Boredom/Apathy when reviewing works in progress??

General Chat // Music Discussion
Kromasome
arsehole
Boredom/Apathy when reviewing works in progress??

Post by Kromasome »

I'll be upfront and apologise now for the length of this post.

I'm not sure if I'm just putting together fairly boring tracks or if my boring day job is influencing my state of mind.

I've been bouncing heaps of my tracks to audio to listen to and make notes on while I'm at work, but lately I just find that I'm feeling less and less happy with them. Maybe I've listened to them too much already, or they are quite simply not good enough (most likely this). Most of the "reviews" for the last handful that I listened to simply say - "needs a proper arrangement"

I've been working hard to "finish" tracks fast as a method of getting better (a little bit like how a photographer sometimes takes 100 crap photos to get just 1 amazing shot) , and ultimately to end up with a portfolio of finished tracks. But that has resulted in quite a lot of tracks that I know aren't really finished, but might have potential to be something reasonable if I focus my attention on the right areas of the right tracks. For instance, I currently have 39 tracks on my thumb drive that I have started making notes on to try and make them better or sound more finished, but I now find myself being overwhelmed by what to work on. I probably have another 20 on top of that waiting to be bounced to be reviewed.

I also find that as hard as I try to make tracks that aren't too similar, there definitely feels like there's a bit of cookie-cutter type production going on which makes me quite disappointed in myself (yes I do use basic templates to get songs going quickly but change it around regularly - every 2 weeks or so). But I guess making crap tracks doesn't really matter as long as I'm learning/progressing my skills because most of those tracks won't ever be heard by anyone except me, but they are stepping stones in getting me to the level that I want to get to, so maybe they are a necessary evil and I just have to do more hard work to find the tracks that stand out more.

I don't feel like I'm naturally talented at any of this, which is why I have pushed myself to work hard to try and find ways to make tracks that still sound good even without feeling like I have any decent song writing abilities (I basically experiment a lot and just try different ideas until I find an overall sound that seems to "work")

I know my ears/brain probably need a rest for a while, but I hate the idea of not working on any music while I wait for the cycle to come back around again (where I feel fresh and inspired again). So, instead of listening again to stuff that might still be too stale, I start new tracks and then the cycle continues.

Again, sorry for the long and rambling post. Just thought I'd see if anyone else has been or is in a similar position - and what you do in the times where doubt starts to take over...

Merah
arsehole
Re: Boredom/Apathy when reviewing works in progress??

Post by Merah »

Take a break.
Creativity is not a technique, it is a way of life.

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

Yeah, I agree on the taking a break.

I often wonder about my hobbies 'So much effort for such relative mediocrity', as I'm not actually naturally talented at much.

But time away from music (like a month), always has me ready to start again.

Stace
Classical Approach

Post by Stace »

If you are not enjoying it, take a break. Immerse yourself in a new series or a book. I find that I always have to be doing something, you might be the same in that respect (I think a lot of musical people are TBH)

If you are still enjoying it then stop focusing on finishing things. Maybe just set out to make some sounds that you really like, or make some recordings and work just with them. Sometimes really limiting yourself can make you more creative :)

Good luck with it though, I think a lot of people here can relate to the burnout feeling of producing.

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Music seems to be life, though life isn't all music.

Live to make music, and make music to live.

Find the balance in that cycle.

----

So yeah, have a kitkat man.

Sasemoi
clown

Post by Sasemoi »

Try taking a break from the music style you're making right now. take influence from everywhere, new genres, old genres. give those a go. pick up a new instrument if you wanna stay into music. stop the creative flow and allow yourself to be inspired by other things.

to name a few that work for me, even though i usually can't see it at the time when im going through such a phase, but hang in there buddy :)

Monreal
You only live once

Post by Monreal »

1) How long have you been making music? You need tons (for some people even more) of hours to find your sound and be really comfortable with it.

2) Try finishing a song in one sitting and wait couple days to listen to it. If you don't like it simply delete it, I know sometimes it's hard to say goodbye to your work but it's much better than hoarding music that you're not 100% happy with it.

Overall this thing takes time, I've been producing music for the last 6 years and in this timeline I've only released one EP in a really small label (huge mistake), one remix for a friend of mine and one track in a VA compilation. But I know I'm making better music than last year and I feel like I'm getting there. So yeah frustration is a big part of the learning, just hang in there and as I said before delete them and move on with your production.

Merah
arsehole

Post by Merah »

I quit music a couple of times last year, came back stronger each time.
Creativity is not a technique, it is a way of life.

