What video games are you folks playing?

General Chat // Music Discussion
The_G
Artificial Hazard
Re: What video games are you folks playing?

Post by The_G »

Between kids, work and music, there isn't much time for gaming. So I try to play games that are easy to leave and pick up. A couple I highly recommend are:

Out There (PC/Mac/iOS)

A very elegant (and hard) rogue-like (4x) space exploration game. Similar to FTL but with emphasis on resource-management rather than combat. A bit like one of the those German board games, then. [Review of it here.]

Shadow run Returns trilogy (PC/Mac/iOS)

Isometric-view tactical RPG in the Shadowrun world (cyberpunk plus fantasy). Really addictive, fun.

Stace
Classical Approach

Post by Stace »

Mattias wrote:Love gaming, it's my second life. I own and collect (have a decent collection) them, retro to new ones. Mostly into adventure and RPG but I can cross genre occasionally depending on the game. Currently plowing through Tales of Berseria till the new Zelda comes next Friday.

So many good games coming this year, next up will be the previously mentioned Zelda, Horizon Zero Dawn, Mass Effect Andromeda, Nier Automata and most importantly Persona 5.
I am desperate to play the new Zelda. I have not played since Twilight Princess back in 2008 (?) I am not buying a console for just one game though :( (Getting a PS4 specifically for FF VII is different as it is my favourite ever game)

CubiK Mass
Alf Garnett

Post by CubiK Mass »

Got gifted TitanFall 2 at Xmas, still in it's wrapper, I buy games sometimes for £40, and sell them on Ebay in 8months for £10, still in their wrapper.

I love gaming, but I have limited time to play them these days, and I'm trying to make more music with my limited spare time.

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

terryfalafel wrote:I play a game called Cubase. It's impossible to complete and mostly hard work for not all that much reward, but on a good day there's nothing like it :-)

Seriously though, I loved NES games when I was a kid and still play Tetris a couple of times a year, but these days time's just too valuable to spend on games.
I'm with Terry, I've got around 80 years to enjoy this ride. Not sure gaming is for me.

Stace
Classical Approach

Post by Stace »

CubiK Mass :lol: I am laughing because you sound exactly like me.

Awww, Alume, it can be incredibly cathartic! Do you watch TV at all?? If you do the 2 are pretty interchangeable time wise.

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

StacieAnne wrote:CubiK Mass :lol: I am laughing because you sound exactly like me.

Awww, Alume, it can be incredibly cathartic! Do you watch TV at all?? If you do the 2 are pretty interchangeable time wise.

No I dont, I watch the occasional serie and movie here and there. I know how chathartic those things can be but i really need to slow down before i can fully engage in those activities. The slowing down is the hard part, but im getting better at it.

The more i get better in it the more productive i am actually

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

The_G wrote:Between kids, work and music, there isn't much time for gaming. So I try to play games that are easy to leave and pick up. A couple I highly recommend are:

Out There (PC/Mac/iOS)

A very elegant (and hard) rogue-like (4x) space exploration game. Similar to FTL but with emphasis on resource-management rather than combat. A bit like one of the those German board games, then. [Review of it here.]

Shadow run Returns trilogy (PC/Mac/iOS)

Isometric-view tactical RPG in the Shadowrun world (cyberpunk plus fantasy). Really addictive, fun.
Yeah I've really enjoyed the shadowrun games so far.
Also loved the mad Max game. If you love the movies, and I adore them, then it's a must have. You are the road warrior, fully immersed in the world of mad Max, tearing around the desert at the edge of control of your car.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Yeah I've really enjoyed the shadowrun games so far.
Also loved the mad Max game. If you love the movies, and I adore them, then it's a must have. You are the road warrior, fully immersed in the world of mad Max, tearing around the desert at the edge of control of your car.[/quote]

I love the Mad Max movies, especially the stripped down original. And, hey---looks like It's available for Mac! So I'm sold.

Another cool one, for PC/Mac and also Playstation Network I think, is Stasis. Isometric-view SF horror point-and-click adventure game with a ton of atmosphere.

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

Lost to the Void wrote:Witcher 3, which is one of the greatest games of all time.
You're not wrong. The Witcher III incl it's expansions is on my top 10 best games ever.
Last fall I was in Warsaw for gigs and nearly got a tour at CD Project Red outside of their regular visits. Damn.
StacieAnne wrote:I am desperate to play the new Zelda. I have not played since Twilight Princess back in 2008 (?) I am not buying a console for just one game though :( (Getting a PS4 specifically for FF VII is different as it is my favourite ever game)
Yeah I'm really looking forward to it. I don't even think I'll be getting Switch though, at least for now. Regarding the remake of FFVII and you getting a PS4 for it; then you can enjoy all other great games on the console! I hope they manage to give the game the rightful remake it deserves. And that the director's ambitions actually are possible to realize this time without the company tops decides a no break deadline. . .
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

Monreal
You only live once

Post by Monreal »

STASIS looks like Sanitarium. I might buy it actually.

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

If anyone's interested, the Witcher books (which the games are loosely based on) are amazing. Along with Book of the New Sun*, the best fantasy I've ever read.

*Technically is science fiction, not fantasy, but looks and feels like fantasy.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Hmm gonna check out stasis, sounds interesting.
New Shit

Revaron
reverse genius

Post by Revaron »

I really really want the new Nintendo console, even though the release line up is pretty weak (but Zelda!!!) and I fear it'll go the way of the Wii-U. But I'm not getting one now. At some point hopefully I will. In the meantime I've dug out the 3ds and have been hammering Mario Kart 7. Hundreds of hours sunk into that over the years, still not bored.

parents
Opposite

Post by parents »

Mostly Civilization these days, I also finished Dragon Age 1 & 2 for the .... (i can't count that far) time in my life.... I love gaming!!!!

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

parents wrote:Dragon Age 1 & 2
Man I felt game II had so much potential it didn't break out. Good game for sure but it lacked the adventurous feeling. I thought it would turn when you get the money to do the expedition at deep roads but it didn't. Oh well.

Contention / 005

td3l
reverse genius

Post by td3l »

Been enjoying Diablo 3 lately.

Always happy to play Skyrim.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Ooh, there is a game called brothers. It`s a 3d aventure with a very unique cooperative control system (as a 1 player). It also really gets you in the feels, one of the few games I have played that kinda fucked me emotionally.
well recommended.
New Shit

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

Yeah I really like Brothers. One of Sweden's most beloved directors is involved in that game.

Contention / 005

SFBM
&roid

Post by SFBM »

Most recently: Grinding away hard at Fallout 4 on PS4, really enjoying it as I only got it about a month back.

Yesterday I purchased Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, and the new Yakuza 0 (both on PS4) and am highly looking forward to playing both of those, specifically Yakuza as I heard that series is pretty awesome and has lots of crazy minigames.

HowieRis
quasi-public

Post by HowieRis »

I go in phases. My most recent videogame splurge was 18 months ago when I smashed myself up in a motorcycle accident and took a couple of months off work while I had surgeries on my wrist & hand. Played a few things through but I reached peak neck-beard by completing Dark Souls 2 and getting part way through Demon's Souls before throwing the towel in... Holy shit they just about drove me nuts. They're the gaming equivalent of forcing kids to chain smoke high tar cigs until they puke and never smoke again.

My girlfriend dislikes the idea of games so Logic is probably the only socially acceptable way I get to sit by myself with headphones on for extended periods of time now, which is good because I only rage quit half the time... a huge improvement on Dark Souls. :lol: