Root - Circular

Post your work here - Ask for feedback or just show it off
Root
BANNED
Root - Circular

Post by Root »

So, as far as i'm new here, this is my first contribution. Hello again, root my name. Happy to be here. I had some years now producing more chilled stuff, but for some time now i'm starting to have some more clubfocused sessions here. Mostly beacause it's fun for me to play them in my djsets and tryout how they work and learn about soundsystems. This one is my first track in this direction. So, here you go, my introduction to subsekt:

[edit: oh, looks like it's not possible to post hidden soundcloud tracks? I'll just post the url:]

https://soundcloud.com/rootffm/09-002-w ... 17/s-8nNfm

Cheerio!
:geek:

Kromasome
arsehole
Re: Root - Circular

Post by Kromasome »

Hi Root, welcome to the community.

(Just for the record, I'm listening at work on my crappy earbuds that don't have any bass response at all - amongst all the other problems they have in terms of being able to objectively provide feedback)

Really interesting track you've got here. Some really cool elements coming in and out. Overall some sounds don't feel like they are very cohesive in terms of the mix, certain sounds seem like they stand out a bit too much and could do with a bit of treatment to get them sitting properly.

It's really hard to offer much more advice due to the different nature overall of the track. For instance the bottom end sounds really cool as a sound design element, but seems a bit strange if it's intended to be the main kick.

Just some quick thoughts while I'm between tasks at work, but overall I think it has a lot of potential.

Root
BANNED

Post by Root »

Kromasome wrote:Hi Root, welcome to the community.

(Just for the record, I'm listening at work on my crappy earbuds that don't have any bass response at all - amongst all the other problems they have in terms of being able to objectively provide feedback)

Really interesting track you've got here. Some really cool elements coming in and out. Overall some sounds don't feel like they are very cohesive in terms of the mix, certain sounds seem like they stand out a bit too much and could do with a bit of treatment to get them sitting properly.

It's really hard to offer much more advice due to the different nature overall of the track. For instance the bottom end sounds really cool as a sound design element, but seems a bit strange if it's intended to be the main kick.

Just some quick thoughts while I'm between tasks at work, but overall I think it has a lot of potential.

Thanks for your feedback! Brings some things in my mind. Regarding the (sub)bass i'd say no chance at all on crappy earbuds for this track :D ..i made it for clubuse and nothing else, i guess. There's a big whomp underneath this farting sound you found as kick, what makes it quiet powerful in a club. I played it already in a set and, well, at least the crowd kept dancing :lol:

I think you found some good points in my mix. I was working a lot to get better in separating elements in my mixes, but it seems as i've gone too far with it. Until you wrote this, i thought everything is fine, but now i know what you mean. I heard the track on my smartphones speaker... :) ...there's definetly some glue needed. Maybe a bit corretion in the audio tracks' loudness and compression on the master.

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

Yo,

Welcome.

I like the noises and quirky sounds that get introduced, although some of them sound a little resonant/ overdriven at the higher frequencies.

I have three issues though.

It doesn't really feel like a track, more like a collection of sounds, I guess due to the arrangement. It doesn't really flow too much, no real structure. Things come in and out, bass drops in and out....

Also in this vein is that there's nothing in the middle between the low end. I'm usually the last to say you could add something, but I think a lush pad linking the highs and lows (filling in the mids).

The low end is far too rigid, there's really no groove down there, it's almost like slowed gabba. No funk or 'bump'. Pretty much what Kromasome said actually!

If you could sort out the bottom end and balancing the mix with some mid-range, then it would fulfill more of its potential.

Root
BANNED

Post by Root »

jordanneke wrote:Yo,

Welcome.

I like the noises and quirky sounds that get introduced, although some of them sound a little resonant/ overdriven at the higher frequencies.

I have three issues though.

It doesn't really feel like a track, more like a collection of sounds, I guess due to the arrangement. It doesn't really flow too much, no real structure. Things come in and out, bass drops in and out....

Also in this vein is that there's nothing in the middle between the low end. I'm usually the last to say you could add something, but I think a lush pad linking the highs and lows (filling in the mids).

The low end is far too rigid, there's really no groove down there, it's almost like slowed gabba. No funk or 'bump'. Pretty much what Kromasome said actually!

If you could sort out the bottom end and balancing the mix with some mid-range, then it would fulfill more of its potential.

Cool, thanks for your feedback! Looks like i've found a great place. Even after hours of showing some friends my tracks i hardly had such an experienced feedback ever.. great.

I can follow your argument, and yes, some mid-range pads sounds like a very good idea. About the arrangement - here you located the thing i'm strugglin with. I come from playing in band, i'm more used in songwriting and it kinda feels not that easy and natural to me to arrange loops and elements. This track was a try to get more monotony, but maybe i should stay somewhere in the middle between more songwriting arrangement style and monotonous loops, where i definetly feel more comfortable and natural in arranging.

Kromasome
arsehole

Post by Kromasome »

Root wrote:
Until you wrote this, i thought everything is fine, but now i know what you mean.
That's the great thing about this place, there are people here willing to listen with fresh ears, and if you apply some of that feedback to your track it might help you to hear/see things that you otherwise wouldn't have considered. I'm not saying to apply absolutely everything that we suggest (I'm definitely not qualified enough to be able to imply that my feedback is 100% technically correct), but it might help lead you to some new thoughts that can help out.

It's great that you tried it out in the mix and that it went well - I'm very envious that you are in a position to be able to do this!

seventh serpent
Poo Fingers

Post by seventh serpent »

i like the sounds of the acid effects maybe they are a little bit cacofonic and too much repetitive.. in my opinion try to give theme some rhytm and differentiation...
insert some sounds-elements that give groove to the track and works for the middle frequencies in my opinion

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

The kick is too distorted, needs some layering with a dry kick to get some punch and transients.

TimBuys
happy bastard

Post by TimBuys »

Big point for me is you are overusing the "rising" sound. It's a cool sound, though not cool enough to use it during the whole track.

Root
BANNED

Post by Root »

Thanks for your feedback! I think you're all right and these are some good ideas.. Makes me think of how my workflow is here. Espacially this track was made like in one day and then i somehow had no more impulse to work more on it. With your ideas i now know that there is more to do, i should think of this next time, when i have no more impulse to go on..

Aurongroove
pregnant

Post by Aurongroove »

It may be a bit too much of the wrong kind of raw.
As in, it sounds too much like you are just inexperienced at blending different elements of audio, rather then being stylishly blazé.

The kick is too imbalanced to work as a club track, it has no click as all and it sounds like it's the furthest away element of the entire mix but it;s bassy boom is nice.
The high percussion sounds too close in comparison, and the synth work is stuck somewhere in the middle distance.

It almost works as a listening piece, but the engineering is just too "wrong" for a club.

The kick drum needs to serve it's functional utility of being the track's 'physical' downbeat, not just a 'musical' one.
The high percussion could do with some distance too, I wold put them behind the synth work.

The weird glassy arpeggio thing is AWESOME, when you apply the delays to it, it's a great musical development, I would pay more with it (or play more obviously).

With the correct reworking, this could be a moody bit of fucked up stuff. You're definitely on the right track, but you gotta keep one ear on practical, utilitarian side of production elements such as kicks and basslines.

You could almost get away with putting a second, closer, more balanced, kick over this, and use the "tone-heavy" kick you currently have as if it was the track's bassline.
I'm Hilarious

Some professional mastering engineers use multi-band compressors.