Reason 9.5 announced, with VST support

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
The_G
Artificial Hazard
Reason 9.5 announced, with VST support

Post by The_G »

I know what you're thinking: "WTF year is this, 2002?"

Well, yes...that's true. But it's actually kind of exciting. The way VSTs will work in Reason 9.5 is you drag the VST instrument onto the rack, then load your VST of choice--but then the VST instrument in the rack has a ton of assignable CV and gate in/outputs, so you can integrate VSTs into Reason's semi-modular environment. And you can modulate VST instrument parameters with other VSTs, audio effects, MIDI effects, etc.

Potentially quite cool. 15 years late, but still cool.

youtu.be/mmxrTNgO0rU

dubdub
Asphyxiwank
Re: Reason 9.5 announced, with VST support

Post by dubdub »

I wonder what made them do this. Especially so out of nowhere. At least on paper, Rack Extension were a cashcow since Propellerheads took a cut off every sale. Or you would think, they'd hold this off for version 10 along with an adjusted marketing/brand strategy.

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

Already?

But seriously, it was needed.
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

dubdub wrote:I wonder what made them do this. Especially so out of nowhere. At least on paper, Rack Extension were a cashcow since Propellerheads took a cut off every sale. Or you would think, they'd hold this off for version 10 along with an adjusted marketing/brand strategy.
From the video, it's clearly been in the works for a whole--and a few prominent devs (Waves, iZotope and Xfer) appear to have had input.

An educated guess as to why: big name devs have mostly abandoned the RE market, because they have to use Props' SDK instead of their custom code. (Both Urs from U-He and Rob Papen have mentioned this). So the RE marketplace has essentially become an indie marketplace, not unlike games for iOS or PSN. And a lot of the devs are coding exclusively for the RE format.

So my guess is that they think the RE market is still viable as a platform for indie developers, who will take advantage of Reason's modular routing, but that the only way they'll get a bigger market share is if they support the big name devs in VST format.

WOLF!
Grand

Post by WOLF! »

Well that's about 10 years to late :) .

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

actually i could be tempted by this. reason was fun when i had 2.5.
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

Mslwte wrote:actually i could be tempted by this. reason was fun when i had 2.5.
It's changed a lot since then--it's now a full on DAW, though it still has its many idiosyncrasies.

msl
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Post by msl »

Yep 10 years too late...

indeed it was the most fun at v2-v3.. I still have v6 but its bloated... it was the simplicity that made it effective and quick to arrange with, such a simple sequencer.
www.bernadettetrax.bandcamp.com
www.soundcloud.com/michaellovatt

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.” Dune

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

msl wrote:Yep 10 years too late...

indeed it was the most fun at v2-v3.. I still have v6 but its bloated... it was the simplicity that made it effective and quick to arrange with, such a simple sequencer.
You can still use it like that. And it's quite CPU efficient.

Aurongroove
pregnant

Post by Aurongroove »

Holy Shit GTFO

still, though.
Am I the only person that's mixed?

I've been a life long user of Reason and I love it's foibles.
The recent updates have made it a perfectly fully equipped DAW by itself but it still remained a unique programme, with unique features.

I feel like finally adding VST's kinda, "gives in" just as they've never been closer to being a complete package without it.
And rewiring it into other DAWs always worked well anyways so why, if you wanted VSTs that badly, would you not just do that?

Plus, won't this be "the beginning of the end" of it's immaculate reliability?
You can never be 100% certain a DAW will work effortlessly once you bring VST's into the equation, updates folders, and other bullshit.
I seen it happen with Logic, Protools, Sonar, Cubase, Ableton.

I think I discovered Reason in the late 90's, (so about 20 years ago?)
I have literally never witnessed it crashing. EVEN cracked versions. even on virus ridden, 7 year old PC falling to pieces.

Yes Reason does sometimes force you to think differently about programming, but, I mean, when is that ever a bad thing?
Last edited by Aurongroove on Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm Hilarious

Some professional mastering engineers use multi-band compressors.

Aurongroove
pregnant

Post by Aurongroove »

then again, most of that can be dismissed as "grumble grumble, why do things have to change!?" *threateningly waves a cane
I'm Hilarious

Some professional mastering engineers use multi-band compressors.

NAO
Suspect Handshake

Post by NAO »

I started making music using ReBirth and when Reason v 1 came out I switched over. Not that it in any way was similar but I didn't know much about music making and wasn't aware of any other sequencers anyway. Seemed natural. Got a legit copy of Reason 7 a few years ago, stopped using it soon after and started using Ableton Live 9 instead. Felt like a sheep having been on Reason for so long working only ITB. Starting to use VST:s was an eye opener really. Will probably upgrade either now or when v 10 comes out.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

The_G wrote:
dubdub wrote:I wonder what made them do this. Especially so out of nowhere. At least on paper, Rack Extension were a cashcow since Propellerheads took a cut off every sale. Or you would think, they'd hold this off for version 10 along with an adjusted marketing/brand strategy.
An educated guess as to why: big name devs have mostly abandoned the RE market, because they have to use Props' SDK instead of their custom code. (Both Urs from U-He and Rob Papen have mentioned this). So the RE marketplace has essentially become an indie marketplace, not unlike games for iOS or PSN. And a lot of the devs are coding exclusively for the RE format.

So my guess is that they think the RE market is still viable as a platform for indie developers, who will take advantage of Reason's modular routing, but that the only way they'll get a bigger market share is if they support the big name devs in VST format.
I checked the RE marketplace and seems like you are right. In my memory, there were more big name developers on there.

Obviously, they've been working on it for a while but you'd think they'd tease the biggest change in the history of the software for a while instead of just announcing it out of the blue.

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

dubdub wrote:
The_G wrote:

I checked the RE marketplace and seems like you are right. In my memory, there were more big name developers on there.

Obviously, they've been working on it for a while but you'd think they'd tease the biggest change in the history of the software for a while instead of just announcing it out of the blue.
There were at launch. The problem is that most big-name devs like to code in a mix of C++ and Assembly, and to have essentially infinite freedom to do whatever they want. Reason's SDK is optimized for integration into the Reason modular system, and uses C++ exclusively.

That's a great thing in some ways--the RE version of The Legend, for example, can be routed into and out of anything else, which allows for some unbelievable modular creativity. On the other hand, most of the big synths made today (Diva, Serum, Predator 2, etc.) can't be shoehorned into the Reason SDK. They need to be rewritten, resized and in many cases, nerfed. A lot of devs just don't see the marketplace as big enough to justify that, while the centralized Propellerheads store means they also can't sell the RE versions through their own shops. So the ones that are still involved, like Rob Papen, Synapse or Softube, are often making special RE edition stuff. More devs simply walked away.

That said, there are some really talented devs working within the RE market. Here's a couple that I just love:

https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... nthesizer/
https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... -ensemble/

I *think* the plan is for the RE shop to feature these kinds of devs. Prices will likely drop, but I think you'll still see an active market.

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

Aurongroove wrote:Holy Shit GTFO

still, though.
Am I the only person that's mixed?

I've been a life long user of Reason and I love it's foibles.
The recent updates have made it a perfectly fully equipped DAW by itself but it still remained a unique programme, with unique features.

I feel like finally adding VST's kinda, "gives in" just as they've never been closer to being a complete package without it.
And rewiring it into other DAWs always worked well anyways so why, if you wanted VSTs that badly, would you not just do that?

Plus, won't this be "the beginning of the end" of it's immaculate reliability?
You can never be 100% certain a DAW will work effortlessly once you bring VST's into the equation, updates folders, and other bullshit.
I seen it happen with Logic, Protools, Sonar, Cubase, Ableton.

I think I discovered Reason in the late 90's, (so about 20 years ago?)
I have literally never witnessed it crashing. EVEN cracked versions. even on virus ridden, 7 year old PC falling to pieces.

Yes Reason does sometimes force you to think differently about programming, but, I mean, when is that ever a bad thing?
You're not the only one--I've heard a number of people express this opinion. But the thing is that all of this is opt-in. You don't ever need to use any VSTs. Actually you can still use Reason like it's Reason 5--just load the 16:1 mixer and ignore the SSL-style console. So I think a lot of the fears are unfounded. Propellerheads are dedicated to backwards compatibility, so you will always be able to do it old school :)

ekwipt
Smore

Post by ekwipt »

We're talking about this one right?

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

http://www.verdanecapital.com/article/2338

Saw this on Reddit, seems like VST Support happened because they got bought out by an Investor.