Kromasome
arsehole

Post by Kromasome »

First of all - thank you all for taking the time to read my post and offer your thoughts and advice.

I certainly will take all of the advice on board to find the best way forward that works for me.

I don't feel like quitting at all, and I'm probably just having a bit of a moment where self-doubt has become strong again (or as my wife calls it - a "poor me" moment).

I'm trying to not get caught up in worrying myself about releasing anything, but I'd like to be happy enough with more of my music to be able to more confidently share stuff that I can say I'm proud of. Getting a track into Planar's mix was huge for me and a massive compliment - and sending the tracks in was a big step - let's just say I'm probably my own worst critic which can make it hard to hit the send button!

Lots of great ideas to try, so thank you all once again for letting me know your thoughts - I know I'm not unique in this, but it's still nice to know that some of you have been there too and are still pushing forward.

For what it's worth, I'm finding that listening back to just the audio (not looking at the bloody screen for hours on end) and making notes with a real pen and paper has been beneficial for working out where to go with the tracks. I might make use of the notes function in ableton at some stage, but for now I'm liking the pen and paper option more.

tsaro
Lifer

Post by tsaro »

When I get like that, lately what I do is just destroy (almost) every elemnt with distortion, combs etc, and then try to bring it back to something listenable. Might not give great results every time, but it's fun to do at least. And if all else fails, taking a break is the best method indeed. Usually gives you a fresh perspective when you come back to it, and having some distance from your tracks can give new insights on what you need to do to them.
how far do you want to go

Dattington
Alf Garnett

Post by Dattington »

Kromasome wrote:
For what it's worth, I'm finding that listening back to just the audio (not looking at the bloody screen for hours on end) and making notes with a real pen and paper has been beneficial for working out where to go with the tracks. I might make use of the notes function in ableton at some stage, but for now I'm liking the pen and paper option more.
Hugely underrated activity to do. I find that listening to a track in a different setting (and, more importantly, a bounced version rather than an editable project file) really changes the way you hear your track. I think it helps get you out of 'producer mode' and into 'listening mode'.
Previews and clips are in the playlist below:

kertikristof
Wastedddd

Post by kertikristof »

Kromasome wrote:For what it's worth, I'm finding that listening back to just the audio (not looking at the bloody screen for hours on end) and making notes with a real pen and paper has been beneficial for working out where to go with the tracks. I might make use of the notes function in ableton at some stage, but for now I'm liking the pen and paper option more.
That is a great method to rest some part of your overdriven music maker brain. You are still working on what you are in love with, but as you said its refreshing not to stare on the screen. Keep having and looking for such practices, find the balance as others suggested. For example if you wish to make better arrangements and lets say you are writing some dance tracks, then imagine your track in a dark club with flashy lights and think about your track what time, what type of change does it need. Or listen to the bass outside of your room.
https://intech.studio <- Modular MIDI controllers, MaxForLive devices, DIY Eurorack panels and intech life.
@ https://www.instagram.com/intechstudio/

Stace
Classical Approach

Post by Stace »

Oh, another thing that I find super helpful is really switching up what you are actually making. I have started making a lot of ambient recently when I got a bit burnt out with techno :)

zukenbauer
You only live once

Post by zukenbauer »

Yeah man just try to take a small break and try not to think about production at all.

zukenbauer
You only live once

Post by zukenbauer »

I agree with Monreal about trying to make something in 1 session.

I found myself in simillar situation recently so i took a break(alot smaller than i thought it will be) and said to myself that i wont make anything till i really feel that i want to sit and make something.
After a little more than a 2 weeks i just felt like i want to sit, make a coffee and start to make some nice synths without intention to make a full track, just a little bit of sound design.
I was doing that for a few hours, made some elements that fits nicely together and then left it for 2 or 3 days so i can come back with fresh ears.
All i can say is that im really happy with the output so i will doing that way for some time now.

