Homemade Acoustic Panels ... or ... Foam ?

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Beno27
Interact. Don't Spam.
Re: Homemade Acoustic Panels ... or ... Foam ?

Post by Beno27 »

MeTeK wrote:Hello guys,

The sound in my room is absolutely shit i have to work with headphones all times.

I have lot of reverb.

Wich is the best solution for you ?

Building acoustic panels or Bouyins Foam ?

Thx

Had a very similar problem but followed this guide: http://subreel.com/make-acoustic-panels/ 4 panels in total but started with two, and you can hear the difference straight away.

terryfalafel
Component

Post by terryfalafel »

I've been doing loads of reading on the John Sayers forum. So much good information there. No response about my room specifically yet, but they do say it normally takes a while to get a personal response.

An ECM8000 mic is on the way to use with Room EQ Wizard, a combination which seems to be good enough for DIY level analysis to work out where the problems are and how to treat them.

It feels very positive spending some time researching this stuff. It's a bit overwhelming at first, but I get the impression that it'll be possible to make my space pretty good with some moderate investment of time and some $$$. Definitely worth the effort...

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Is this still going, I'd like to chip in.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

we need at least 10 units to organise some kind of discount
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

ive just bought some eq acoustic corner traps so im out.
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

arkos

Post by arkos »

I'm in this til the end :D 400 squids is nothing for a better sounding room...

SigEnt
will fuck for food

Post by SigEnt »

Mslwte wrote:ive just bought some eq acoustic corner traps so im out.
If you don't mind me asking - what did you go for?

I have a very small room that is untreated and I'm investigating to see what I can do to improve this.

arkos

Post by arkos »

SigEnt wrote:

I have a very small room that is untreated and I'm investigating to see what I can do to improve this.
As far as I know these resonating metal traps we've been discussing in this thread are the ones to get if space is a problem.

I've not seen anything go this low that's only 4 inch deep. You can get 3 types as well, one that is broadband from 50-5000hz and then two specially for the low's like from 40-500hz...

I'm in a tiny room here too and use Sonarworks as I don't have space for anything but maybe one or two of those metal traps, it helps a lot mixing in here without it is total nightmare and damn near impossible.

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

SigEnt wrote:

I got two of these ones. I think it was Mr Voidloss that has mentioned this company before.

http://www.eqacoustics.com/products-pag ... ass-trap-l

They might not be ideal if you have a very small room.
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

I also have two CM acoustic broadband absorbers on the early reflection points and a couple of homemade absorbers in front and behind me. I do use a bit of high density foam around to room (where the wall meets the ceiling) to tame the high frequency ringing.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Mslwte wrote:
SigEnt wrote:

I got two of these ones. I think it was Mr Voidloss that has mentioned this company before.

http://www.eqacoustics.com/products-pag ... ass-trap-l

They might not be ideal if you have a very small room.
Those things are pretty good, limp mass membranes.
I used some (8) to fine tune the mastering room.
They aren`t going to suck the lows out of the room like these new super jobbies, but they are pretty good, combined with broadband stuff, it`s not a bad solution.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

SigEnt
will fuck for food

Post by SigEnt »

arkos wrote:
SigEnt wrote:

As far as I know these resonating metal traps we've been discussing in this thread are the ones to get if space is a problem.

I've not seen anything go this low that's only 4 inch deep. You can get 3 types as well, one that is broadband from 50-5000hz and then two specially for the low's like from 40-500hz...

I'm in a tiny room here too and use Sonarworks as I don't have space for anything but maybe one or two of those metal traps, it helps a lot mixing in here without it is total nightmare and damn near impossible.
I'd be interested to see how you solve this problem Arkos - BTW do you think Sonarworks has helped you?

Read through this post again this morning and some of the links in in it - It's quite a lot to take in for noob like myself.

Basically my room is 3.15 M by 2 M - the wall behind me has me is a large Ikea Kallax loaded with Vinyl and I have an awkwardly placed window that would prevent me from fitting large bass traps behind my speakers - although there is some room for a smaller bass trap.

I think the biggest problem in my room is bass - kick drums boom and bass sounds are exaggerated.

I have £800 in my music production kitty (this is just hobby for me - I don't release music professionally) , I was going to keep saving for a poly synth of some description but I think some room treatment will be my best investment - obviously I may have to save a bit more money but I can start to plan this stuff. So potentially I'm in for the group buy if that comes off and if the product will actually fit in my room.

Rather cheeky of me - but If I was to post a plan of my room would any of you guys take a look and advise where I should start?

arkos

Post by arkos »

SigEnt wrote:
I'd be interested to see how you solve this problem Arkos - BTW do you think Sonarworks has helped you?
Oh yes it has helped me so much it's hard to put it into words tbh, I can hear bass pretty accurately in my room which I never would have thought possible without some sort of acoustic treatment. It's training my ears as well.
It's not a perfect solution by any means but if space is at a premium it's a "nobrainer" imo. And I think if you combine Sonarworks with some nice acoustic treatment you can get a pretty decent sounding room.
SigEnt wrote: Basically my room is 3.15 M by 2 M - the wall behind me has me is a large Ikea Kallax loaded with Vinyl and I have an awkwardly placed window that would prevent me from fitting large bass traps behind my speakers - although there is some room for a smaller bass trap.

I think the biggest problem in my room is bass - kick drums boom and bass sounds are exaggerated.
Same here I have a huge spike at ca. 50hz and mixing or just doing anything audio related in here was a nightmare before Sonarworks and almost impossible to get anything right, total hit and miss.
Now things actually translate pretty well between systems, my mixes are a lot better but as I said it's not perfect I still A/B against released tunes a lot and still use a spectrum analyzer to look at the frequencies every time.
SigEnt wrote: I have £800 in my music production kitty (this is just hobby for me - I don't release music professionally) , I was going to keep saving for a poly synth of some description but I think some room treatment will be my best investment - obviously I may have to save a bit more money but I can start to plan this stuff. So potentially I'm in for the group buy if that comes off and if the product will actually fit in my room.

