It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:43 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Author Message
 Post subject: Promo agency
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:30 am 
Offline
fake

Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:10 pm
Posts: 42
Location: Berlin
What promo agencies are there for "proper" techno releases? I know that Tailored Communications work for a lot of techno artists. Then there's Hype Filter but I feel like they are more on the House side of things. Any other suggestions?

_________________


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Promo agency
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:59 pm 
Offline
Killing Jar
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:19 pm
Posts: 2815
Location: Sweden
Let's first see what you mean by "promo agencies" ? Release promotion managements? Who send out music from labels to deejays and magazines?
I've learned there are no solely good ones for "proper techno", it can vary a lot. I find half of all good tracks in personal emails send to me or just a selected few people.

_________________
• Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
• Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
• Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

EGRESSING / DESTITUTUS (SUSLTD009)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Promo agency
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:20 pm 
Offline
fake

Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:10 pm
Posts: 42
Location: Berlin
Mattias wrote:
Let's first see what you mean by "promo agencies" ? Release promotion managements? Who send out music from labels to deejays and magazines?


Yes, that's what I mean. Companies that send out the release to their e-mail list of DJs, press and radio people.

_________________


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Promo agency
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:47 pm 
Offline
Interact. Don't Spam.

Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 7:05 pm
Posts: 23
Location: Barcelona
I recommend http://pullproxy.com/

For my recent EP on 100 % Pure (https://soundcloud.com/andre-crom/sets/ ... 100-pure-1) they arranged a Slam Radio guestmix, Mixmag, Data Transmission and deephouselondon (even if my track's more techno) premieres, and a couple of smaller things, like reviews, further podcasts, etc.

That was a full campaign which is not exactly cheap, but i felt it was defo worth it.

If you only want a DJ promotion sendout, that is much cheaper, but then you won't get any PR as listed above.

Tailored have an excellent reputation, but your music must really fit their profile for them to consider to work with you. Kinda the same like when you wanna get booked into Berghain or Robert Johnson etc.

_________________
https://soundcloud.com/andre-crom


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Promo agency
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:23 pm 
Offline
Killing Jar
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:19 pm
Posts: 2815
Location: Sweden
Pull Proxy used to be a lot better then it is today. They accept more work, which obviously is understandable so the quality declined a fair bit.

_________________
• Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
• Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
• Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

EGRESSING / DESTITUTUS (SUSLTD009)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Promo agency
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:35 pm 
Offline
Snauth
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:31 pm
Posts: 8001
I'm with Tailored.
Seriously overrated hipster company.

_________________
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
Record Label Singularity Recordings
Dirty Shit https://soundcloud.com/voidloss/voidloss-baptiser-of-sewage


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Promo agency
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:27 pm 
Offline
fake

Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:10 pm
Posts: 42
Location: Berlin
Lost to the Void wrote:
I'm with Tailored.
Seriously overrated hipster company.


So you do work with them regardless?

_________________


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Promo agency
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:36 pm 
Offline
Snauth
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:31 pm
Posts: 8001
Work "with"...
hmmmmmm
Interesting term.

_________________
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
Record Label Singularity Recordings
Dirty Shit https://soundcloud.com/voidloss/voidloss-baptiser-of-sewage


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Promo agency
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:40 am 
Offline
fake

Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:10 pm
Posts: 42
Location: Berlin
Lost to the Void wrote:
Work "with"...
hmmmmmm
Interesting term.


Haha, I assume you'd prefer to call it "giving access to their e-mail list for a very high rate"? Care to elaborate why you regard them overrated?

_________________


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Promo agency
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:29 pm 
Offline
Snauth
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:31 pm
Posts: 8001
I don't really want to go in to it.
It wasn't my idea to be signed to them anyway.
But I'm not sure what they do for their money. I think I'm only on their roster to give some underground cred or something.
I'm against agents, booking agents, promo blah. It's this kind of stink that has crept in to techno and turned it in to a fashion parade and PR game.

_________________
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
Record Label Singularity Recordings
Dirty Shit https://soundcloud.com/voidloss/voidloss-baptiser-of-sewage


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Promo agency
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:43 pm 
Offline
stupid boy

Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:49 pm
Posts: 685
I think booking agents are fine, otherwise artists that tour full time will have to spend half of their day emailing back and forth. I think the problem is more that the agencies have gotten much more professional and cutthroat over time. Promo agents, managers etc. are definitely overkill though.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Promo agency
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:14 pm 
Offline
Snauth
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:31 pm
Posts: 8001
yeah this is true, if you do go down the endless tour road, you really do need a booking agent.

_________________
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
Record Label Singularity Recordings
Dirty Shit https://soundcloud.com/voidloss/voidloss-baptiser-of-sewage


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Promo agency
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:37 pm 
Offline
crud
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:20 pm
Posts: 84
Lost to the Void wrote:
I'm against agents, booking agents, promo blah. It's this kind of stink that has crept in to techno and turned it in to a fashion parade and PR game.


World is geared towards the bullshit job though right? That shit has crept into everything. :(


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Promo agency
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:02 pm 
Offline
Snauth
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:31 pm
Posts: 8001
It has but you can stand against it.

_________________
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
Record Label Singularity Recordings
Dirty Shit https://soundcloud.com/voidloss/voidloss-baptiser-of-sewage


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Promo agency
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:29 pm 
Offline
crud
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:20 pm
Posts: 84
Lost to the Void wrote:
It has but you can stand against it.


yeah, but sometimes it's hard to know where rebellion ends and self sabotage begins..


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Promo agency
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:21 am 
Offline
Snauth
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:31 pm
Posts: 8001
Oh I`m not so sure of that. With integrity being such a very very very rare quality these days I think the line is pretty easy to see.

_________________
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
Record Label Singularity Recordings
Dirty Shit https://soundcloud.com/voidloss/voidloss-baptiser-of-sewage


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Promo agency
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:39 am 
Offline
sad bastard
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 12:48 pm
Posts: 184
Lost to the Void wrote:
Oh I`m not so sure of that. With integrity being such a very very very rare quality these days I think the line is pretty easy to see.


Just deleted a fairly long post that was somewhat related but not entirely relevant to this discussion (and based too much in pity city).

But my main thought regarding this would be is integrity enough if you actually want to turn your creativity into anything more than a hobby (ie generate some income)?? I detest the thought of needing to employ a number of social media strategies to increase my "following" which would largely be built up initially regardless of the quality of the tracks (ie building up big email lists etc).

Obviously if the quality of the music is high enough then a genuine fan base would ideally follow that initial "following" but I don't think there would be as much integrity anymore.

_________________


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Promo agency
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:30 am 
Offline
Snauth
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:31 pm
Posts: 8001
I`m not sure what you are saying.
firstly the idea of generating an income from making music, especially techno is kinda crazy in this day.....

If you want to earn any kind of money then it is gigs you want to look at.
And nothing works better than actual hard graft.

The crapartist these days just thinks "I will move to Berlin"....
tata then, go be black fish in fish tank full of black fishes.....

If you want money then organise parties or play local, if there is no scene then make one.
There is nothing like doing the legwork if you want to get on the circuit and live that life (one I personally find horrific, trapped in the week in and week out of parties to pay the rent), having that basis will give you more longevity than paying for marketing strategies and all the other bullshit, which without some history and legwork behind you, will give a short lived burn and fall.

Your own music will get you recognised if it is good and *if it stands out*
Look at what is out there, if you aren`t genuinely offering much different from established artists then what good are you? You have to be honest with yourself for a start.
IF you are doing good work, and have patience, then you just need to get it to labels, if it is good, and you get it to the right label in the right way, then that is all you really need to do, just...... lots of that.
Soundcloud plays, facebook likes, all that stuff is basically bollocks, it`s ego padding to keep you on a tredmill, but it doesn`t mean anything, if a label likes your music and it isn`t run by total donkey cock licking arse heads, then they will take it on the merits that they think it will work for them. IF they judge you on anything other than that, then fuck that label, it`s run by donkey cock licking arse heads, you don`t need to be giving these people your hard work.
All the other bullshit is...... bullshit.

You can maintain your integrity, you absolutely do not need to bend over and suck the black cock of bullshit.
You can, of course you can, it is entirely up to you, but you really don`t need to.

Of course

Everybody sells out in the end........

_________________
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
Record Label Singularity Recordings
Dirty Shit https://soundcloud.com/voidloss/voidloss-baptiser-of-sewage


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Promo agency
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:52 am 
Offline
sad bastard
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 12:48 pm
Posts: 184
Lost to the Void wrote:
I`m not sure what you are saying.
firstly the idea of generating an income from making music, especially techno is kinda crazy in this day.....

If you want to earn any kind of money then it is gigs you want to look at.
And nothing works better than actual hard graft.

The crapartist these days just thinks "I will move to Berlin"....
tata then, go be black fish in fish tank full of black fishes.....

If you want money then organise parties or play local, if there is no scene then make one.
There is nothing like doing the legwork if you want to get on the circuit and live that life (one I personally find horrific, trapped in the week in and week out of parties to pay the rent), having that basis will give you more longevity than paying for marketing strategies and all the other bullshit, which without some history and legwork behind you, will give a short lived burn and fall.

Your own music will get you recognised if it is good and *if it stands out*
Look at what is out there, if you aren`t genuinely offering much different from established artists then what good are you? You have to be honest with yourself for a start.
IF you are doing good work, and have patience, then you just need to get it to labels, if it is good, and you get it to the right label in the right way, then that is all you really need to do, just...... lots of that.
Soundcloud plays, facebook likes, all that stuff is basically bollocks, it`s ego padding to keep you on a tredmill, but it doesn`t mean anything, if a label likes your music and it isn`t run by total donkey cock licking arse heads, then they will take it on the merits that they think it will work for them. IF they judge you on anything other than that, then fuck that label, it`s run by donkey cock licking arse heads, you don`t need to be giving these people your hard work.
All the other bullshit is...... bullshit.

You can maintain your integrity, you absolutely do not need to bend over and suck the black cock of bullshit.
You can, of course you can, it is entirely up to you, but you really don`t need to.

Of course

Everybody sells out in the end........


Sounds like you did get what I was trying to say and have pretty much directly addressed a number of things running through my mind.

I guess I just haven't pushed hard enough to create a scene in my town - it's mostly just horrible mainstream top 40 and pub music and the occasional trap/dubstep/future house/edm type of night that I'm not really interested in - even though the kids go nuts for it

For some reason, even though I feel pretty ordinary about not having done anything with my music, I still feel like I want to keep making tracks all the time. I should just be content with trying to push myself to make tracks that I can honestly say are the best I can do and not worry about anything else.

_________________


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  



Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
skymiles v1.1 designed by CodeMiles Team -TemplatesDragon-.