juno 106/60 or elektron analog four

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
tenga
brown envelope
Re: juno 106/60 or elektron analog four

Post by tenga »

void ... what do you think about the waldorf pulse ??
would it be any good for my set up ?

arkos

Post by arkos »

Waldorf pulse is a very nice sounding synth you can make some serious bass and leads with that thing. You have to keep jumping between "modes" all the time though when programming the synth since it only has 6 knobs to tweak the sound but tbh it's only annoying at first when getting used to the UI. The sound more then makes up for it.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

tenga wrote:void ... what do you think about the waldorf pulse ??
would it be any good for my set up ?
I don`t know what would be good man, like I said, you have to work out what you want then investigate the synths that will fit your requirements.

The pulse has a nice sound, the oscillators are squishy and phat, it`s a good price.

youtu.be/eCe85tGsfP4
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

tenga wrote: considering im a lousy keyboard player :)
if you say you'll probably take the 60 and not the 106,
you have to remember the 60 doesn't have MIDI.
It works on an old Roland interface called DCB.
It's not so hard getting a convertor, but you have to remember it's an extra thing to pay for.

I've had my Juno 60 for about 12 years now.
Extremely solid synth.
I should really use it more.
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

ozias_leduc
ANAL

Post by ozias_leduc »

I would LOVE a juno 106. i love it. the PMW is to die for.

But they're so crazy expensive now. 10 years ago they were a lot more reasonable.

So I think I'm going to get TAL-U-NO-LX next week... sounds quite convincing to my ears

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

The tal vst is very good.
Actually the Roland boutique module of the Juno is really really good.
My mate brought his and we compared it to my Juno and it's bang on.
Fiddly controls but not impossible. Worth buying I would say.
New Shit

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

ozias_leduc wrote:I would LOVE a juno 106. i love it. the PMW is to die for.

But they're so crazy expensive now. 10 years ago they were a lot more reasonable.

So I think I'm going to get TAL-U-NO-LX next week... sounds quite convincing to my ears
I use U-No-LX a lot. It's a Juno 60 (not 106) emulation, but it's a good one. The Ju-06 sounds a bit more accurate to my ears, and much more fun to mess around with. But with a little tinkering I can recreate nearly anything I make on the Ju-06 with U-No-LX. So it's great value if you like Junos.

A friend recreated the Juno 106 factory sound banks for U-No-LX, btw, and gives them away free (or at least was). Let me know if you want it and I'll ask him for a download link.

(Diva also does pretty good Juno emulation.)

ozias_leduc
ANAL

Post by ozias_leduc »

Thank you! That's okay though, I like to noodle around myself :)

Interesting - I was curious about the difference between the JU-06 and the U-No-LX (I've never used a Juno 60 personally so the difference in sound between a 106 and 60 is not apparent to me!)

Gah now I want a JU-06 again, feel like I missed the boat on that one

ozias_leduc
ANAL

Post by ozias_leduc »

ALTHOUGH a plugin would be more handy for me. Yeah. Stickin to the TAL plug decision

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

ozias_leduc wrote:Thank you! That's okay though, I like to noodle around myself :)

Interesting - I was curious about the difference between the JU-06 and the U-No-LX (I've never used a Juno 60 personally so the difference in sound between a 106 and 60 is not apparent to me!)

Gah now I want a JU-06 again, feel like I missed the boat on that one
The filters are a bit different (though not that different) and the Juno-60 has an arpeggiator whereas the 106 has MIDI. So not a huge difference.

Why would you have missed the boat on the Ju-06? It's still available.

ozias_leduc
ANAL

Post by ozias_leduc »

Ah - they were just quite cheap here in Melbourne for a while! Not in stock anymore - and with shipping from overseas it bumps the price up a bit.

tenga
brown envelope

Post by tenga »

i decided i don't want to think about this anymore....
i've just bought a JUNO 60 in ebay for 815 eur..

i will pick it up this weekend.... the owner says the "function 14" has no sound is the only defect..

