How do i get a bell like in this Robert Hood banger?

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Andre_Crom
rescued
How do i get a bell like in this Robert Hood banger?

Post by Andre_Crom »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nRiDTHitOc

I guess it's some kinda digital bell sound, and a chord? Been experimenting with a lot of plugs, but mostly my bells sounded too "lovely", opposed to that dark vibe created here... Razor and Serum came closest to it, but still not quite there.

Would be great to know how to create a sound like this from scratch instead of flipping through presets.

Thx in advance!

A.

Hades
Shit Eater
Re: How do i get a bell like in this Robert Hood banger?

Post by Hades »

Andre_Crom wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nRiDTHitOc

I guess it's some kinda digital bell sound, and a chord? Been experimenting with a lot of plugs, but mostly my bells sounded too "lovely", opposed to that dark vibe created here... Razor and Serum came closest to it, but still not quite there.

Would be great to know how to create a sound like this from scratch instead of flipping through presets.

Thx in advance!

A.

where do you hear a bell sound in there ?
a chord yes, but no bell sound.

also, if you want to use youtube video's,
best way to do so is to use the youtube buttons and then paste the part of the url after the "v=" sign.
In the case of your video above, that means you have to use this part :
2nRiDTHitOc
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

I think the reason you think of a bell sound is because Robert Hood might have used a frequency shifter on his chord sound.
That usually gives sounds a bell-ish sort of effect.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Yeah, it's just a chord with a bit of a bell-ish tone and not a classic FM bell tone. I think Hood uses a Microkorg these days.

Andre_Crom
rescued

Post by Andre_Crom »

thx guys, that helps already - will focus more on chord in general instead of a bell then in my experiments to get there. will try the frequency shifter tip as well.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

honestly, I have been trying to replicate this sound a little bit for the last half hour or so,
and I tried with both FM (Operator) and Analog (subtractive).
I got in the right ballpark with Analog in a matter of minutes (though, as is usually the case, that last 10% of the sound is the hardest part to get exactly right),
but with Operator I was constantly changing the sound and was only getting further away from what I wanted.

I think your biggest problem might have been that you started from a bell kind of sound and took that further,
while this sound is most likely a simple chord stab with some sort of frequency shifting or another FX that adds an extra bellish overtone to the sound.

Also, if you say your sound was still sounding too warm, no matter what sound you started with from the start,
you might have overlooked using a bandpass filter.
It instantly makes any kind of subtractive patch sound more thin, so more "plasticy", and it gives your sound way more rhythmic possibilities.
Bandpass filters can do wonders for chord stabs.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

dubdub wrote: I think Hood uses a Microkorg these days.
no offense, but that doesn't exactly help much. :)
Even if OP would go out and buy himself a Microkorg, he'd still have to find out how to replicate that sound on the Microkorg. ;)

tsaro
Lifer

Post by tsaro »

As far as filters go, Audiodamage 914 filterbank is great for that kind of stuff.

There's more than one way to get that kind of sound, you could try a resonator for example, I use ArcDev Resomatic for that kind of thing all the time (only win 32 bits though, and it could be a bit hard to find). For something more current/advanced (and multi platform) Tritik Moodal should be great for this type of thing.

And then there's always the option of fucking around with comb filtering for similar tones. I'm sure I'm forgetting something here, but that should be enough to keep you busy for a while.
how far do you want to go

tsaro
Lifer

Post by tsaro »

edit:double
how far do you want to go

Southpaw
quasi-public

Post by Southpaw »

I like these types of threads but I'm rubbish at recreating an existing sound. I'd probably have started with square waves and then experimented with some detune, saturation & distortion but that's only a guess. The chord shape sounds diminished to me with a higher note on top . So better to have a chord playing when making the patch than a single note. I've tried replicating sounds before and ended up with stuff that sounds nothing like it whatsoever but still decent sounds in their own right. :lol:
Deep House & Dub Techno Samples https://www.abitdeeper.com/

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Sounds very FM to me, simple bell sound with a little detuning on one of the operators
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

FM. It's a chord.. f, a#, g# are a few of the notes I think.

You can do a simple patch in operator with a 2 squares. One modding the other. The default set up. Try putting the 2nd square a little out of phase.. and / or a few cent fine tuning. Increase the volume of the 2nd square to taste.

I put a filter on it.. and some envelope. I liked it with a bandpass.. but by then it was sounding like something that was it's own. It's a simple sound.

It might even be a sample? Try bouncing out a stab of it & see what you come up with.

Anyway.. It's ballpark. Dick around with it to make it yours. Try a few sines.. a few triangles.. or a triangle modded by a square. Go mad.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

Andre_Crom
rescued

Post by Andre_Crom »

thanks so much guys, some really actionable advice in here which i'm gonna try as soon as back to the studio!

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

if you need the notes,
It's the chord of F2 + A#2 a few times,
and the last chord is F2 + G#2

but I see John already suggested that.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Ah.. so the root stays the same.. Cool. Was wondering about that.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

funny thing is I don't even think in terms of "root",
nobody ever taught me that (really basic shit) in all these years.
I just follow my ears. The stupid perfect pitch kind of thing.
(which is usually shit for me when it comes to chords)

the easy part for me is always to find back the notes (unless it's some difficult chord progression),
but from time to time I do have these moments where I think "ugh ??? qué ??"
like when the sounds are too much detuned (seldomly happens)
or (a lot worse), when there's "sound planing" going on (if I remember that word correctly, I could be wrong),
basically when someone has sampled a chord and uses the old school sampler method to pitch it up or down,
so the pitch isn't quite exactly in tune with the rest of the track.
I remember a few years ago I did my best to find the notes for some track,
and I could never quite get there, no matter what I tried,
and then this Canadian guy (forgot his username, lovely guy, hasn't been here for ages) told me about the sound planing...
yep, that explained a lot... :)

gilesdavis
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by gilesdavis »

fuck, hey Andre!

If you've been looking for a new production forum, you've found it. This place is highest class in content and good people. I found it a couple years back and it's everything I need, I stiil need to keep going back to hit archived classics threads as I haven't gotten through them all yet, serious goldmine. I really need to start contributing and stop being such a leech :/

Can't really add anything new on this discussion but looks like it's covered under the much agreed 'FM is fucking rad, but often tricky.' general umbrella! I will just mention as no-one else did that I frequently throw on Corpus (if you even use Live) to see want it brings to the table when sound designing. Often get something surprising I don't get from other plugs. It has a 'bell' setting too, though it tends to jack the sound too much. Plate and Membrane are the two I prefer consistently.

Anyway, thought I should throw a welcome out, if not for OFF (always demands proper attention in the feeds) and your tracks, then for coming out with Jay Lumen a couple years ago, caught the Railway gig in Melbourne! Was a rad night, sorry if you didn't make much, hard to turn them out sometimes for a gig not in the CBD on a Sunday, even if we do have generally good scene going on.

peace

Andre_Crom
rescued

Post by Andre_Crom »

gilesdavis wrote:fuck, hey Andre!

If you've been looking for a new production forum, you've found it. This place is highest class in content and good people. I found it a couple years back and it's everything I need, I stiil need to keep going back to hit archived classics threads as I haven't gotten through them all yet, serious goldmine. I really need to start contributing and stop being such a leech :/

Can't really add anything new on this discussion but looks like it's covered under the much agreed 'FM is fucking rad, but often tricky.' general umbrella! I will just mention as no-one else did that I frequently throw on Corpus (if you even use Live) to see want it brings to the table when sound designing. Often get something surprising I don't get from other plugs. It has a 'bell' setting too, though it tends to jack the sound too much. Plate and Membrane are the two I prefer consistently.

Anyway, thought I should throw a welcome out, if not for OFF (always demands proper attention in the feeds) and your tracks, then for coming out with Jay Lumen a couple years ago, caught the Railway gig in Melbourne! Was a rad night, sorry if you didn't make much, hard to turn them out sometimes for a gig not in the CBD on a Sunday, even if we do have generally good scene going on.

peace
thx giles! happy to be on here as well, and glad you enjoyed that gig. gonna be back in australia in november for earthcore festival; maybe u can make it ;)

and yea, corpus is one of my def. go-to's inside ableton, throw it on some percussion sample and you get an instant industrial-metallic feel, but can also give great different sounding results on tons of other things.