Rather cheeky of me - but If I was to post a plan of my room would any of you guys take a look and advise where I should start?
That's a wise decision SigEnt no point in spending thousands on gear if everything you make will end up sounding crap, which it ultimately does when the room is left completely untreated.

My acoustic knowledge dose not go further then reading Ethan Winers website and making rockwool traps so I think someone with more experience will be better at giving advice about your room setup then me but I'll certainly give it my best shot.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

arkos wrote:That's a wise decision SigEnt no point in spending thousands on gear if everything you make will end up sounding crap, which it ultimately does when the room is left completely untreated.
Endless amounts of great sounding music have been made in completely untreated rooms though!

Of course treatment helps but in the end it still comes down to knowing your room and your monitors, checking on different playback systems and having a good mastering engineer :D And a little bit of luck, I think. There are so many tracks from the 90s that were basically just people smashing buttons on crap monitors and untreated rooms and by all accounts should sound like crap today but a lot of them still fucking bang on a club system.

arkos

Post by arkos »

dubdub wrote:
arkos wrote:That's a wise decision SigEnt no point in spending thousands on gear if everything you make will end up sounding crap, which it ultimately does when the room is left completely untreated.
Endless amounts of great sounding music have been made in completely untreated rooms though!

Of course treatment helps but in the end it still comes down to knowing your room and your monitors, checking on different playback systems and having a good mastering engineer :D And a little bit of luck, I think. There are so many tracks from the 90s that were basically just people smashing buttons on crap monitors and untreated rooms and by all accounts should sound like crap today but a lot of them still fucking bang on a club system.
Yeah I know I didn't really want to make the post any longer...A lot of that stuff from the 90's was mixed at a studio afterwards though.
If you know your room and speakers and have well trained ears you can get a good sounding mix in a terrible room sure but who want's to be fighting through that anyways ?

SigEnt
will fuck for food

Post by SigEnt »

arkos wrote:
SigEnt wrote:
Oh yes it has helped me so much it's hard to put it into words tbh, I can hear bass pretty accurately in my room which I never would have thought possible without some sort of acoustic treatment. It's training my ears as well.
It's not a perfect solution by any means but if space is at a premium it's a "nobrainer" imo. And I think if you combine Sonarworks with some nice acoustic treatment you can get a pretty decent sounding room.
SigEnt wrote: Basically my room is 3.15 M by 2 M - the wall behind me has me is a large Ikea Kallax loaded with Vinyl and I have an awkwardly placed window that would prevent me from fitting large bass traps behind my speakers - although there is some room for a smaller bass trap.

Same here I have a huge spike at ca. 50hz and mixing or just doing anything audio related in here was a nightmare before Sonarworks and almost impossible to get anything right, total hit and miss.
Now things actually translate pretty well between systems, my mixes are a lot better but as I said it's not perfect I still A/B against released tunes a lot and still use a spectrum analyzer to look at the frequencies every time.
SigEnt wrote: I have £800 in my music production kitty (this is just hobby for me - I don't release music professionally) , I was going to keep saving for a poly synth of some description but I think some room treatment will be my best investment - obviously I may have to save a bit more money but I can start to plan this stuff. So potentially I'm in for the group buy if that comes off and if the product will actually fit in my room.

That's a wise decision SigEnt no point in spending thousands on gear if everything you make will end up sounding crap, which it ultimately does when the room is left completely untreated.

My acoustic knowledge dose not go further then reading Ethan Winers website and making rockwool traps so I think someone with more experience will be better at giving advice about your room setup then me but I'll certainly give it my best shot.
Thanks for sharing your knowledge Arkos - I think I'll order the Sonar works bundle, it comes with a measurement microphone and a headphone plug-in. Good to hear it has improved things for you.

I'll get a plan together and post it on here thanks for offering to take a look. I have also bookmarked the Ethan Winer website for some more reading.

SigEnt
will fuck for food

Post by SigEnt »

dubdub wrote:

aww yeah, I know about this, and it's a bloody good point - I mean Nude photo was recorded to a c90 FFS. I have read about so many classic tracks that were conceived by setting up gear in the front room of somebody's house and recording the jam.

However I would like to get the best out of my environment - I'm not gonna get obsessive about this, but If can reduce the bass boom in my room that would be really cool.

arkos

Post by arkos »

SigEnt wrote:
Thanks for sharing your knowledge Arkos - I think I'll order the Sonar works bundle, it comes with a measurement microphone and a headphone plug-in. Good to hear it has improved things for you.

I'll get a plan together and post it on here thanks for offering to take a look. I have also bookmarked the Ethan Winer website for some more reading.
No problem mate glad to be able to help.

SigEnt wrote: However I would like to get the best out of my environment - I'm not gonna get obsessive about this, but If can reduce the bass boom in my room that would be really cool.
That's exactly what Sonarworks does for me, I first bought the headphone plugin thinking the "Eq your room" solution was a gimmick.

But after hearing how well the headphone plugin worked I downloaded the demo of the room calibration plugin since I had a measurement mic lying around, and my god I'd never heard my monitors sound as accurate as that not even when I had them in a bigger room with rockwool traps all over the place...

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

New tactic for the cheap ass bedroom produ: I'm going to make a fancy open wardrobe(yeah with those hangers) in my speakers line of fire.

Thing it will help a fair bit as i have nothing atm. Hangers incl shirt etc are about 50cm wid and 15 cm from the wall.