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

tenga wrote:i decided i don't want to think about this anymore....
i've just bought a JUNO 60 in ebay for 815 eur..

i will pick it up this weekend.... the owner says the "function 14" has no sound is the only defect..
what the hell does he mean with "function 14" ?
preset 14 ?

815€ is a really decent price nowadays for a juno 60 !
Might I suggest you this Kenton unit for easy MIDI control ?

http://www.kentonuk.com/products/items/dcb/prodcb.shtml

have fun with it ! ;)

tenga
brown envelope

Post by tenga »

I think he means preset 14... ... i guess if i reload the factory banks (by tape right??) i could fix it...

about the midi control , i took a look at the protocol , and making a adapter seems quite trivial ...
i will look a little more into it , or if im lazy will by the Kenton ... ;)

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

why bother about 1 single preset ??
(that loading by tape process is so much 1985 or even worse, you might want to consider using your time for some better purpose)
honestly, the juno 60/106 is extremely easy to program, so even with like 30 or 40 presets working
you'll do more than fine.
have fun with it !!!
(and let us hear some results !!)
;)

WOLF!
Grand

Post by WOLF! »

tenga wrote:i've just bought a JUNO 60 in ebay for 815 eur..

That's a very nice price; how is the condition of the Juno (except the 'function 14')?
If it works fine you gonna love the old Roland beast!

tenga
brown envelope

Post by tenga »

WOLF! wrote:
tenga wrote:i've just bought a JUNO 60 in ebay for 815 eur..

That's a very nice price; how is the condition of the Juno (except the 'function 14')?
If it works fine you gonna love the old Roland beast!

it seems in decent condition from the photos...
i will test all voices , filters and keys and look under the hood for interventions before bringing it home...

Cloaked
hunger marcher

Post by Cloaked »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Not true, Elektron stuff holds it`s value extremely well. Much better than a lot of "new" stuff as it has boutique sensibility. MD and MM prices are rising now on the used market, and there is no doubt Elektron stuff will be (already is) considered "classic" gear.
As someone who's owned an Analog Keys for a month, it's nice to see someone being positive about Elektron gear, esp. from someone who knows his stuff. I feel like there's been an unwarranted backlash against their stuff, probably actually against all the hype which did get a bit much a few years back.

Lots of people (including Mono of this parish) I've seen "renounce" their Analog 4 after being crazy for it. Some people out there are fooled by the Analog part and expect it to turn into a Moog once they know their way around. It'll never sound like a Moog, or probably a Juno, but that won't matter because it can do a million things that those synths couldn't dream of.

It's an analogue synth but that totally misses the point. As someone who made their first ever all-hardware, no-DAW-at-all track just last night, it's honestly revitalized my (previously declining) passion for making electronic music.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

The_G wrote:
ozias_leduc wrote:I would LOVE a juno 106. i love it. the PMW is to die for.

I use U-No-LX a lot. It's a Juno 60 (not 106) emulation, but it's a good one. The Ju-06 sounds a bit more accurate to my ears, and much more fun to mess around with. But with a little tinkering I can recreate nearly anything I make on the Ju-06 with U-No-LX. So it's great value if you like Junos.

A friend recreated the Juno 106 factory sound banks for U-No-LX, btw, and gives them away free (or at least was). Let me know if you want it and I'll ask him for a download link.

(Diva also does pretty good Juno emulation.)
The 106 and the 60, in voice terms, are practically the same synth, and sound very similar, the filter is a little different, but basically the same synth apart from certain features.
You can make the TAL do 106 sounds fairly easily (. some of the dirt that the chorus adds).
I rate the JU`s pretty highly, they are just a little fiddly. I`m surprised more people didn`t get them on here. I suppose it comes down to "It`s not REAL Anal Logz"
New Shit

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

Lost to the Void wrote: I`m surprised more people didn`t get them on here. I suppose it comes down to "It`s not REAL Anal Logz"
Analog or not doesn't bother most people on subsekt i guess (or at least i hope so).

I never really cared about Junos, what makes them so special Steve? I always thought they're responsible for cheesy chorus-ey 80's pads. Enlighten me as i'm covered with anal-logs and looking digitalzzz....
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths