Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt
Re: juno 106/60 or elektron analog four

Post by Lost to the Void »

Cloaked wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:
Not true, Elektron stuff holds it`s value extremely well. Much better than a lot of "new" stuff as it has boutique sensibility. MD and MM prices are rising now on the used market, and there is no doubt Elektron stuff will be (already is) considered "classic" gear.
As someone who's owned an Analog Keys for a month, it's nice to see someone being positive about Elektron gear, esp. from someone who knows his stuff. I feel like there's been an unwarranted backlash against their stuff, probably actually against all the hype which did get a bit much a few years back.

Lots of people (including Mono of this parish) I've seen "renounce" their Analog 4 after being crazy for it. Some people out there are fooled by the Analog part and expect it to turn into a Moog once they know their way around. It'll never sound like a Moog, or probably a Juno, but that won't matter because it can do a million things that those synths couldn't dream of.

It's an analogue synth but that totally misses the point. As someone who made their first ever all-hardware, no-DAW-at-all track just last night, it's honestly revitalized my (previously declining) passion for making electronic music.
Well, I think very rightly, Elektron stuff generated a buzz.
That buzz meant all of a sudden everyone wanted one, and so loads bought them, they are not immediate devices, not for beginners of hardware, and they do require some synth knowledge to get the best out of them. Especially the A4, once you dig in though, it`s a very refined and powerful analog synth, it took me about 6 months to really fully "get it" but I knew from the get go that the filters and oscillators had great quality, I jest needed to find all the eccentricities.
So a lot got them, couldn`t really get immediate results, declared them as "bad" or whatever and moved on. And of course the hype had an effect too, but Elektron have a well earned reputation amongst pro`s and enthusiasts for good reason.
I don`t think any synth, in my 20 something years of owning synths, that has stayed with me for any decent duration, has been one that I found instantly "fun" or whatever. Those type of synths tend to get boring and limiting fast in my experience.

Those that stay have secrets that keep emerging over time. I feel the A4 has that, and I really don`t use it`s full potential (I rarely use duo or mono mode for crazy phatness). My use of it is as a solid workhorse core of my hardware set up, providing the spine to my music that the frills get added to later.
The sound is solid and refined, it sits in a mix very very easily, the bass, even when you detune and get it thick, never gets woolly, it remains tight and solid. It has a very Roland like sound.

You just have to know how to wield the thing, it is a little intimidating, as part of a live setup it really shines, which is essentially why I own it.

If you have nothing but moogs your mix will be a squishy mess.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Mono-xID wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote: I`m surprised more people didn`t get them on here. I suppose it comes down to "It`s not REAL Anal Logz"
Analog or not doesn't bother most people on subsekt i guess (or at least i hope so).

I never really cared about Junos, what makes them so special Steve? I always thought they're responsible for cheesy chorus-ey 80's pads. Enlighten me as i'm covered with anal-logs and looking digitalzzz....
The 106 just has a wonderful fizz to it, the filters are lovely, it does really nice bass.
Basically listen to the first 2 Underworld albums, particularly Second toughest.... which is essentially a tribute to the Juno 106.
It`s a synth you can play and generate spine tingles with. It`s about the best device for me, for playing chords, equal to the Korg Monopoly for effervescence in my books.

These 2 tracks are pretty much all 106
youtu.be/Q5GjVvlmg3o

youtu.be/QpfB7LRfEKo

I`ve been looking to buy a Monopoly forever, and only when finding a video where a guy matches monopoly patches to korg minilogue did I realise that you can do monopoly sounds with the minilogue, and that it shares some architecture.
I couldn`t get one any quicker after finding that out, but that`s way off topic.
New Shit

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

Cloaked wrote:Lots of people (including Mono of this parish) I've seen "renounce" their Analog 4 after being crazy for it.
You're right, i was crazy over the A4. I researched over this synth nearly 2 years before i pulled the trigger. And i had a nice journey and i would never ever say it's a bad synth but i had the chance to buy a Dominion 1 for a good price. I compared the sound and workflow and came to the conclusion that the Dominion suits me better in both terms. I don't have much space in my studio corner and ther Dom is a pretty big motherfucker. Besides that there is my modular rig, Mother 32 and the RYTM (which is my favourite Elektron kit, i'll NEVER sell that thing) so the A4 had to go. I just can't justify having 2 big Analog synths.

