Boredom/Apathy when reviewing works in progress??

General Chat // Music Discussion
Mono-xID
Uumfääng
Re: Boredom/Apathy when reviewing works in progress??

Post by Mono-xID »

Hades wrote:sounds more than logical to me,
but what is prototype test drive construction ?
Basically it's a big transformator kind of thing which can transform currents and volts from low to very high and vice versa. They're mostly used for Train and car testing environments. The speed frequency can be adjusted very precisely and stageless. And due every customer as other specs, every unit we make is basically a prototype.
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths

CubiK Mass
Alf Garnett

Post by CubiK Mass »

A lot of producer interviews I have read they all throw out way more than they keep, you only hear the better works, they all make lots and lots they aren't happy with.

I read an interview with Randomer the other day, he's very honest, he says 8 out 10 he starts are shit, he told the interviewer that he was lucky, he only gets to hear the good stuff.

Many of them just fuck around a lot, throw shit till it sticks as well, some of the best tracks are formed that way.

I think we all need to remember that.

You don't have to have talent either, you can learn talent in this game for sure, how much music do you listen to and think it's shit, lots, I know I do, but they are out there performing, releasing a few tracks and getting paid.

One thing that can set up apart is your taste in music over the years that has an influence on what you make, and if you have the funk, the rest can be learnt for sure through experimentation.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

There's this lovely book called "Art & Fear" (which got recommended by some subsekt member here a while ago).
It has this story about quantity versus quality :
The ceramics teacher announced on opening day that he was dividing the class into two groups. All those on the left side of the studio, he said, would be graded solely on the quantity of work they produced, all those on the right solely on its quality. His procedure was simple: on the final day of class he would bring in his bathroom scales and weigh the work of the "quantity" group: fifty pound of pots rated an "A", forty pounds a "B", and so on. Those being graded on "quality", however, needed to produce only one pot - albeit a perfect one - to get an "A".
Well, came grading time and a curious fact emerged: the works of highest quality were all produced by the group being graded for quantity. It seems that while the "quantity" group was busily churning out piles of work - and learning from their mistakes - the "quality" group had sat theorizing about perfection, and in the end had little more to show for their efforts than grandiose theories and a pile of dead clay.
Really, it took me a long time to fully realize this, but it's totally true.
You just have to keep on putting in the hours, and things that you struggled with before will get easier in the end,
so you'll win time with that,
but even then, you'll still be making 10 shit tracks and maybe, just maybe, 1 decent one.
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Kromasome
arsehole

Post by Kromasome »

CubiK Mass wrote:A lot of producer interviews I have read they all throw out way more than they keep, you only hear the better works, they all make lots and lots they aren't happy with.

I read an interview with Randomer the other day, he's very honest, he says 8 out 10 he starts are shit, he told the interviewer that he was lucky, he only gets to hear the good stuff.

Many of them just fuck around a lot, throw shit till it sticks as well, some of the best tracks are formed that way.

I think we all need to remember that.

You don't have to have talent either, you can learn talent in this game for sure, how much music do you listen to and think it's shit, lots, I know I do, but they are out there performing, releasing a few tracks and getting paid.

One thing that can set up apart is your taste in music over the years that has an influence on what you make, and if you have the funk, the rest can be learnt for sure through experimentation.
Seems like I must be on the right track - been throwing plenty of shit around lately, so hopefully some sticks soon.
Hades wrote: You just have to keep on putting in the hours, and things that you struggled with before will get easier in the end,
but even then, you'll still be making 10 shit tracks and maybe, just maybe, 1 decent one.
Couldn't agree more - sometimes it can still be a bit disheartening after putting in a fair effort and still feeling like you're a long way off.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Mono-xID wrote:
Hades wrote:sounds more than logical to me,
but what is prototype test drive construction ?
Basically it's a big transformator kind of thing which can transform currents and volts from low to very high and vice versa. They're mostly used for Train and car testing environments. The speed frequency can be adjusted very precisely and stageless. And due every customer as other specs, every unit we make is basically a prototype.
honestly : you still got me totally puzzled.
you're some sort of electrical engineer ?

please try again, and consider me a total dumb-ass. (practical examples always help)

