only skater that was in to industrial down the skate park (The Rom was where I used to skate).

Anyway, cheers mike, will check this out, not sure why dummies are getting thrown out the pram over it.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Mono-xID wrote:There isn't such a thing as skate punk. If so it must be Black Flag, Adolescents, Circle Jerks, US Bombs (Duane fuckin' Peters invented half of skate tricks the world knows). But really, it's just punk, or fuck off. And fuck these Slipknot posers. What a bunch of wankers...
Lets not forget Fugazi, Dead Kennedys, Gorilla Biscuits, No FX, Suicidal Tendancies, Skatenigs...
A lot of skaters listened to hardcore and thrash metal. Also weezer for some reason....
I was the only skater that was in to industrial down the skate park (The Rom was where I used to skate).

Anyway, cheers mike, will check this out, not sure why dummies are getting thrown out the pram over it.
My list would have crashed the internet so i just came up with bands which came first to mind when remembered my old skate days...
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths

Stace
Classical Approach

Post by Stace »

Hai Mike <3

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

I honestly thought this thread was 'Mantis radio goes mental'

I expected that during a show, one of the female dj's ripped the head off and consumed her male co-worker.

Stace
Classical Approach

Post by Stace »

jordanneke wrote: I expected that during a show, one of the female dj's ripped the head off and consumed her male co-worker.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kromasome
arsehole

Post by Kromasome »

jordanneke wrote:I honestly thought this thread was 'Mantis radio goes mental'
I thought the exact same thing until I started reading the thread.

Was wondering how much more mental it could get?? (rhetorical question because I know things can always be pushed further, but there is some pretty gnarly stuff on most shows - which I like).

[wesellboxes]
Q33 NY

Post by [wesellboxes] »

I used to be totally obsessed by this track in an old Alva video. Credit it as part of the reason why electronic music took such a hold for the subsequent 20+ years.

youtu.be/dKp__Jla5Iw

Here's a clip from a local haunt back in the day. It's was a competition day hence the crowds and snaking but you'll hear the electro soundtrack in the background. In fact, late 80's I'd say more skaters in Scotland were into electro or hip hop more than hardcore punk or were just into their own thing/not into music at all. People liked the Dead Kennedys, Big Black and all that but it didn't define skating in they way it seemed to in the USA.

youtu.be/V965rnkjhng