Maybe i'll get me an A4 again in the future as i really liked this beast. We had a nice relationship but sometimes you have to go parted ways....
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths

Cloaked
hunger marcher

Post by Cloaked »

Mono-xID wrote:
Cloaked wrote:Lots of people (including Mono of this parish) I've seen "renounce" their Analog 4 after being crazy for it.
You're right, i was crazy over the A4. I researched over this synth nearly 2 years before i pulled the trigger. And i had a nice journey and i would never ever say it's a bad synth but i had the chance to buy a Dominion 1 for a good price. I compared the sound and workflow and came to the conclusion that the Dominion suits me better in both terms. I don't have much space in my studio corner and ther Dom is a pretty big motherfucker. Besides that there is my modular rig, Mother 32 and the RYTM (which is my favourite Elektron kit, i'll NEVER sell that thing) so the A4 had to go. I just can't justify having 2 big Analog synths.

Maybe i'll get me an A4 again in the future as i really liked this beast. We had a nice relationship but sometimes you have to go parted ways....
Fair enough. I was referring to a post you made on another forum where you described the sound as straight up "bad" in comparison to the Dom and Mother 32. That's the bit I took a bit of exception to, because I don't it's true.

Yes it's a bit "refined Roland" sounding by default, but even after a month with it, to me it can do nearly anything. It just doesn't do it straight out of the box.

Not saying you didn't put the time in btw, I'm sure you did. Horses for courses, as you say.

tenga
brown envelope

Post by tenga »

this is me when i have a new synth ...
https://youtu.be/cHuWe3RG9DI?t=4s

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

Lost to the Void wrote:
The_G wrote:
ozias_leduc wrote:I would LOVE a juno 106. i love it. the PMW is to die for.

But they're so crazy expensive now. 10 years ago they were a lot more reasonable.

So I think I'm going to get TAL-U-NO-LX next week... sounds quite convincing to my ears
I use U-No-LX a lot. It's a Juno 60 (not 106) emulation, but it's a good one. The Ju-06 sounds a bit more accurate to my ears, and much more fun to mess around with. But with a little tinkering I can recreate nearly anything I make on the Ju-06 with U-No-LX. So it's great value if you like Junos.

A friend recreated the Juno 106 factory sound banks for U-No-LX, btw, and gives them away free (or at least was). Let me know if you want it and I'll ask him for a download link.

(Diva also does pretty good Juno emulation.)
The 106 and the 60, in voice terms, are practically the same synth, and sound very similar, the filter is a little different, but basically the same synth apart from certain features.
You can make the TAL do 106 sounds fairly easily (. some of the dirt that the chorus adds).
I rate the JU`s pretty highly, they are just a little fiddly. I`m surprised more people didn`t get them on here. I suppose it comes down to "It`s not REAL Anal Logz"
Yeah exactly. Mentioned that in my other reply, it's just a slight difference in the filters and trading the arpeggiator for MIDI. Very slight difference; I was just being pedantic.

Agree on the Ju-06. Absolutely love mine.

I imagine Roland would make a killing if they released an affordable 61-key "digital Juno" with the classic design. Sure the analog masturbators wouldn't buy it, but I bet a ton of people would.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

tenga wrote:this is me when i have a new synth ...
pretty funky hairdo man !
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

tenga
brown envelope

Post by tenga »

Hades wrote:
tenga wrote:this is me when i have a new synth ...
pretty funky hairdo man !
ohh yes....this is a cool story man:
the guy in the video is leonardo farkas... he always loved synths and performed "orchestra man" in las vegas ....he is sort of a celebrity in south america...

whats even crazier , is that he is also rich as fuck:

http://www.therichest.com/celebnetworth ... net-worth/

he is some sort of celebrity because he gives away his money to anyone who asks ...

sorry for my off subject post... :ugeek:

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

tenga wrote:
ohh yes....this is a cool story man:
the guy in the video is leonardo farkas... he always loved synths and performed "orchestra man" in las vegas ....he is sort of a celebrity in south america...

whats even crazier , is that he is also rich as fuck:

http://www.therichest.com/celebnetworth ... net-worth/

he is some sort of celebrity because he gives away his money to anyone who asks ...

sorry for my off subject post... :ugeek:
1. this is subsekt, we go off topic ALL the time.

2. you started this topic, so if one day you decide to talk about pregnant alligators that like French kissing dirty diapers that have been marinating on a hot beach all day, or hell, just whatever the fuck you want, that's ok. :D

3. interesting read. Best part was this :
He was involved in a lawsuit by his Australian partners, Admirality Resources, in 2010. It is about him using the company funds inappropriately for personal charity acts.
Ffs, here's a rich fuck giving away stuff to charity, and the other rich fucks are saying "you stupid rich fuck !! You have to be more greedy !!"
The world never changes... :|

arkos

Post by arkos »

But they're so crazy expensive now. 10 years ago they were a lot more reasonable.

So I think I'm going to get TAL-U-NO-LX next week... sounds quite convincing to my ears
Was playing with this last night and it sent chills down my spine just like when I played my Juno-6, amazing emulation!

Thinking of ordering a kit like this; https://sound-force.nl/?page_id=154

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

arkos wrote:

Was playing with this last night and it sent chills down my spine just like when I played my Juno-6, amazing emulation!

That`s neat!
It`s not in their shop though?
New Shit

arkos

Post by arkos »

Lost to the Void wrote:
arkos wrote:

That`s neat!
It`s not in their shop though?
It's sold out and the guy said somewhere on the website that he is not sure if he will make more already built ones but I also saw on the page that both the controllers he offers are available as kits, although like you said it's not in the shop. Fingers crossed :)

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

The mini controller looks cool but it doesn't seem to support The Legend, so...

tenga
brown envelope

Post by tenga »

i can make controllers like this for lot cheaper than that... built one...

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

ok, I want a controller for my Xpander with a dedicated knob or slider for every parameter !
50€ is my budget, max !

just kidding

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

A dedicated Diva controller would be cool as shit. How much, tenga?

tenga
brown envelope

Post by tenga »

The_G wrote:A dedicated Diva controller would be cool as shit. How much, tenga?
for diva , its quite a lot of knobs... but its possible to make it cheap , but expect no case , a plexy glass pannel yes..

Hades wrote:ok, I want a controller for my Xpander with a dedicated knob or slider for every parameter !
50€ is my budget, max !
just kidding
do you mean Oberheim Xpander ? or a vst emulation ?
how many knobs ?

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

tenga wrote:
Hades wrote:ok, I want a controller for my Xpander with a dedicated knob or slider for every parameter !
50€ is my budget, max !
just kidding
do you mean Oberheim Xpander ? or a vst emulation ?
how many knobs ?
I mean the real HW version,
afaik, there's no decent SW emulation.

In case you hadn't noticed : there's the small print of me saying it's a joke.
The Xpander is one of the very deepest HW synths ever made.
So that means TONS of parameters.
And amazingly enough, the interface is pretty good, when you consider how much they had to deal with.
But yeah, if you do think you could make such a thing, I'll happily pay you,
and it will be a lot more than 50€ :D ;)
But then we'd have to discuss all details properly upfront.

tenga
brown envelope

Post by tenga »

tenga wrote:In case you hadn't noticed : there's the small print of me saying it's a joke.
ohh.. i didn't got it... i am not familiar with that synth.... its funny thought :lol:

i know there are interesting thing there to be done... either for VST synths or rack synths....
if you need something like this , don't hesitate to contact me privately...

tenga
brown envelope

Post by tenga »

finally got the juno.... is in mint condition....will post some pictures soon !!!!