Midi Notes retrigger Problem in Ableton

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
over9000
Nor Crystal Tears
Midi Notes retrigger Problem in Ableton

Post by over9000 »

Hello!

i have this problem: I got an arpeggiator sequence playing in FM8 over one bar. In the clip i got one stretched out note over the whole bar. When i listen to it as a looped clip, everything is fine, it restarts nicely without a stop. But when i listen to it in arrangement view with multiple clips of the arp sequence in a row, there is a nasty gap, that is very audible. I dont know if its really a gap, i suppose its some problem with the midi note being retriggered at the start of the new clip.
How can this be prevented? I tried some stuff like taking the accent of the first step in the arpegiator, but that doesent help. Dident find anything with google either, but thats because i dont know what the problem is exactly, or how to properly describe it.....
Has anyone ever encountered this problem?
Any help would be super apreciated.
Greezz from Zureich

Leskey
non reader
Re: Midi Notes retrigger Problem in Ableton

Post by Leskey »

I'm not exactly sure I understand your problem, but if I do - have you tried just lengthening the clip in arrangement instead of copy paste?

▇ ▇ ▇
Get a fucking avatar

Post by ▇ ▇ ▇ »

if you are using groove templates on clips in Ableton sometimes the first note does not fire ... pita.

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears

Post by over9000 »

Leskey wrote:I'm not exactly sure I understand your problem, but if I do - have you tried just lengthening the clip in arrangement instead of copy paste?
i copy pasted indeed, but lengthening the clip does not solve the problem. I dont get where the difference between a looped clip and the playback of the same clip in a row comes from.

And iam not using a groove template, also it is just one note over one bar in the clip, so if it wouldent play nothing would be heard...
I will record audio of both states so you can hear the difference. Might be a newbie mistake...

arkos

Post by arkos »

Just freeze the clip to audio for a fast and simple solution :) You can freeze a channel in Live and them control click the frozen part and drag it onto a audio track and you have a new audio file with your sound and you still have the midi for further messing around.

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears

Post by over9000 »

hmm how to record a loop from ableton? So you can hear the difference.
anyway i bumped it to audio, and there is a gap at the beginning of the new bar, that is not audible when the clip is played as a loop.. The notes seem to overlap, when the clip is played as a loop but they dont overlap when the clip is dragged out or copy pasted in arrangement view. When the loop is extended over two or more clips in a row, then the gap appears between the clips, but not on the transition between the last and first clip.
I played around with the portamento of FM8 but that dident help either..
Anyone got some clues on this?

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

Post a picture of the clip midi so we can see if something is amiss you havent spotted. Even better, post up an example project with just this one channel and someone could try it themselves. I have FM8, so I'll look at it if you do.

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears

Post by over9000 »

ok i uploaded the project here:
http://www29.zippyshare.com/v/5HJRY593/file.html
hope you can open it!

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

Turn off Key Sync in the FM8 arp page to fix it.

Btw, I hope you know that you can loop a clip in arrangement view by just dragging the block at the sides? You don't have to duplicate the clip like you have done.

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears

Post by over9000 »

ahhh thx alot mate, that helped! 8-)