Mix Bus Compression Guide

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
over9000
Nor Crystal Tears
Re: Mix Bus Compression Guide

Post by over9000 »

thanks alot for this void!
made me understand what a compressor is and how it acts much better.
will try this on my next track

thecrudeguy
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by thecrudeguy »

Really interesting and helpful post. Thanks a lot!

Dubz
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by Dubz »

Thanks for this. Really helpful.
Quick question- I often run a limiter on my master with extreme settings. For example I will have it running 10db of gain reduction. I've found that when my mixing is good, the track doesn't break down and sound like shit with these extreme settings. Then I'll dial it back to only have 2-3 of gain reduction. Is this a method that is recommended or am I just tricking myself?

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

Dubz wrote:Thanks for this. Really helpful.
Quick question- I often run a limiter on my master with extreme settings. For example I will have it running 10db of gain reduction. I've found that when my mixing is good, the track doesn't break down and sound like shit with these extreme settings. Then I'll dial it back to only have 2-3 of gain reduction. Is this a method that is recommended or am I just tricking myself?
You can slap on a limiter on the track when you're nearly done with your mix and press it to see how it reacts and what it reacts to. All tracks sounds like shit with 10dB of gain reduction with a limiter though, it's possible you just don't hear it in your current listening environment. Instead check for other things like the over all levels, LUFS (LKSF), RMS values and reference tracks to A/B against while cranking the limiter to a reasonable level. If you get loads of gain reduction going without reaching decent levels it can indicate that something is using too much headroom or destroys the mix. Use with care.
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

CRDM
hmmmmmm...

Post by CRDM »

Thanks for this it's so good, this is such detailed knowledge and has instantly brought a better understanding to mix buss compression to me. Hats off for sharing and for the way it's written, big respect!

Plyphon
endless

Post by Plyphon »

Has anyone used the freeware version of MJUC and can comment on how it compares to the paid-for?

http://klanghelm.com/contents/products/ ... MJUCjr.php

Ignore that, it has no controls. Silly me.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Because 23 euros is too much money?
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

CRDM
hmmmmmm...

Post by CRDM »

Plyphon wrote:Has anyone used the freeware version of MJUC and can comment on how it compares to the paid-for?

http://klanghelm.com/contents/products/ ... MJUCjr.php

Ignore that, it has no controls. Silly me.

It's a blend between v1 and v2 in behaviour if I remember rightly. Stripped down though and no lower panel. If your interested in MJUC just get it. It's excellent and Klanghelm deserve the support.

SFBM
&roid

Post by SFBM »

Great guide! I've got this bookmarked now. Most of this stuff I did know, but the application of the knowledge was slightly tripping me up.
And the mix buss == master buss = 2buss was something I wanted to know about too - I'd always heard the term used, but never knew what it was, and googling it didn't really help. I was pretty sure that it referred to that, but it's great to finally have it cleared up!

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

I've been wondering, is there any specific reason why the compressor should react to the kick/drums rather than the bass? Wouldn't it make sense to tune the compressor after the bass if the bassline is the center of the track's rhythm?

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Bassline tends to be not emphasised on the beat, normally after or on offbeat, as techno is kick dominant so no, if you set to your bass you will find your groove will be weird and fucked, and probably your kicks will lose punch.
With drum and bass for example you would generally try to adjust for the kick and snare to drive the comp.
Bass doesn't tend to have much transient information or punch.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

23 Euros is not much at all.

tenga
brown envelope

Post by tenga »

I tried MJUC and its great !!! many thanks for this tutorial !!!!!

small question:
which waves compressor would be a good candidate/similar to this type of compression ??
CLA-76
CLA-3A
CLA-2A
H-COMP
C1
SSLCOMP
API-2500

what about fabfilter pro-C2 ?

Thanks a lot Steve !!!

dippy egg
Unartful

Post by dippy egg »

This has been so helpful. Thank you so much! I'm still a relative noob but this has improved my tracks immeasurably. I think I may have been trying to produce the sound of bus compression but without using a bus compressor... :?

Not only this but my channel compression seems to make a lot more sense now too. Could this be due to the way the track compressors work with the bus compression? Or is it that maybe the penny has dropped and I'm now beginning to understand how to use compression more effectively?

tenga
brown envelope

Post by tenga »

tenga wrote:I tried MJUC and its great !!! many thanks for this tutorial !!!!!

small question:
which waves compressor would be a good candidate/similar to this type of compression ??
CLA-76
CLA-3A
CLA-2A
H-COMP
C1
SSLCOMP
API-2500

Thanks a lot Steve !!!
i tried all listed compressors , the only one that pumps easily as MJUC is SSL COMP....
Guys tell me what you think !!!

Southpaw
quasi-public

Post by Southpaw »

This is up there with one of the best articles I have ever read. Timeless
Deep House & Dub Techno Samples https://www.abitdeeper.com/

intrusav
Rolf Harris

Post by intrusav »

dippy egg wrote:...Or is it that maybe the penny has dropped and I'm now beginning to understand how to use compression more effectively?
You just answered your own question! Welcome to Subsekt. Have fun :)

qb748t394
fancy woman

Post by qb748t394 »

tenga wrote:
tenga wrote:I tried MJUC and its great !!! many thanks for this tutorial !!!!!

small question:
CLA-76
CLA-3A
CLA-2A
H-COMP
C1
SSLCOMP
API-2500

Thanks a lot Steve !!!
i tried all listed compressors , the only one that pumps easily as MJUC is SSL COMP....
Guys tell me what you think !!!
If you are looking for something like the MJUC from Waves, I imagine you are looking for a vari-mu... so that's the stupidly named puig-whater the fuck - child... as in the Fairchild. I can't stand Waves and the gimmicky shit, "Chris Lord ALgae urinated on my mix" plugin... hell, plugin series. "Dial in just the right amount of urine to make your mix jump out of the speakers and standout in this saturated market of bedroom vomit.

xonetacular
Gnasher

Post by xonetacular »

any opinions on what would be a good hardware compressor for this purpose?

there are a few nice kits available here was thinking about building: https://pcbgrinder.com/index.php?route= ... ry&path=64

the built versions with more info are here: https://bymunsonandfletcher.com/#144440 ... cd397-f8cc. sadly doesn't look like the the MS VECA is available as a kit.

terryfalafel
Component

Post by terryfalafel »

I'd go for the G-SSL. Build it stock first and get it working and then add mods.