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

Here is our company website...find out for yourself. It's lazy sunday.

http://www.kb-powertech.com/en/
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths

Will Frances
Gnasher

Post by Will Frances »

Good thread, it's like deja vu or and endless risset tone for me and has been for a while, not sure why I'm addiceted to making music, I must enjoy some part of it or the strugggle! I've made a lot of tracks this year and not really liked any of them, I mean I think I don't like them! A lot of self questioning constantly and striving to get to a better product at the end. I had a good 2 years maybe 2.5 years where my stuff never stood up against works I admired at the time, I think you just got to soldier on and keep failing a little less each time, that's my slightly jaded view anyway :|

parents
Opposite

Post by parents »

You can always stop making music and do games!!!! :D
Just do not overload your brain with one thing. try to find a ballance, switch style for a while, take a break. It will come back stronger.

L8Night
Get a fucking avatar

Post by L8Night »

just be confident and believe in your stuff ... take a break like some guys have said , like a week or 2 and come back and start fresh.

winston
unsure

Post by winston »

Hades wrote:There's this lovely book called "Art & Fear" (which got recommended by some subsekt member here a while ago).
It has this story about quantity versus quality :
The ceramics teacher announced on opening day that he was dividing the class into two groups. All those on the left side of the studio, he said, would be graded solely on the quantity of work they produced, all those on the right solely on its quality. His procedure was simple: on the final day of class he would bring in his bathroom scales and weigh the work of the "quantity" group: fifty pound of pots rated an "A", forty pounds a "B", and so on. Those being graded on "quality", however, needed to produce only one pot - albeit a perfect one - to get an "A".
Well, came grading time and a curious fact emerged: the works of highest quality were all produced by the group being graded for quantity. It seems that while the "quantity" group was busily churning out piles of work - and learning from their mistakes - the "quality" group had sat theorizing about perfection, and in the end had little more to show for their efforts than grandiose theories and a pile of dead clay.
Really, it took me a long time to fully realize this, but it's totally true.
You just have to keep on putting in the hours, and things that you struggled with before will get easier in the end,

interesting quote. i suppose a key thing to recognise is that they had to finish the pots. a lot of my problem is stopping or losing interest when i get a certain point of dissatisfaction. taking a track to a point and then deciding it isn't worth it instead of finishing it. but the finishing part is a lot of work, but conversely it is probably the most important part because it isn't the part i can do. even writing that has been helpful as i've recognised that i need to focus on the finishing leg of the process instead of the early creating part.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

winston wrote: interesting quote. i suppose a key thing to recognise is that they had to finish the pots. a lot of my problem is stopping or losing interest when i get a certain point of dissatisfaction. taking a track to a point and then deciding it isn't worth it instead of finishing it. but the finishing part is a lot of work, but conversely it is probably the most important part because it isn't the part i can do. even writing that has been helpful as i've recognised that i need to focus on the finishing leg of the process instead of the early creating part.
If you don't mind, I'd like to mention the "finishing pots" part isn't the most important part of this quote to me.
For years, I never finished any track, until I finally started the whole painful process.
I currently need an average of 40 hours per track that I finish.
That is for the mixing and arrangement part.
The maximum I ever took was 100 hours, which is extremely boring in the end.

Anyway, I think what the most important part is in this quote is the one where you have to be prepared to put in the hours,
and be prepared to start as many tracks as you want.
I used to be the type to finish only 1 out of every 20 tracks I started,
then I started finishing 1 out of every 10 tracks.
Now I some times finish 1 out of every 5 tracks.
Hell, I finish them, but then my perfectionism decides they're still only 95% finished and I don't upload them on my SC anyway :)

But yeah, what I learned along the way is this :
you really, really do get far better by investing, let's say, 80% of your time on quantity and only 20% on quality,
instead of deciding you'll invest 80% on quality versus 20% on quantity.
And I'm a perfectionist, to the extreme.
I remember a few years ago I had a guy painting my hallway, he took about a week to do it (high ceilings, lots of different corners, difficult stairs).
After he left, I took more than a week perfecting his straight lines. So yeah, I needed more time to get the details right than he needed to paint the big parts.
(just to show you how much of an anal perfectionist I am)