Arguments that make your eyes roll

General Chat // Music Discussion
The_G
Artificial Hazard
Arguments that make your eyes roll

Post by The_G »

Waded into a ridiculous conversation about synthesizers, where some dude claimed that "the difference between hardware and software is in the filters." That made me think: what are the things people say-about gear, techno, etc.--that reflexively make your eyes :roll:?

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt
Re: Arguments that make your eyes roll

Post by Lost to the Void »

All audiophile nonsense drives me crazy.
Jazz cables etc.
The guy that delivered the amps for my mastering room was an audiophile (he runs a a proper audiophile store) and he asked if he could stay to hear the setup and we chatted for ages.
The shit he came up with, he had never met a studio guy or a mastering engineer and I was pointing out loads of stuff from a technical perspective and it blew his mind and his crazy audiophile theories. He left here questioning his faith.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

ozias_leduc
ANAL

Post by ozias_leduc »

Hah - the best jazz cable I ever saw was a thousand-ish dollar audiophile USB cable. that was a good one.

But yes any debate like mp3 vs wav, cdj vs turntables, VA vs analogue synth... urgh. Tedious and always debated by complete morons.

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

ozias_leduc wrote:Hah - the best jazz cable I ever saw was a thousand-ish dollar audiophile USB cable. that was a good one.
Yeah, but that one will increase your quads per channel ratio so it's totally worth it.

ozias_leduc
ANAL

Post by ozias_leduc »

From memory the review adored the "sound stage" that was largely improved by the cable

intrusav
Rolf Harris

Post by intrusav »

All the usual, pc vs mac, intel vs amd, chuck norris vs bruce lee...
Come on now, even the dogs on the street know that chuck norris has the best audio cables in existence!

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

The "Logic's sound engine sounds better than Abletons" bullshit makes me cry every time.
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths

terryfalafel
Component

Post by terryfalafel »

Yup, the audiophile stuff takes the biscuit. £1k USB or optical cables, unidirectional audio or power cables, so much stuff that's contradictory to simple physics.

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

I had no idea that a USB cable could cost 6k. And here I was using the ones I 'borrowed' from work, like some schmuck.

That's why my music isn't as good as I need it to be.

http://www.audiofile.nl/absolute-dream-1

How stupid do I feel now? *looks for credit card*

Plyphon
endless

Post by Plyphon »

The new Crystal Cable Absolute Dream is the first coaxial cable to not only use monocrystal silver for its core but also apply monocrystal technology for the double layered braid: one silver plated monocrystal copper layer and a newly developed braid composed of both monocrystal silver and gold plated braid wires.

Ah thats a shame, I wanted it for my polysynth but this cable is only monocrystal.

Aurongroove
pregnant

Post by Aurongroove »

It's not an argument as such but rather a lazy belief people harbor that seems to come out when people are drinking near concert halls, posting on social media, or when I'm doing a classical singing gig or dressed in a tux for any reason.

It's a two parter;
They accidentally believe that "classical music" is all of the music that is posh and has violins in it. That it is all sacred music except gospel, and that it is all the posh music with violins in it made during the Renaissance, the Baroque era, the classical era, the romantic era, and pre-nowadays.

This is usually coupled with this misunderstanding, that "classical" music is like a master race of music;
To learn "classical music theory" is to learn "music theory" and all other forms of music is either music made by people without "music theory" or else is a form of traditional music made by spear chuckers hitting animal hides, or someone with a computer going through a 'phase'.

When I feel the rage burning up, I might intentionally and arrogantly drop an academic qualification followed by something like"yes, of course what a lot of 'classical music' (air quotes if I'm feeling especially spiteful) players, teachers and listeners overlook, is the fact their branch of music is a just another type of folk music, just like rock 'n' roll, reggae or dubstep (and I try to find the three genres of music that I imagine the person would have the least respect for) and that music theory used in one of these regions and points in history, very often contradicts others significantly within the western art canon"
I might then go on to say something like
"If there is any branch of music theory I would encourage a young child or musician to take up it would be jazz theory,which is more intuitive, more relevant to musical culture and instruments of the last 120 years, and it makes you a much better musician and performer then modern classical theory does"
Last edited by Aurongroove on Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm Hilarious

Some professional mastering engineers use multi-band compressors.

Stace
Classical Approach

Post by Stace »

"It sounded better in the DAW"

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

some guys who is totally in the scene who says he can drop my music of this/ there to have it played here/there.

The music goes where is goes. Promotion is a perculiar thing.

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Opinions! aarg, opinions that dont contribute or say anything in particular. you jsut shouldnt bother with them sometimes, but that just my opinion.

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

Alume wrote:some guys who is totally in the scene who says he can drop my music of this/ there to have it played here/there.

DJ Craptalk: Hello, my name is DJ Craptalk. I do a weekly podcast on internet radio station called Funkfreaks Radio with 38 listeners. Also I run a monthly event in a suburb of Vienna.

Your latest tracks are really good and I'd like to play them. Can you send me your tracks please?

Cheers.

Me: Hey there, thank you for your interest in my music. Unfortunately I don't release my music anymore through labels due to bad experiences. Also I give away my music only to people I know and trust. Hope you understand and have a nice day.

DJ Craptalk: Oh, I'll not give your tracks to other people, trust me. Lots of well know Producers gave me their tracks for promotion.

Me: Please understand that I won't give away my babies. Thanks.

DJ Craptalk: Who do you think you are? I bet if I was Chris Liebing you'd send them over within a second. Fuck you.

Me: :shock:

Really happened to me...

TheBinaryMind
pregnant

Post by TheBinaryMind »

Mono-xID wrote:
Alume wrote:some guys who is totally in the scene who says he can drop my music of this/ there to have it played here/there.

DJ Craptalk: Hello, my name is DJ Craptalk. I do a weekly podcast on internet radio station called Funkfreaks Radio with 38 listeners. Also I run a monthly event in a suburb of Vienna.

Your latest tracks are really good and I'd like to play them. Can you send me your tracks please?

Cheers.

Me: Hey there, thank you for your interest in my music. Unfortunately I don't release my music anymore through labels due to bad experiences. Also I give away my music only to people I know and trust. Hope you understand and have a nice day.

DJ Craptalk: Oh, I'll not give your tracks to other people, trust me. Lots of well know Producers gave me their tracks for promotion.

Me: Please understand that I won't give away my babies. Thanks.

DJ Craptalk: Who do you think you are? I bet if I was Chris Liebing you'd send them over within a second. Fuck you.

Me: :shock:

Really happened to me...
I bet DJ Craptalk was Chris Liebing in disguise ;)
Anyway, it's striking how many people ask "can I have promo?", DJ Craptalk is absolutely not on his own.

Monreal
You only live once

Post by Monreal »

Mono-xID wrote: Also I run a monthly event in a suburb of Vienna.
I think that was me :)

Chizmata
quasi-public

Post by Chizmata »

The_G wrote:Waded into a ridiculous conversation about synthesizers, where some dude claimed that "the difference between hardware and software is in the filters." That made me think: what are the things people say-about gear, techno, etc.--that reflexively make your eyes :roll:?
the classic "if you dont play an acoustic instrument you are not a musician.". yes those people still exist.

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

Monreal wrote:
Mono-xID wrote: Also I run a monthly event in a suburb of Vienna.
I think that was me :)
You don't get a shit from me, you hear me? Fuck you... :lol:

WOLF!
Grand

Post by WOLF! »

'Boom tsss' computer music is easy to make and only takes 5 minutes to finish :x .