Hope that helps somehow.

winston
unsure

Post by winston »

i wouldn't delete your tracks and move on. I'd move on, but i like to every now and then, when they pop up, listen to old tracks or half-finished&bounced quick arrangements that i have made over the years and think back to that time when it was all new and enjoyable and i was just doing what sounded good instead of doing what i think is right or what should be done. getting wee flashbacks of being in my bedroom at my parents house, or having shit set up on my dining table and just playing tunes. compared to other tracks in my music folder, they don't stand up sonically, but they all have a little piece of me in them, a little bit of my soul when i had one, a little bit of a dream when i had them too. it is good to still have those ableton files that i can open up and have little play with, a little tweak here and there that tries to add an extra piece of the puzzle without it all toppling into a pile of shit. one day i'll finish a track that i think is good, one day i'll finish a track that sounds the way i imagine it sounding and i'll play it and then i'll play a dusty old mp3 of mine from 2004 and i'll think, "you're alright man".

i would say Kromasome that you are over thinking things. it is the modern curse. i do it too & i reckon everyone else here does as well. getting back to the fun is what you need. i don't know how you can do it, sorry mate. but don't delete your old shit, don't delete your so called failures, your so called disappointments. that is needed for the making of the man, or woman or however you define yourself. [it's all ok with me].

youtu.be/1sH0uR2u7Hs

Aurongroove
pregnant

Post by Aurongroove »

I found myself obsessing over unfinishable tracks, like "Fuck this, I deserve my music to be easier to finish-and-sound-good then they're proving to be".

I think one of the shames about online audio sharing, and what it has become is, I can often feel under pressure for everything I do to be good, and everything thing after that to be noticeably better. and it makes the whole affair stressful, disappointing, and sad.

But recently my philosophy has changed.

You gotta remember why you like creating.

You're not, I assume, in a position where you NEED to produce your music, and the music NEEDS to sell well or your family will starve?
if not, then bang. That's the pressure off, you CAN stop finishing music if you want, you can just go and play with sounds, with no pressure to even "make something exportable".

Second, if you aim is to "express yourself with your work" (this is one of the reasons I make techno) then it's not written anywhere that you ALSO need to IMPRESS people while expressing yourself. You can communicate with someone without impressing them, children do it all the time with their shit crayon paintings.
When people feel sad, sometimes what they need to express isn't impressive, or entertaining, or nice to hear, or "better quality" then the last thing they expressed.

Sometimes an expression is what it is, and all you have to do is let it be, and the right people will see/hear it and be glad you shared.

We give ourselves rules to work by, and we then strangle ourselves with those same rules. Sometimes it nice to just play and see, and discover something about yourself.
I'm Hilarious

Some professional mastering engineers use multi-band compressors.

msl
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Post by msl »

Yeah take a break. Maybe lay off the techno for a while and do a side project to get your creativity and excitement flowing again, collab with someone new etc.

You shouldn't be hating all the stuff you've bounced... but you should be selective and say progress only 1 in 10.... to final. No need finish every one, move on as some tracks are just not worth finishing. I have hundreds upon hundreds unfinished tracks and thats how they are going to stay, filed away in folders.

The tracks I have bounced down, if I still like them in 3-6 months I know they are probably worth trying to finish them.
www.bernadettetrax.bandcamp.com
www.soundcloud.com/michaellovatt

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.” Dune

Kromasome
arsehole

Post by Kromasome »

msl wrote:Yeah take a break. Maybe lay off the techno for a while and do a side project to get your creativity and excitement flowing again, collab with someone new etc.

You shouldn't be hating all the stuff you've bounced... but you should be selective and say progress only 1 in 10.... to final. No need finish every one, move on as some tracks are just not worth finishing. I have hundreds upon hundreds unfinished tracks and thats how they are going to stay, filed away in folders.

The tracks I have bounced down, if I still like them in 3-6 months I know they are probably worth trying to finish them.
Certainly agree that taking a break is the best thing - problem is, I find it hard to sit there at night and do nothing - I hate wasting away watching the TV when I normally only get a couple of hours at most after getting the kids to bed, and then dragging myself off to bed because I get up at 4.30 for work each morning. So I almost feel guilty if I don't do some work on music. I'll try doing some more sound design - probably the most enjoyable thing for me - but that normally ends up in me throwing some basic arrangement together because I get too curious about what that new sound will turn out like in a "full track".

I think my biggest problem is trying to review too many of my own tracks at one time - it all just blends into one big techno jumble (ok, i'll admit it sometimes the tracks are more tech-house and even prog house)

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

Kromasome wrote:

Certainly agree that taking a break is the best thing - problem is, I find it hard to sit there at night and do nothing - I hate wasting away watching the TV when I normally only get a couple of hours at most after getting the kids to bed, and then dragging myself off to bed because I get up at 4.30 for work each morning. So I almost feel guilty if I don't do some work on music.
I have exactly the same situation as you.

I can't sit and make music every night, as sometimes I don't want to. Instead I have another hobby that I do that takes preference twice to three times a week.

That way I keep my music making as 'fun' rather than as a sense of duty.