nObcontrol (midi controller that works w/o mapping)

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
dubdub
Asphyxiwank
nObcontrol (midi controller that works w/o mapping)

Post by dubdub »

http://www.nobcontrol.com/

Just saw this and the concept seems pretty brilliant - it works as a mouse/keyboard type device so you can just point your mouse on any mouse controlled parameter and adjust i with the knob without having to map anything. But the fucking pointless ugly "vintage" wood and outrageous price (199e) make it a toughter sell than it should be. Does anyone know if there are any alternatives to this thing?

Plyphon
endless
Re: nObcontrol (midi controller that works w/o mapping)

Post by Plyphon »

Yup I had this idea a number of years back and couldnt believe there wasn't anything that did this.

Now I have a Push, it's kind of taken care of in that Push maps to whatever VST you have open, but I'd still like something like this. It looks well made, but is massively over engineered.

terryfalafel
Component

Post by terryfalafel »

This looks a lot like someone's put this

https://griffintechnology.com/us/powermate

in a wooden box and is charging 4x the price for it.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

terryfalafel wrote:This looks a lot like someone's put this

https://griffintechnology.com/us/powermate

in a wooden box and is charging 4x the price for it.
Seems like the resolution isn't that great though. And doesn't work on Win 7 :D

kertikristof
Wastedddd

Post by kertikristof »

There a max 4 live device called One, which is pretty much similar in software (ableton) realm. You click on a parameter, and your controllers potentiometer picks up automatically the chosen parameters control. Not the same but it's intuitive for fast "closer" changes.
https://intech.studio <- Modular MIDI controllers, MaxForLive devices, DIY Eurorack panels and intech life.
@ https://www.instagram.com/intechstudio/

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

dubdub wrote:http://www.nobcontrol.com/

Just saw this and the concept seems pretty brilliant - it works as a mouse/keyboard type device so you can just point your mouse on any mouse controlled parameter and adjust i with the knob without having to map anything. But the fucking pointless ugly "vintage" wood and outrageous price (199e) make it a toughter sell than it should be. Does anyone know if there are any alternatives to this thing?

That looks great, I`m gonna get one.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

gedda
Metric Martyr

Post by gedda »

0xa wrote:There a max 4 live device called One, which is pretty much similar in software (ableton) realm. You click on a parameter, and your controllers potentiometer picks up automatically the chosen parameters control. Not the same but it's intuitive for fast "closer" changes.
Wow, thanks! This REALLY helps!

kertikristof
Wastedddd

Post by kertikristof »

Lost to the Void wrote:
dubdub wrote:http://www.nobcontrol.com/

That looks great, I`m gonna get one.
May I ask you why are considering getting one? The idea itself is fascinating in my humble opinion, but as I am working with controllers in the 0-127 tick resolution, wether it's VDJ, live sound control, visuals, I don't think I am helped out with one über special (k)n0b.
https://intech.studio <- Modular MIDI controllers, MaxForLive devices, DIY Eurorack panels and intech life.
@ https://www.instagram.com/intechstudio/

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

High resolution, good quality, easy to use
New Shit

ozias_leduc
ANAL

Post by ozias_leduc »

i like it... i think...

but i mean, i'm already holding the mouse when i move it to a parameter. and then i have to move my hand to this big knob? i'd probably end up just using the mouse

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

0xa wrote:There a max 4 live device called One, which is pretty much similar in software (ableton) realm. You click on a parameter, and your controllers potentiometer picks up automatically the chosen parameters control. Not the same but it's intuitive for fast "closer" changes.
Thanks, this is cool but it doesn't seem to work for plugin parameters for me, only for internal live fx, he values just jump around in a weird way when adjusting plugin parameters.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Thanks, this is cool but it doesn't seem to work for plugin parameters for me, only for internal live fx, he values just jump around in a weird way when adjusting plugin parameters.
Lost to the Void wrote:High resolution, good quality, easy to use

Some of the additional control features on this thing like changing resolution, jumping between parameters and an un-do function also seem ace, if they work properly, and you don't get that with a regular midi controller.

Please report back when you've tried it, as an ITB only guy I would love a big fucking high resolution knob to adjust any parameter but 200e is a lot of money for me so it better be fucking good. I'm going to get me a Push 1 first in case, though.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

dubdub wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:High resolution, good quality, easy to use

Some of the additional control features on this thing like changing resolution, jumping between parameters and an un-do function also seem ace, if they work properly, and you don't get that with a regular midi controller.

Please report back when you've tried it, as an ITB only guy I would love a big fucking high resolution knob to adjust any parameter but 200e is a lot of money for me so it better be fucking good. I'm going to get me a Push 1 first in case, though.
That`s pretty much why, I think I would use it a lot in the mastering studio, and fine tuning is essential. Shame it`s not wireless though :(, the PC in the mastering studio is hidden away in the machine room and I run the keyboard and trackball wirelessly, so that might be a dealbreaker.
Still great for the production room I guess, but I don`t want to have to run a 12ft usb to use it in the mastering room. I`m gonna write to them.
New Shit

winston
unsure

Post by winston »

i saw this on kickstarter and looked it up again recently. i'm getting one in the summer when i am home to get it.
i think the key for me is that there is nothing to set up, and it will make editing things in logic pretty simple, right hand fingers on the touchpad moving the pointer over what needs changed, left hand turning the value.
it is pretty expensive compared to other controllers with more knobs and faders, but it's valuable in a minimalist sense.

intrusav
Rolf Harris

Post by intrusav »

I honestly don't get it. Seen a cool controller for CAD apps like sketchup but this?
Seems like a bit of a gimmick to me but I guess for those who know, it'll make more sense.

PixelKind
who is it?

Post by PixelKind »

Its very expensive too. Can easily make one yourself for a fraction of the price with exactly the features you want

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

PixelKind wrote:Its very expensive too. Can easily make one yourself for a fraction of the price with exactly the features you want
How do you "easily" make one yourself? You would have to find some kind of high resolution knob device, somehow connect it as a human interface device and then program it. I mean, it's not exact,y rocket science but they likely spent a loot of time programmign and finetuning this thing so it works smooth and out of the box.

PixelKind
who is it?

Post by PixelKind »

These knobs just work the same as a mouse wheel. When the pointer of your mouse is hovering over any element the mouse wheel can change that elements value. I've seen people use the wheel from an old mouse to do that. Or make their own with any rotary encoder and an Arduino. There are tons of examples online and most of them also provide the code. So its rather easy to copy.

I personally never really saw the point cuz using the mouse wheel is just as convenient and your hand has to be on the mouse anyway

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Mouse wheels are meh.
Never feel very nice, not that fine.
I use an expensive track ball in the mastering room, which feels very nice, when doing fine tuning with compression etc ITB it would be nice to have a large scale, smooth, hi Res etc.
I'd much rather it be well engineered than DIY.
New Shit

PixelKind
who is it?

Post by PixelKind »

Yeah thats true. A mouse wheel is not that good for very fine adjustments