How is this kind of sound done?

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Pagan
Exampleless
Re: How is this kind of sound done?

Post by Pagan »

Lost to the Void wrote:Ah, I take it you are desperate to do the sub rumble kick sound too then.
More like playing with verb/delay returns as described here is just another technique or method to produce sonic elements which connect strongly with the aesthetics of techno, and versatile enough to not need to result in some exact sound like sub rumble bass. Using the higher frequencies of both the source and the verb tail sound really interesting to me, for example, there's a ton of room for creativity with rather simple trick.

I obviously agree that using any method to create an exact replication of someone else's sound is rather boring.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Good answer. Welcome.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Juuso
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by Juuso »

Thanks guys for all your help. I still haven't had time to read all the posts on this. It's quite an adventure trying to figure this stuff out.

I played with the reverb and predelay - what fun! Then I added some percussions and some noise from the free fridell techno mini sample set and also took mattias' tip and inserted a molot. Here's what I came up with. It sounds pretty awful, but apparently it's doable.

I didn't know how to eq it properly. The sound did change dramatically with cuts in different places. Oh well.

arkos

Post by arkos »

Pagan wrote:I can't believe people still doing kicks, hats, claps and synths in their techno. They are all so done. I mean, like every record has the exact same elements.
Have you listened to D&B these day's ? Shit's been the same for 18 years....

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

Don't make me hurt you, Arkos. I liked you up until now. :evil:

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

arkos wrote:
Pagan wrote:I can't believe people still doing kicks, hats, claps and synths in their techno. They are all so done. I mean, like every record has the exact same elements.
Whaaaat? I mean yeah i the main sure, but there is some fantastic mould breaking drum and bass. Not an Amen Break in sight.
New Shit

arkos

Post by arkos »

Planar wrote:Don't make me hurt you, Arkos. I liked you up until now. :evil:
Heheh sorry mate I just ruined it for myself, listen to nothing but hardcore/jungle/d&b since I was a kid and one day I just had enough of amen breaks and reece basses and I honestly thought that it would never happen :shock:

Void, really? Well it's been a while since I even checked out the genre and I don't even remember the last time I bought a d&b tune tbh :o

Maybe I'm just getting old.... :mrgreen:

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

The whole post-autonomic DnB scene is fucking fantastic. I can't fathom how someone into techno wouldn't like what Presha is doing with Samurai and it's sub-labels. The same with Ruffhouse/Pessimist, the latter is pumping out as many techno tracks as DnB anyway. I must have written those last sentences a hundred times on here by now...

Admittedly, the majority of it is still neuro/jump up/liquid shite.

zukenbauer
You only live once

Post by zukenbauer »

Planar wrote:
I just got into neuro last 2 years so for me its still fucking mindblowing..
Can you recommend some artist except this few above?

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

youtu.be/Uz_Ya2_cqSg

Fucking love this, I put this on the mastering speakers and the sub gives me a neck massage. It`s incredible.
New Shit

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

zukenbauer wrote:
Planar wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I've loved neuro in the past, but it's manifesto seems to be less funk and more neuro. Some mindblowing production for sure though.

Artists? Check out:

Blocks & Escher
Homemade Weapons
Ghostwarrior
Akinsa
Space Matters
Clarity
Overlook
Paragon
Gremlinz
Dyl

There's a great youtube channel full of this shit called "Come Meditate", spend some time on there and you'll quickly get up to speed. They get DJ's to do podcasts as well that are worth checking, some might say #16 was the best one ;)

zukenbauer
You only live once

Post by zukenbauer »

Planar wrote:
zukenbauer wrote:
Planar wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I've loved neuro in the past, but it's manifesto seems to be less funk and more neuro. Some mindblowing production for sure though.

Artists? Check out:

Blocks & Escher
Homemade Weapons
Ghostwarrior
Akinsa
Space Matters
Clarity
Overlook
Paragon
Gremlinz
Dyl

There's a great youtube channel full of this shit called "Come Meditate", spend some time on there and you'll quickly get up to speed. They get DJ's to do podcasts as well that are worth checking, some might say #16 was the best one ;)
Nice, i got something to explore now..
Appreciate it

Pagan
Exampleless

Post by Pagan »

arkos wrote:
It's a shame what happened to dnb, it was one of the rare true revolutions in underground electronic music (is there a better word for honest, serious electronic music?), before it went massive and pretty fast down to the shitter after that. I guess there's still good stuff being done, I just haven't been following much. Early dnb blew my mind for both listening and dancing.

Anyway, I was being sarcastic and like "really witty" with that kick etc comment. There are common elements to any genre, and what is cliche and what accepted standard tends to be a line drawn on water.

arkos

Post by arkos »

Lost to the Void wrote:youtu.be/Uz_Ya2_cqSg

Fucking love this, I put this on the mastering speakers and the sub gives me a neck massage. It`s incredible.
I dunno to me that sounds like Photek age's ago :mrgreen:

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Everything sounds like something. You could say it`s photek-ish I suppose. Is that a bad thing? No one else managed to sound close.
But then you could do the same with any techno too.
Go listen to the samurai horo back catalog on the same page as the video I linked. It`s fresh as fuck, just as fresh as any of the non cliche techno coming out.
New Shit